Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Ah, I still haven't actually gotten over to WM yet... so that's why I wasn't aware of any blockages yet. Good to know.

So, I guess the idea of an outboard chip (outside the qualcomm chipset, assuming there's a way to allow that chip to interface with the chipset, or perhaps a DMA interface) to handle the immediate camera processing (read from sensor & do post-processing) at the cost of physical space, heat, battery power, development time, and money just wasn't going to fly, especially since "tech companies have to pay for vowels".
    lol

The "next gen" of Qualcomm chips will most definitely be able to handle larger sensors--and it seems obvious that GSM devices can do that (I believe AT&T is getting that 5mp Sony phone).

These are just like computers: eventually you'll need separate processors and memory allocation for each component: radio, video , phone, gps. The msm-7xxx series started that with the dual processor route, it just wasn't executed as nicely

One interesting find going through Qualcomm's paperwork was that the older chip sets (msm-6xxx) was flat out not capable of VGA, which is one major reason we never saw a VGA WM device in the US. The msm-7xxx can though and oddly enough...talk about crippling hardware...the Asus p750 has a VGA screen but it is disabled (!)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    These are just like computers: eventually you'll need separate processors and memory allocation for each component: radio, video , phone, gps. The msm-7xxx series started that with the dual processor route, it just wasn't executed as nicely
    I don't think that it's absolute that there will be an eventual need for each component to be separate. I do think that if a manufacturer wants to push the envelope of the features available in a given device, they may have to make the decision to use separate components instead of integrated ones, but those tradeoffs will have to pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    One interesting find going through Qualcomm's paperwork was that the older chip sets (msm-6xxx) was flat out not capable of VGA, which is one major reason we never saw a VGA WM device in the US. The msm-7xxx can though and oddly enough...talk about crippling hardware...the Asus p750 has a VGA screen but it is disabled (!)
    Yeah, that was weird about the p750. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention... is it only Qualcomm's chips that can be used in the U.S.? Or only for CDMA? Does this all have to do with their fights with Nokia and Broadcom?
    Who's flying this thing?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12