Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Sorry if I've missed this....but do the current Treos like the 755p have infra-red beaming to send contact info. to others with a PocketPC phone? Will the 800w have this feature?
    Thx,
    Roger
    The latest HTC phones do not have IR, and since HTC is making the 800w it seems unlikely it will have it too. This is no loss, since bluetooth is now ubiquitous in cellphones.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The latest HTC phones do not have IR, and since HTC is making the 800w it seems unlikely it will have it too. This is no loss, since bluetooth is now ubiquitous in cellphones.

Surur
    Too bad Total Commander doesn't support BT sending...
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    On the Palm OS front, every "official" Palm OS device released to date includes IR (including the Fossil Abacus PDA watch).

I'm not sure about some oddball Asian-market devices such as Acer or GSPDA efforts but I know Palm's always included IR, even in its cheapest Zire & Centro devices.

I'd personally expect the 800w (and all future Palm devices) to omit IR since the "me too" 500v lacks it and I doubt Palm is expecting the number of 800w owners to be beaming their contact info to Garnet Treo owners worthwhile enough to merit its inclusion. If the 800w ends up being the first device to carry the new Palm proprietary connector, I'd se this as Palm's excuse to have a clean break from the past and ditch IR along with the Athena connector for all future WinMob & Athena devices.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    If the 800w ends up being the first device to carry the new Palm proprietary connector, I'd se this as Palm's excuse to have a clean break from the past and ditch IR along with the Athena connector for all future WinMob & Athena devices.
    Its really HTC's proprietary connector, which at least means there is already an ecosystem set up around it.

Surur
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    What? HTC is making the Palm?

I am holding a Mogul, another HTC.
    Yep, HTC manufactures the Treos, hence little things like the HTC bootloader on the 650.

Here's the Treo 700w back in the early beta stages, when it was referred to as the "670":

The beta looks nicer than the final product.