1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    Just got a new treo and I'm amazed at all its capable of doing! anyway, I was wondering what I can do to send and receive text messaging without being charged (struggling college student). I have unlimited internet.. so is there some kinda IM program that i can use where ATT wont be able to detect it and charge each IM as a text? Also, with my unlimited internet, im teathering my treo to my laptop without a teathering plan.. will i get charged?? pls help! thank you
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    First, the word is "tethering" - no "a".

Whether you'll get charged for tethering depends on exactly which plan you have. If it's a plan with "Media" in its name, then you might get charged if AT&T notices.

As for SMS, you can ask your contacts if they can receive SMS as email, and send that way. They'd need to respond by email and not SMS as you'd get charged on receipt.

However, are you sure your voice plan doesn't include SMS? Most of them do nowadays, at least some.

Tell us the names of the voice and data plans you have and we can advise you better. If you log on to the AT&T Mobility web site you can view all the details of your plan.

I don't know of a way to use an SMS application and not have the messages count as SMS.
    Quote Originally Posted by finalrush View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just got a new treo and I'm amazed at all its capable of doing! anyway, I was wondering what I can do to send and receive text messaging without being charged (struggling college student). I have unlimited internet.. so is there some kinda IM program that i can use where ATT wont be able to detect it and charge each IM as a text? Also, with my unlimited internet, im teathering my treo to my laptop without a teathering plan.. will i get charged?? pls help! thank you
    Look, i'm a college student too, but you sound cheaper than cheap.

Ok, if you have any of the unlimited Media Net packages, like the $19.99 plan, it includes 200 text messages at least, or like the previous reply suggests, you'll have to use an I.M program or use email format.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  4.    #4  
    LOL im not cheap, im unemployed! Thanks guys for the responses.. well i use a lot of text.. about 1000 a month and if there is another method of sending text for free i rather use that to save $15 dollars. My current att plan is $15 dollars for unlimited internet.. and $15 for 1500 text messages.
    SMS is SMS. If you use it, you'll get charged for it.

You could load an IM client to chat with friends (which does not use SMS), but they have to be online and it also doesn't stop anyone from sending you a normal SMS.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    Its best to just send email on the form of SMS, b/c otherwise you don't want to get high texting bill ok. If you are working soon I recommend the unlimitted txtng for $29.99/at&t. Good Luck!
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t