Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does the wm treos have the threaded sms like the palm755p and centro? will the 800w have it?
    Tritan

May the Pda be with you!!
    The Treo 750 has it and it was hacked by people like hannip for use on any WM phone. Cody has a good instructions manual on it as well.

If the 800w has WM 6.1, it will definitely have threaded SMS as that is standard in 6.1. I know because I am running 6.1 on my Mogul.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't have it, its on WM 6.0 and you have to install the hacked threaded SMS from the 750.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The hacked SMS from the 750 is buggy and barely works. Total waste of time. The threaded SMS from 6.1 is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    The hacked SMS from the 750 is buggy and barely works. Total waste of time. The threaded SMS from 6.1 is the way to go.
    What kind of problems did you have with the Palm version? I ran it on my 700wx and on my Mogul without any issues other than the ones related to Sprint's network.

I take that back...when I first installed it, I didn't complete all the steps and I started having issues. Once I got some help from hannip, I got it going right. We didn't have the benefit of Cody's walkthrough back then unfortunately.

Regardless, if you do go with the Palm threaded SMS from the 750, make sure you use the right version for the 800w. There is a copy in the Mogul section that should do nicely. You don't want to use the version Cody has with the picture instructions as that version is for the older AKUs. If you put that version on a newer AKU you will have issues. Also make sure you clear out all the SMS before installing or you will likely run into issues.
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    Same here, never had any issues when running Cody's Palm version of the thread SMS app.
    I used Cody's version and the shogun version. Major problems with texts not being sent or received. As soon as I would uninstall, I would magically get the old texts delivered to my phone.
    it just didn't work for some people. 1 out of a 1000 would have problems. that goes for the treo alert app, xcast, and most other apps. i dont know if is the installers or something wrong with the phone it self. some said these types of problems could be conflict with another app they had installed.

what i do know is that people that had a problem with an app shouldn't complane about it so much. if they would take a good look at the rate of success they would see that the mojority of the people are happy.

for example... TREO ALERTS. there are 1599 downloads of that app. there are 3-5 people who have not got it to work right. when you look at the posts, half of them are of the few who had problems. this makes it look like a bad app. people are so negitive. this discourages developers and keeps them from wanting to write.

you got to realize that the develpoers here are just regular people giveing the community FREE apps. more than i can say the service providers are doing.

the threaded sms app has a pretty darn good success ratio. it may not do mms, but hey, it's better than nothing. yes the wm6.1 version should be great. it will be built into rom and should be faster and stronger.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    I used Cody's version and the shogun version. Major problems with texts not being sent or received. As soon as I would uninstall, I would magically get the old texts delivered to my phone.
    Yeah but to side here with Cody, the overwhelming majority had success with it--and considering this was a hack/transplant, that's pretty good. It's easily one of the most popular apps requested for on any forum.

Fact is, if you have a Treo 750--you would have had no issues.

And for the OP: there are now 3rd party programs (Extreme Text, SMS-Chat) in addition to the Palm native and 6.1 native for a threaded solution. I'm not too concerned.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Is the WM6.1 better than the Palm one? I guess to be fair is does the Treo 750(alone as it is native to it) have a better SMS software than the phone with WM6.1?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Is the WM6.1 better than the Palm one? I guess to be fair is does the Treo 750(alone as it is native to it) have a better SMS software than the phone with WM6.1?
    I like the Palm threaded better than the native 6.1 version. The look of the Palm one is a little cleaner, makes better usage of screen real estate and it has smileys which the 6.1 doesn't.

The 6.1 is nice because it uses the standard cemail.vol message location so SMS backup software works with it. Plus any other software that interacts with the cemail.vol will play nicely. Of course its still pretty easy to backup the Palm version.

I currently use the built in WM 6.1, but used the Palm threaded for about a year.

Pic on left is WM 6.1 native threaded SMS. Pic on right is Palm threaded SMS

Last edited by stroths; 02/16/2008 at 08:49 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    I like the Palm threaded better than the native 6.1 version. The look of the Palm one is a little cleaner, makes better usage of screen real estate and it has smileys which the 6.1 doesn't.

The 6.1 is nice because it uses the standard cemail.vol message location so SMS backup software works with it. Plus any other software that interacts with the cemail.vol will play nicely. Of course its still pretty easy to backup the Palm version.

I currently use the built in WM 6.1, but used the Palm threaded for about a year.

Pic on left is WM 6.1 native threaded SMS. Pic on right is Palm threaded SMS

so the 800 won't have the one on the right just the one on the left? I can't believe it can't do smiley icons that is a huge bummer. I tryed a 755p last fall so I know how it works but I am looking at a new device I currently have a feature phone . I have been checking out the bb pearl and treo 755p. I want to get my wife a pearl or a centro. We both want threaded sms after my experience with texting on the palm 755 last fall we both think that is the way to go . I have researched the bb and they don't have anything close. I have checked there threads and some current bb owners complain and state" that is what I miss about the bb". I would love to have the wife and I both have threaded messaging for use at work etc and it seems like palm is the only way to go.
    I have been holding out to see this new treo 800 to see if it has alot of advantages from the 755p but I don't know much about the WM side of things I have had palms since they came out in the late 90's.
    I also have a question can my wife if she has a centro just get the unlimited texting plan does she have to have the internet plan also for threaded sms? With out the internet plan she just can't get mail or use the internet corrrect? does google maps work?
    Tritan

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    We really don't know what the 800w is coming out with, most people say it's doubtful it'll have WM6.1 so if it comes out with WM6 it'll be up to Palm to include Threaded SMS... if not, most people will just install Cody's version.

Even if it comes out with WM6.1 Palm may decide to include their versions of threaded SMS, they are known for customizing the WM OS and they have been doing a fair job at it. I never had to hard reset my 700wx, it worked flawlessly.

Threaded SMS is regular text messaging, it is just a software that changes the presentation. So you could have a Sprint Power Pack Plan + Unlmited SMS ($10/month) and NO data (internet) and she would be fine.

However, most users will say that having a PDA without a data connection kinda sucks (at least I think so ). And be careful not to access data since it can be very expensive without a plan...

Hope that helped.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
    We really don't know what the 800w is coming out with, most people say it's doubtful it'll have WM6.1 so if it comes out with WM6 it'll be up to Palm to include Threaded SMS... if not, most people will just install Cody's version.

Even if it comes out with WM6.1 Palm may decide to include their versions of threaded SMS, they are known for customizing the WM OS and they have been doing a fair job at it. I never had to hard reset my 700wx, it worked flawlessly.

Threaded SMS is regular text messaging, it is just a software that changes the presentation. So you could have a Sprint Power Pack Plan + Unlmited SMS ($10/month) and NO data (internet) and she would be fine.

However, most users will say that having a PDA without a data connection kinda sucks (at least I think so ). And be careful not to access data since it can be very expensive without a plan...

Hope that helped.
    I have a had time having her keep the phone current moto 720 flip phone charged so I don't think I will have an issue with her accessing the internet. Thanks for the info for the sprint plans, we are thinking the 69.99 plan for 700 minutes should be enough and then adding the 10 dollar unlimited plan.
    Tritan

tritan,
    if you are on sprint or are thinking about switching to sprint, check out the SERO plan on sprint - $30 for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited data and unlimited text messaging. do a search on TC more info.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    tritan,
    if you are on sprint or are thinking about switching to sprint, check out the SERO plan on sprint - $30 for 500 anytime minutes and unlimited data and unlimited text messaging. do a search on TC more info.
    I am on nextel now, is this better to get us both on servo or just do a family share plan?
    Tritan

16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    tritan,
    search isn't coming up with anything..
    Tritan

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How can I use threaded SMS on my Mogul?
    So with WM6.1 will the Palm threaded SMS work and if so will MMS still be threaded?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tritan View Post
    search isn't coming up with anything..
    Here is the website, http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/sprin...epclanding.asp. Use this email address, savings@sprintemi.com, or any other listed at the site below.

Go to this site to answer any questions, http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=526998.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Here is the website, http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/sprin...epclanding.asp. Use this email address, savings@sprintemi.com, or any other listed at the site below.

Go to this site to answer any questions, http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=526998.
    so can you get servo then apply your corperate discount to that or is that not allowed? I need a plan for me and my wife so I don't know if this will work . According to the website you can't share minutes on servo so i don't know if it will pay to do to servo's at 30 each or 69.99 for 2 lines at 900minutes.
    Tritan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast