1.    #1  
    I attended our corporate convention this past weekend. I ran into the Palm rep that was also attending our convention. I was excited to ask him for information about the 800w. He informed me that 800w is not the name for the product and that they refer to it by a code name. He said that they have not decided on a name yet and it will be released sometime in 2008. He said it will be a simultaneous release with the Treo 700wx Windows 6.0 upgrade. Does anybody know what the release date is for the 700wx windows 6.0 upgrade?
    That rep must have been having you on. No word of any WM6 upgrade for the wx has emerged, only the more recent 750. Maybe this means the 800w will never come at all...

Surur
    WM6 upgrade for the 700wx would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by ek9max View Post
    WM6 upgrade for the 700wx would be cool.
    If true, and assuming that it would work well with the 700WX available memory, yes, it would be great.
    If true, hard to get even remotely excited about it. The company and its products are starting to be viewed as backward and w/ disdain. Check out this commentary of BGR. Again, Palm has to be a HBS case study on how to ruin a company, a product line and a brand.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...ntro-unboxing/
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    If true, hard to get even remotely excited about it. The company and its products are starting to be viewed as backward and w/ disdain. Check out this commentary of BGR. Again, Palm has to be a HBS case study on how to ruin a company, a product line and a brand.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...ntro-unboxing/
    Say is more easy than do. How many things we know behind the scene? I doubt. To upgrade the OS is not difficult if they need to take care of the customized software required by carriers will make it very difficult. It needs to take care the the compatibility of customized software to the new OS or other application and re-certify. From carrier viewpoint, the re-certfication is a low priority because it applies to old machine by manufacturers and the process requires their manpower but not generate much income.

Why nobody complained the HTC Flame, it launched after the WM6 available in the market for a long time. It is similar to people's comment about BB is better than WM. Recently a few users in our company switched from WM to BB (because they listened to the so-called professional advice from their BB's friends) and they keep complaining how dumb the BB is. I believe not too many people are tech savy. They use the device based on their perception but not actually compared the products. Even some financial analysts' comments are also based on their perception.

I think Palm has done a great job after the EP team joined. Upgrade of POS devices are a great move. It makes existing customers happy and more ease for Palm to support. (standardize the software.) Upgrade 700wx OS to WM6 will be a good move IMHO.
    Of course we all want our aging devices to be updated, however that would remove the need to spring for the next version wouldn't it? That's the price to pay for being an early adopter. It would not make much sense for Palm to invest money and effort into a free upgrade, when they would also possible lose potential upgrade customers as a result.
    Quote Originally Posted by snumblock View Post
    Of course we all want our aging devices to be updated, however that would remove the need to spring for the next version wouldn't it? That's the price to pay for being an early adopter. It would not make much sense for Palm to invest money and effort into a free upgrade, when they would also possible lose potential upgrade customers as a result.
    It makes a lot of sense for Palm to do the upgrade in this case. For the carrier, they would be able to pitch the fact that one OS to support over devices is better than two. This also sounds great to the carrier's customers.

The certification process for upgrades is a beast, and something Palm hasn't seemed to do well with in the past. There might be chance that this changes considering the management and developer shakeups that have happened. However, until something more substantial happens - like and update and release of a new model - then all that one has is prior art and the OP's comments.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Maybe they can name it 900w or 1000 just to make it look like a "revolutionary" product. But we've seen the picture, it's not a huge departure from the current design.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Palm Megatron imo
    The palm "soundwave"
    The media device which transforms the way we view media.
    Captain Columbo!