Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. zeus661's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have Alltel and a Treo 700wx. I plan on adding the $29 data plan. What is the best EMAIL configuration to use to maximize battery life? By best I mean software setup and push or pull.

    Also with the configuration I do NOT want any additional monthly fees. Would also prefer no advertisings in my emails.

    I have no problem purchasing new software but would prefer free if possible.


    Treo 700wx Alltel

    Honda Valkyrie Rider
  2. #2  
    I know you want free so look into mail2web for free push mail. I have 1and1 and pay $5 a month for push mail. Its awesome, very fast and reliable. Hits my phone when mail arrives.

    Or you can set up a POP account to check mail from every minute or up to 60 minutes. Obviously if you have it checking constantly it will be a battery killer.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

    Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

    Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3. #3  
    PushEffect is great. Setup your email accounts to forward mail to your phone. PushEffects sees the forwarded mail, which triggers the email to be downloaded. Great on battery, since it only retrieves mail when it's actually there. PushEffect is a 1 time cost.
  4. zeus661's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
       #4  
    With push email I would have to leave the internet connection connected all the time? Doesn't that use more battery? Or is it just when pulling for emails? I am kind of confused about battery issues with push and pull email. Can someone clarify it?


    Treo 700wx Alltel

    Honda Valkyrie Rider
  5. #5  
    I feel you just have to accept the fact that these devices do a lot and the more of what they're capable of which we demand of them, then battery becomes a choke point.

    I simply use my device to the max daily and keep a very small usb charging cable on my person AND a spare battery. I bought a 2600 battery to be my main battery and keep the original charged and on my keychain.

    It's the nature of this beasty.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I feel you just have to accept the fact that these devices do a lot and the more of what they're capable of which we demand of them, then battery becomes a choke point.

    I simply use my device to the max daily and keep a very small usb charging cable on my person AND a spare battery. I bought a 2600 battery to be my main battery and keep the original charged and on my keychain.

    It's the nature of this beasty.
    its true. up until I got a spare battery, and a car/wall combo charger I was always tip toe-ing around my treo for fear of drainage. now I'm using it all the time and if drainage occurs I got a spare. as far as email options, I'm in love with gmail imap available. it works flawlessly. I can sort mail in folders and it syncs my inbox with my phone as well as all my other folders. nothing but the inbox stays download in your phone, unless you want to sync all your folders. I have mine set to check every 15 min. I've tried many free push options and have not been very satisfied. I think push would be excellent, if I had a push server, but I don't and I'm not willing to pay for one. I manage a full batter per day and for days that are extra heavy usage (video streaming, radio streaming, mp3 listening, next messaging, web surfing, IM-ing, emailing, document editing, picture taking, music downloading, of course talking, and everything else I do on my phone) I have a spare I change out usually around 5pm. sometimes to conserve battery I turn down my backlight, but using treo keylight also helps to turn off the keylights and conserve battery...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus661 View Post
    With push email I would have to leave the internet connection connected all the time? Doesn't that use more battery? Or is it just when pulling for emails? I am kind of confused about battery issues with push and pull email. Can someone clarify it?

    It ONLY connects when there is new mail to be retrieved. No new emails, no internet connection to retrieve it, more battery life. I use it and love it.
  8. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    It ONLY connects when there is new mail to be retrieved. No new emails, no internet connection to retrieve it, more battery life. I use it and love it.
    Just to clarify this, crazie eddie is still referring to an app called push effect which is unique in that it uses SMS to trigger a sync. The vast majority of push email solutions maintain a constant data connection. PushEffect is great (I'm currently using it) but using the built-in Microsoft Direct Push is also very good and really doesn't hammer your battery that much. As long as you're charging it nightly (and you should be) I don't think you're going to run into battery problems.

Posting Permissions