Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Nope the Sony has WM6.1 not 6.5. Did the pantech have threaded sms and mms? If not then it still 6.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Oddly enough wm 6.1 came with pantech duo that I held a couple of days ago... on ATT website they claim it is wm 6.0.
    Either no one is buying that phone and/or you're the only person in the world who knows it

Back to the discussion: No one is quite sure when Wm 6.1 will be (or was) released to OEMs--that is a huge factor in planning a release. But it's about 3 months from release to a fully tested version for hardware--then another 3 months for carrier testing. So yeah, it does take a long time.

Also, for obvious reasons, a non-branded GSM build of the OS is faster to release than one for a very controlling company like Verizon or Sprint.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    who do you think is more controlling sprint or vzw when it comes to pda phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Nope the Sony has WM6.1 not 6.5. Did the pantech have threaded sms and mms? If not then it still 6.0.
    Naw, I took a quick look at the "about" screen... to be honest, I thought nothing of it... looked like wm 5.0 to me, but it felt a bit different, so I checked the about to see what it was. Said 6.1.... I thought no big deal... actually, I was a bit disappointed... should have said wm 5.5. But that is me....

If I knew it would have caused such a ruckous and odd posts like Malatestas, I'd taken a picture.
    Last edited by theog; 02/21/2008 at 01:39 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape
    who do you think is more controlling sprint or vzw when it comes to pda phones?
    both are very strict/picky on testing (yet both still release buggy devices, natch)...Verizon cripples BT, GPS and caps data (technically; Sprint used to block GPS, still blocks MMS...I'm going to go with Verizon.

Treo 755p failed Verizon's tests for months, passed on Sprints...so even on tests, Verizon seems worse I suppose.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    both are very strict/picky on testing (yet both still release buggy devices, natch
    Treo 755p failed Verizon's tests for months, passed on Sprints...so even on tests, Verizon seems worse I suppose.
    Hmmmmm, I dunno....if the phone failed Verizon's tests, it simply means that Verizon is more demanding of bug-free phones.........just my 2c.
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by kortez View Post
    Nope, check mobile-review.com
    The final version of X1 will have wm6.5 with touches as wm7.
    I have seen that too, but look at these shots. They both show it running 6.1.
    http://www.sefanatics.com/Kuvat/other/X1_WM61.jpg
    http://www.winmobiletech.com/022008B...a/x1liv-09.jpg

So with 6.0 Palm won't be behind the curve at all, since you might see many companies not even install 6.1 on their phones or give an update.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Hmmmmm, I dunno....if the phone failed Verizon's tests, it simply means that Verizon is more demanding of bug-free phones.........just my 2c.
    Roger
    In theory, you're correct. In practice...not so.

The 755p wasn't actually "buggy" it just has some legacy technology in it that Verizon is not so keen on, so Palm had to do some extra tweaking to get it in line with Verizon's "standards"--but the phone actually worked fine--it's no different now than the Sprint version.

Going further, the ppc-6800 was released on Verizon with all the same bugs and hiccups as the Sprint version (not enough RAM, poor BT stack) and they obviously signed off on the 700w, which anyone who has used it for more than a couple of mins knows that it is hardly an ideal phone.

Verizon may have more bureaucracy, which has the appearance of being extra-demanding and more thorough.

Yeah the 6800 is an odd one the Verizon pics were leaked first, but some how Sprint get it first with all its problems and then VZW get their version with the same problems. You are right about the 700w, it is hardly an ideal phone, but it was actually a nice phone(minus the memory issue) no matter how you put.

Maybe VZW is delaying the 800w, because they don't want to make the same mistake they did with the 700w? Unless, it is a Palm issue? Didn't we just find out that the Centro like passed FCC fillings over a year ago or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Maybe VZW is delaying the 800w, because they don't want to make the same mistake they did with the 700w? Unless, it is a Palm issue? Didn't we just find out that the Centro like passed FCC fillings over a year ago or something?
    The Centro passed FCC testing in mid-June, both GSM and CDMA versions but wasn't officially "Certified" till this week for GSM--the reasons for that is as soon as the device is certified, they have to show the FCC lables and some docs to the public, so the testing was completed May-June, but they purposefully held off to keep it on the DL.

Engadget was a bit wrong about the "year ago" thing--what Palm did was submit initial paperwork for the FCC labels in Dec '06, but the FCC ID was not added till May, right before testing began which means there was no device in Dec, Palm was just getting the ball rolling on the paperwork.

Re: 800w delays, I can think of a few potential reasons
    • Software buggy
    • Add flush screen (in line with Drucker)
    • Add WM 6.1 (or higher)
    • Qchat

That last one is the most interesting possibility, imo. QChat requires RevA which we know Sprint has not officially launched for their phones yet. QChat is on the same release as the Treo and we have seen a few QChat enabled devices floating around (Samsung, LG) with Sanyo also on board. A QChat enabled WM device would be pretty incredible (push to talk, push to picture, push to GPS, push to everything, really).

WM 6.1 would make sense b/c the WM Treo is an enterprise device and 6.1 is pretty important for that market--the might also be the first to market in the U.S. with such a device.

The flush screen (or hardware changes) makes sense if the Drucker is indeed the GSM sister device--they would want hardware parity for manufacturing reasons.

There is also a known tight supply of Qualcomm chips right now which may also be effecting production schedules.

This is all speculation, but all possibilities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123