1.    #1  
    Iíve been using a 755p and just switched to a 750 due to a job change. My first reaction is that I want my Chattermail back, but that ainít gonna happen.

Iíve been reading through the ďkiller appsĒ threads, but am very new to the Win Mobile OS and have some questions.

First, what exactly is the operating system on this phone? Is it Windows Mobile 6, Windows Smartphone EditionÖ? I am not sure.

Second, my companyís IT dept. automatically syncs the contacts, calendar and task list, but they donít sync the memos/notes from Outlook to the Treo. I use those a lot and need a work-around for this. If I just do a manual sync, will that take care of it, or do I need to get some third party software? The IT guy didnít know and didnít seem too interested in changing what they do.

Next, I need to get some new software pretty quickly to replace some old standbyís from the Palm OS world and would appreciate some advice.

What are the best Win Mobile equivalents for:

NVBackup (It can do scheduled backups to the memory card and a full or selective restore)

Butler (alarms and nifty utilities)

Megaclock (lots of time-related utilities but the main one I used was the timer function)

Lightwav (gives you control over callerID and lets you block numbers from calling and/or text messaging you)

Quicknews (you can set up RSS feeds for various news sources and writers and can easily check and read the latest offering)

Xiino Ė a fast web browser

I use Splash ID, but Iím going to assume that the best equivalent is Splash ID for Windows Mobile/Smartphone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky76 View Post
    Iíve been using a 755p and just switched to a 750 due to a job change. My first reaction is that I want my Chattermail back, but that ainít gonna happen.

Iíve been reading through the ďkiller appsĒ threads, but am very new to the Win Mobile OS and have some questions.

First, what exactly is the operating system on this phone? Is it Windows Mobile 6, Windows Smartphone EditionÖ? I am not sure.

Second, my companyís IT dept. automatically syncs the contacts, calendar and task list, but they donít sync the memos/notes from Outlook to the Treo. I use those a lot and need a work-around for this. If I just do a manual sync, will that take care of it, or do I need to get some third party software? The IT guy didnít know and didnít seem too interested in changing what they do.

Next, I need to get some new software pretty quickly to replace some old standbyís from the Palm OS world and would appreciate some advice.

NVBackup (It can do scheduled backups to the memory card and a full or selective restore)

Megaclock (lots of time-related utilities but the main one I used was the timer function)

Lightwav (gives you control over callerID and lets you block numbers from calling and/or text messaging you)

Quicknews (you can set up RSS feeds for various news sources and writers and can easily check and read the latest offering)

Xiino Ė a fast web browser

I use Splash ID, but Iím going to assume that the best equivalent is Splash ID for Windows Mobile/Smartphone.

Thanks
    The first 750's had Windows Mobile 5 Pro. Most newer devices ship with Windows Mobile 6 Pro. If you're still running WM5, you can upgrade the OS for free.

NOTE: WM6 Pro is NOT the same as WM6 Smartphone Edition. As a general rule of thumb, if you have a touchscreen, it's a PPC (Pocket PC). If you don't have a touchscreen, it's most likely a smartphone. The OS's are different as the devices operate differently.

As for syncing with Exchange, there is nothing your IT dept can do about that. Syncing with Exchange only allows for Contacts, Calendar, Email and Tasks. However, when you set up a relationship with your computer, you can sync Notes, Favorites, Files, Appointments, and Media with your PC (via Bluetooth or data cable).

As for backups, your device should have a software disc in it's box that most likely has a free copy of Sprite Backup. If you don't have it, then buy it. You need some kind of backup util.

Can't speak to the rest of the apps as I didn't use Palm OS on Treos.

For the timer app, check out the freeware link in my sig. Of if you need something like a world clock and currency converter, look into WorldMate Pro. The free version still has lots of good stuff.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    I feel your pain. I miss Chatter as well. Welcome to this side, I think you will find that you like it (mainly because of it's integration with the exchange server)

Sprite Backup comes on your CD, and it works as well, or better than NVBackup (you can set it to make a backup copy to your desktop/laptop in addition to your Mini SD card.

Unfortunately, that's the only application I used to use on the Treo 650 that you used as well. There's only one or two applications that I miss thusfar, but I'm quickly getting over it.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  4.    #4  
    Thanks much to both of you. That helps a lot!
    Sparky - I'd also answered one of your posts on the Cross Platform thread - you may want to take a look over there. On to your current question (and I too was a long time Palm OS user, and used some of the apps you have on your list below, so I can relate).

---------------------------------------------

First, what exactly is the operating system on this phone? Is it Windows Mobile 6, Windows Smartphone Edition…? I am not sure.

As was already answered above, you can get WM6 now for the 750, and I'd definitely suggest it. It's very nice.

Second, my company’s IT dept. automatically syncs the contacts, calendar and task list, but they don’t sync the memos/notes from Outlook to the Treo. I use those a lot and need a work-around for this. If I just do a manual sync, will that take care of it, or do I need to get some third party software? The IT guy didn’t know and didn’t seem too interested in changing what they do.

I too use my Notes a ton, and you'll have to set up a local cabled ActiveSync relationship with your PC to get them to sync. Not to worry - the nice thing about ActiveSync is that it will be able to tell that you already sync your email, contacts, calendar, etc via EAS and it won't set up those with the local sync. This is exactly how I have mine set and it's no problem at all. No issues or conflicts.

Next, I need to get some new software pretty quickly to replace some old standby’s from the Palm OS world and would appreciate some advice.

Sprite, as was talked about before. But - you might find, as I have, that the way WinMo works might cause you to not need a backup program. Here's why - since <most> of your stuff is backed and synced directly to the Exchagne server, all of that is taken care of there. And if you end up setting up a local ActiveSync relationship with your PC - any apps and programs you end up installing are a breeze to re-install. No, that doesn't cover things like Prefs and Speed dials, etc, but - just a thought. I don't use a backup programs and haven't missed it.

I was a HUGE user of Butler and some of their other stuff, but, once again, I find that I don't need any of that with WinMo.

No suggestion there.

I know of some options there, but maybe some others who use these can suggest some.

I use AND LOVE Newsbreak - great RSS reader for WinMo. You can grab a fre trial at www.ilumsoft.com - that URL also works over the air.

Xiino – a fast web browser

I am fine with Pocket Internet Explorer (much better than Blazer) and have tried (and deleted) just about all the new ones coming on the market - yes, I've tried and rejected Skyfire, Iris, Zumobi - none of them were good enough for me, ON A SMALL SCREEN.

I use Splash ID, but I’m going to assume that the best equivalent is Splash ID for Windows Mobile/Smartphone.

I use another Ilium product - eWallet, and like it better than Splash ID for WinMo. On my Palm OS deviced I had used Passwords Plus from DataViz and eWallet was about the closest thing for me.

There you go - some options and food for thought for you.
    I use Notes extensively, and I miss being able to password protect them as on the Palm OS. Is their anyway to do this that I haven't figured out with the WM OS?

Thanks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
  7. jsy
    for the lightwav replacement, maybe you can try Spb phone suite, it provides the caller ID function, Phone profiles, speed dial, and many more.
    I'm stuck to it right now.

hxxp://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/phonesuite/?en
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

Sprite, as was talked about before. But - you might find, as I have, that the way WinMo works might cause you to not need a backup program. Here's why - since <most> of your stuff is backed and synced directly to the Exchagne server, all of that is taken care of there. And if you end up setting up a local ActiveSync relationship with your PC - any apps and programs you end up installing are a breeze to re-install. No, that doesn't cover things like Prefs and Speed dials, etc, but - just a thought. I don't use a backup programs and haven't missed it.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you there. Syncing keeps your email, contacts, schedule and tasks safe, but that's all. Any programs or files would be lost after a hard reset.

Many programs have setups that are tweaked extensively to get working "just right" for what you want. TCPMP is an example. (If you've ever set it up for smooth playback of streaming media, you know what I'm talking about.) Registry tweaks and hacks are another example. For me to get my device exactly the way it is today by starting from scratch would easily be over an hour, and I'd probably still overlook something.

I heartily recommend doing a backup when you're happy with your config and keep it somewhere safe as a baseline for restoring. I also do backups prior to loading unfamiliar software, as you never know what issues may arise. Uninstalling doesn't always fix the issues that the new program may have caused.

Considering that a backup only takes a few minutes to create or restore, it's well worth it versus time spent reloading an customizing all your apps all over again.

I see threads in this forum all the time with people having problems. In a lot of cases, the simple fix for these issues is "Hard reset and load your last good backup"

Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    Uninstalling doesn't always fix the issues that the new program may have caused.
    I'm going to use this opportunity to suggest that spark76 also look into MemMaid. It's a great program for WM that keeps the registry clean, and cleans out dead shortcuts/bad registry links/bad uninstall, etc... It may save you from having to restore from a backup prematurely.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
  10.    #10  
    I really appreciate the suggestions. I've tried most of them already, but have been having some sync issues. (I do need to sync to the PC as well as synching to the exchange server.)

My 755p synched with no problems but now it's like my usb ports don't work (for the Treo only - they are fine otherwise). I may try getting a bluetooth adapter for my PC and doing a bluetooth sync.

I guess another program I'd like is something like zlauncher. Win Mobile does a lot and I'm getting used to it (slowly) but it seems like there are so many layers to get through to find files or change settings.
    I really appreciate the suggestions. I've tried most of them already, but have been having some sync issues. (I do need to sync to the PC as well as synching to the exchange server.)

My 755p synched with no problems but now it's like my usb ports don't work (for the Treo only - they are fine otherwise). I may try getting a bluetooth adapter for my PC and doing a bluetooth sync.

I guess another program I'd like is something like zlauncher. Win Mobile does a lot and I'm getting used to it (slowly) but it seems like there are so many layers to get through to find files or change settings.
    Not sure about the sync problems. Need a little bit more detail there, XP or Vista? Did you install Active Sync? Did you run through the initial setup to establish the partnership between your 750 and your computer?

I used to use ZLauncher as well. I really didn't like the way WM did everything, but then I installed WisBar Lite. It makes it more "laptop/desktop" windows-like. Cascading Menus, an easy to access task manager, and touching the "x" closes the program rather than minimizing it. Customizable too. They have a 7 or 15 day (I think it's 15) trial period. It made the transition less painful for me.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Also, keep in mind that when set to sync to Exchange, it will only do it over the air. Syncing with the PC gives you notes, tasks, file transfer, internet favorites, etc...

13.    #13  
    I uninstalled/reinstalled activesync a couple of times, and my sync problems seem to have been fixed.

I have two more dumb questions:

1. On the palm OS Treo, the red phone button would also turn the screen on and off. On the 750, if the screen turns off, all I can do to get it back on is to hit one of the buttons that will bring me to the today screen. So I find I am always having to go back to the program/screen I was in when the screen turned off. What is the best way around this? There has to be something I'm missing.

2. I don't see a way in the email app to turn a follow-up flag on for an email. That is something I use a lot.

Thanks!

1. On the palm OS Treo, the red phone button would also turn the screen on and off. On the 750, if the screen turns off, all I can do to get it back on is to hit one of the buttons that will bring me to the today screen. So I find I am always having to go back to the program/screen I was in when the screen turned off. What is the best way around this? There has to be something I'm missing.
    Not dumb questions, I had trouble with some of this stuff moving from a 650. In order just to activate the keyguard/turn off the screen (similar to pushing the red end/power button) in any program just hold the option putton then press the red phone button. Make sure when you hold the option button while you are pushing the red phone button or it won't work. To turn everything back on, just pushing the red phone button, then the center button. I seem to remember settings for how the red phone button behaves, but I can't find them right now.

2. I don't see a way in the email app to turn a follow-up flag on for an email. That is something I use a lot.
    In either the inbox or message view, select Menu -> Follow Up -> then what you want to do to the follow up flag.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I uninstalled/reinstalled activesync a couple of times, and my sync problems seem to have been fixed.

Thanks!
    1. u could just keep pressing the 'ok' button and task manager comes up, then switch to the prog u were using b4. I personally use this task manager, wKtask it shows up the prog as minimized when u switch to today screen or any other prog + many other features.. also its freeware !! http://soft.photoracer.net/docs/wktask_en.html
  16. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you there. Syncing keeps your email, contacts, schedule and tasks safe, but that's all. Any programs or files would be lost after a hard reset.

Many programs have setups that are tweaked extensively to get working "just right" for what you want. TCPMP is an example. (If you've ever set it up for smooth playback of streaming media, you know what I'm talking about.) Registry tweaks and hacks are another example. For me to get my device exactly the way it is today by starting from scratch would easily be over an hour, and I'd probably still overlook something.

I heartily recommend doing a backup when you're happy with your config and keep it somewhere safe as a baseline for restoring. I also do backups prior to loading unfamiliar software, as you never know what issues may arise. Uninstalling doesn't always fix the issues that the new program may have caused.

Considering that a backup only takes a few minutes to create or restore, it's well worth it versus time spent reloading an customizing all your apps all over again.

I see threads in this forum all the time with people having problems. In a lot of cases, the simple fix for these issues is "Hard reset and load your last good backup"
    Couldn't agree more!
    Reinstalling all my apps and then tweaking all my settings took me over 4 hours last time I did it. Restore from backup took under 5 minutes, including the two resets required.

Sprite Backup provided on the 750 CD has a problem with a couple of WM6 files. The easiest fix is to spend $10 on the upgrade version which works flawlessly. Done it myself and it paid for itself already...

my 2 cents...

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by yud View Post
    Sprite Backup provided on the 750 CD has a problem with a couple of WM6 files. The easiest fix is to spend $10 on the upgrade version which works flawlessly. Done it myself and it paid for itself already...
    Just out of curiosity, did you start with a WM5 Treo 750 and upgrade to WM6? I got a 750 that was preloaded with WM6, and the Sprite Backup on the CD seems to work fine with it.
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

18. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by phrogpilot73 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you start with a WM5 Treo 750 and upgrade to WM6? I got a 750 that was preloaded with WM6, and the Sprite Backup on the CD seems to work fine with it.
    yes I did.
    Started with WM5, upgraded to WM6 and Sprite Backup was chucking a couple of errors (I think it was version 5). Saw the same errors on the SPB Backup forums. Upgraded to Sprite Backup 6.1 for $10 and all is fine ever since. The new version is so much better too.

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro