Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I m not an expert on push email but I did find this program and I am curious if anyone is using it. I do not have internet on my phone yet. I am still in the research mode deciding if I want it.

Here is a link to the software. Please give me your thoughts.

http://www.qorefunctions.com/

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    I have not tried this software myself but it seems to me one can't claim 'push' of a POP acct.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    I have not tried this software myself but it seems to me one can't claim 'push' of a POP acct.

It would work just fine - if you can get that account to send a text message (SMS) when e-mails are received, for that is what triggers it.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic View Post
    It would work just fine - if you can get that account to send a text message (SMS) when e-mails are received, for that is what triggers it.
    Seems like a long way around to claim push email.
    The benefit from PushEffect is this: battery life

Running any true push sytem, including Exchange/AS, causes your devices to maintain a lite connection to the server at all times.

With PushEffect, you only fetch email when there is 100% chance of an email being on the server, then your device can kill the data connection.

So this is good for people
    • Concerned about battery life
    • Have unlimited SMS on their plan

Plus, assuming you can forward your email to your SMS account, you can have "push" on any account possible. Of course it's not a true push solution, hence why it's called "push effect", lol.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I have tried it, and it is a very good program. You do need internet access on your phone however to use this program. It will send a sms trigger to tell your phone to check for email. The phone will then log onto the internet to access your email.

EDIT:

Well the only problem I had with it was a network issue with Sprint. Emails with attachments would not set off the trigger. I would only know of an email if another email was sent to set off the trigger. I contacted pusheffect's developers and they said it was a network problem. It probably is with Sprint's gateway or whatever because I had the same problem with flexmail and emails with attachments.
    Last edited by stn415; 02/12/2008 at 02:44 AM. Reason: clarification
    PushEffect has been working well for me - for almost a year now. :-)
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yeah, this seems like a nice app. I've used Exchange activesync before but now that all the Exchange hosting services have jacked their prices up, this is a nice alternative.

There was an app very similar to this (basically just an SMS interceptor) for Palm OS that I used to use on my Treo 600 but I can't remember the name of it. The great thing about it was not only could it trigger an email sync, but you could have it lock your Treo as well. If your Treo was lost or stolen, just send a text to it with a predefined word (like "lock") in the subject line and it would lock it.
    on WM platform, I use live.mail2web.com + direct push
    and its free

the only downside, you cannot put your email address as the reply-to address
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by esatyawan View Post
    the only downside, you cannot put your email address as the reply-to address
    Exactly, and IMO that's a gigantic downside.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Minsc, are you referring to TreoHelper? Brilliant app.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Yeah, this seems like a nice app. I've used Exchange activesync before but now that all the Exchange hosting services have jacked their prices up, this is a nice alternative.
    Not all are that bad. I use sherweb.com - they are $9/mo for an exchange 2007 account (was on wm6 so had html email, now not And 1and1 are only $7/mo. The nice thing about sherweb is I have one exchange account (mine for $9) and one pop account (for someone else who doesn't need exchange) for only $1/mo. I know that general email hosting gives a lot of pop accounts, but I've never seen them at a place also with exchange like this. Was a great alternative.

Mail2web does work, but if you want your own return address you have to pay. That is only $5/mo, but you still need your own hosting company to forward emails from (or mail forwarding at your registrar - your choice