Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I have a treo 700wx, desktop PC connected via USB and a laptop connected via Infared.

My question is about installing new programs. Can I install new programs using either computer? Will each compuer only show the programs that it installed on the treo?

Any do's or don't when syncing with two computers? Anyone have any horror stories?

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Bump. Anybody?

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    If you had a PalmOS device I would tell you that I would make one PC the lead PC and have all conduits set to synchronize with the Treo. . . and have the conduits on the slave PC set to hand held overwrites desktop. This would basically keep the PIM data on both PCs the same.

And I would tell you that the PalmOS sync software would backup all installed 3rd party apps to the backup folders created on each machine -- no matter from which PC the software app was originally installed from onto the Treo.

How this works for the WM Treo may or may not be the same, but I have no experience on the WM side. I lean towards not the same, but this may give you some ideas on the factors at play.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Jeez, Perry, you're wealth of information even when working with a "black box!" My thoughts (from the the Palm OS perspective) exactly. The only points I'll add are that it's probably safe to leave install & e-mail conduits set to their defaults -- Desktop overwrites handheld and Sync, respectively (again, fron the Palm OS perspective).
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    I keep the install programs in a backup folder on my Treo SD card, then if I need to reinstall to either PC, I have the program with me. If the program you are installing on your Treo also has a PC desktop version, then just install to both PC's; otherwise, you just need to install via one of the PC's.

As far as any other concerns, I have had the most issues with Outlook sync programs, where I occasionally have to delete a partnership on one PC, create a new Outlook data file, and resync to that PC. I may not need to do that, but I'm always concerned about duplicate entries. If you go the route of a new Outlook data file, be sure to redirect your email to it before deleting the old data file. This just saves having to recreate POP/SMTP info.

Good luck!