1.    #1  
    I have read through several posts on this forum and others trying to decide if I want to upgrade to WM6 or not. I know when I tired out a Cingular Tilt (HTC) with WM6 is was quiet laggy. They say you can not invert back to WM5...palm says....but I did find a WM5 rom download so I guess it maybe possible...can any confirm? If it is possible to invert back i will just try it and it I do not like it I will go back.

Here are some things I would hope to gain from WM6:

-No more Lagging with connecting/disconnecting a phone call
    -Better battery life....I have heard yes and no with WM6
    -Faster OS operation in general...WM5 speed is not that bad.
    -Does WM6 change calendar and contacts any?
    -If possible be able to use larger memory SDHC cards...people say it it possible with WM6

-Is there any know issues with WM6?

Please provide input...It will be up appreciated.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I upgrade to wm6 and here is my take on the specific issues you raised

battery life spectacularly better I used to have to replace battery after 10 hrs now can run 16 hrs on a full charge with nl usage

the slight lag on connect/disconnect still there but I don't find this annoying

as for speed. I think speed is slightly slower my guess is the os is fatter and the processor in the 750 is just being pushed beyond its limits...this to me is demonstrated by soft reset it seems to hang a long time on the windows logo before the today screen redraws.. Again I can live with this

these are some cosmetic changes to calendar--insignificant

i use just a 2 gig card sufficient for my needs so can't answer that questions

biggest benefit is the faster download speeds 3g and hspda is phenomenal
    I can't understand why people still don't have WM6 - it is there for you, it is free and it works. I have had it for months and it works great, better than WM5, as have thousands. What is the holdup?

It is not some secret conspiracy by the government to get you to upgrade to WM6. It is simply a much-needed software upgrade. Install it and get on with your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Teck View Post
    I have read through several posts on this forum and others trying to decide if I want to upgrade to WM6 or not. I know when I tired out a Cingular Tilt (HTC) with WM6 is was quiet laggy. They say you can not invert back to WM5...palm says....but I did find a WM5 rom download so I guess it maybe possible...can any confirm? If it is possible to invert back i will just try it and it I do not like it I will go back.

Here are some things I would hope to gain from WM6:

-No more Lagging with connecting/disconnecting a phone call
    -Better battery life....I have heard yes and no with WM6
    -Faster OS operation in general...WM5 speed is not that bad.
    -Does WM6 change calendar and contacts any?
    -If possible be able to use larger memory SDHC cards...people say it it possible with WM6

-Is there any know issues with WM6?

Please provide input...It will be up appreciated.
    Battery life is definitely better. However, do remember that WM6 supports 3G. If you're in a 3G area, you'll get broadband data speeds, but the radio is a heavier drain on the battery. From my experience the increased battery life balances out with the new radio. So WM6 battery life on 3G is about on par with WM5 battery life on GPRS. If you're not in a 3G area, then your battery should definitely last longer on straight GPRS under WM6.

Also, WM6 adds support for SDHC cards. Palm claims up to 4GB, although I've heard multiple people claim they're using 8GB SDHC cards with no problems.

Here's some of what's new to WM6 as quoted from the Palm website:

• Faster downloads with High-Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) Get faster access to large attachments, streaming video, and more.
    • Update for Loss of System Sounds - Included in the update.
    • Improved Calendar functionality - See the big picture at a glance. New topline bar in the agenda view shows when you're free or busy, and when you have scheduling conflicts. Drill down to view meeting attendees, contact information, acceptance status, and reply-to or forward meeting requests.
    • Additional email support - Send and receive HTML emails with tables, bullets, and colored text intact. The "smart filter" for contact search has been updated so you can search for emails stored on your company's Exchange Server. Even send an out-of-office message from your device.
    • Windows Vista compatibility - Easily sync your smartphone to your Windows Vista PC, via the Windows Mobile Device Centre (WMDC).
    • Better security and IT policies - Remotely wipe devices and SD cards clean in case of loss or theft. Plus, now IT can create and enforce tougher security policies, such as password protection to better manage the entire device fleet.
    • Run existing applications - Most Windows Mobile 5.0 applications will work after you update to Windows Mobile 6. The .NET Compact Framework will be installed in ROM to make it easier for developers to deploy custom apps.
    • Internet Connection Sharing - Utilize your smartphone capabilities by using your phone as a high-speed wireless modem for your laptop. It's easy to set up and even easier to connect. Just click and go!
    • Email hot keys - Work in the fast lane with single-key access to your most frequently used email functions. Press "R" to reply, "A" to reply all, or "M" to move to one of your folders.
    • Email Inbox search - Find that important document or email. Automatically search for attachments, senders, or keywords by simply typing a few letters while you're in your email inbox.
    • Access Sharepoint - Get what you need then get going. Access documents stored on your company's SharePoint servers via links in HTML emails.
    • Voice Command via Bluetooth wireless technology - Get more done while you stay hands-free6. Dial by voice, or hear your upcoming appointments with your Bluetooth headset. Voice Command available in English, French, and German only.
    • Active call access- Manage your calls more efficiently than ever. Mute calls or use the speakerphone with a single tap on your active-call screen.
    • USB cable charging- Travel tip: Now your smartphone will charge when it's connected to your laptop via the USB cable.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
  5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I am very glad that I upgraded mine. Over and above all that has been mentioned There is a minor advantage that was a pleasant surprise to me. When I hit SEND on an E-Mail, it connects and is sent immediately, with WM5, I had to consciously do "Send/Recieve" if I didn't want to wait for the scheduled connect time.
    Go for it. I think you'll be glad you did. I just did the upgrade last weekend with the unbrabded ROM and am very pleased.
    Too many reasons too list why you should.

If battery drain with HSDPA is an issue than limit to GPRS/EDGE. The other advantage of 3G is the frequency is higher so when your 750 rings or sends and receives data your land line doesn't pick up that annoying noise anymore.

This is an easy decision--do it.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Everything is working fine and better than WM5. My only problem is sometimes I cannot turn it off by pressing the Hang Up button. I tried in FIVE Treo 750v (all fresh upgrade) with no other software instialled and only setup the activesync with the Exchange Server. Sometimes the device turn off without any reason. When I try to turn it off, I need to press the button a few times. Sometimes, I need to wait for 5 to 10 seconds then it allows me to turn off.

Am I the only one having this problem? Do you guy think upgrade the Treo 750 Rom is better than 750v. Please advise.
    It's a no brainer.

Volvo-driving, Sushi-eating, Latte-sipping Liberals Against Stereotypes.