Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Am I right that to receive pushed email you need to leave the treo connected to the interent all the time? If so, wouldn't that use as much battery as pulling email every hour or so?

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    I find that leaving the phone on at all times, along with 150nmiute e-mail pulls and Outlook pushing e-mails as they are sent, as well as some other Internet usage, my battery lasts less than 24 hours.

I can get a full work day and then some, if I do not use it too much for web browsing, etc. during the day.

I carry a spare battery, just in case.

Man, I long for the minimal battery usage of the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Since I really don't need up to the minute emails would it work to connect when needed and check emails say about every hour? Does being connected to the internet BUT not surfing or doing anything use more battery?

I am referring NOT to wifi but an unlimited plan through me cell phone company (alltel).

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus661 View Post
    Since I really don't need up to the minute emails would it work to connect when needed and check emails say about every hour? Does being connected to the internet BUT not surfing or doing anything use more battery?

I am referring NOT to wifi but an unlimited plan through me cell phone company (alltel).
    The internet connection uses essentially no power when not being used. However, you need to be a bit careful about what programs you install, as some programs may use the internet without you being fully aware of what they are dong. For example, many weather programs use your internet connection to make updates at some interval - though that may be as infrequently as once an hour or less.

For me, I have several programs that do infrequent internet updates plus I use "push" e-mail for work. I do not get too concerned over battery life unless it does not last for one entire work day - at that point I start searching around for the cause of the battery drain.

Unfortunately, since this is a Windows phone, power drain tends to be high - especially with third-party programs running.

Here's a couple of power management tips:

1. Load up a program (keylights) to turn off the keyboard lights.
    2. Do not turn up the screen backlight all the way when on battery power (by default it will already be this way)
    3. Be very careful to shut down programs when they are not in use - by default, they "minimize" rather than actually shut down.
    4. Be wary of programs that use any sort of internet connection - be sure you know when your internet connection is actually in use.
    5. Be wary of any program that runs in the background all the time.

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think these are all the heavy-hitters for power management.