1.    #1  
    I just ordered a Samsung SCH-i760, which will be my 1st SmartPhone, and I was wondering if I need firewall/antivirus for it. What kind of built-in security does Windows Mobile have and what, if any, software should I protect it with? Also, does anybody have direct experience with products like Norton SmartPhone and how noticeable of an effect they have on system performance?

The phone won't get here until later in the week by fedex, so I can't say for sure what all I'll be doing with it, but I would imagine that I'll be browsing, reading email, installing apps from sites like WMExperts, etc. using both EvDO and WiFi. I don't plan on linking it to a corporate Exchange Server.
  2.    #2  
    since I can't find any reviews for the norton one, I'm going to assume that means nobody has tried it. I will be the sacrificial guinea pig and go ahead and buy it. if someone replies to this and says they know for sure another one is better, then I'll just consider it $30 wagered and lost.
    IMO, you may have just lost that $30. You can run it, but it may slow down your phone a bit. On the other hand, you shouldn't have any other problems with it.

Basically I don't think the virus threat for Windows Mobile is great enough yet to warrant using antivirus software yet.
  4.    #4  
    What about hackers, snoopware, etc? Are these things significant threats yet? Is the firewall (I assume there is one) in Windows Mobile good enough?

Also, how much do you think it'll slow the phone down? Enough to make it frustrating to use?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidpet View Post
    What about hackers, snoopware, etc? Are these things significant threats yet? Is the firewall (I assume there is one) in Windows Mobile good enough?

Also, how much do you think it'll slow the phone down? Enough to make it frustrating to use?

thanks
    I think that right now WM is still protected primarily by "security through obscurity," though MS is making a very big security push right now to help its appeal for enterprise. I've been following the WM news very closely for a year now and I haven't caught wind of any significant exploit.

As for slowing it down, I guess I'd have to ask you that one.. I've never actually run norton so I can't say.

...If you haven't installed it yet, let me recommend you do a full backup first with something like sprite backup -- I don't know, but I bet it's a good guess that something as intensive as Norton might not uninstall cleanly.