Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I gave in to the temptation and bought an iPhone. It has some nice 'gee whiz' stuff and the graphics are much better than the Treo.

After fighting just trying to get email set up, then finding you cannot set up each email account to have individual settings, Outlook notes dont sync, ringtones are a pain to get on the phone then have to be added after each sync, inability to assign sound files to incoming messages...etc I finally got to the point where I had enough. I tried to deal with it for a week....

Today I couldnt stand it and brought the sucker back and Im back to the Treo 750.

If Steve Jobs didnt make it where the phone could not be used the way the owner wants it to, I would hope he didnt expect it to draw many away from Windows Mobile...... even though the size of the unit and the other potential it has are nice to have.
    Last edited by billinaz; 01/31/2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Atta boy. Stay with us sane crazies.
    I have thought about an iPhone a few times but everytime I try to just type my name on the thing I hit the wrong letters. A REAL QWERTY keyboard vs a virtual one is a must. No iPhone for me.
    I've tried out the iPhone quite a few times and still don't see anything compelling except Safari. I can't do anything on it that I couldn't do on a WM device, and in many cases, the WM way is more efficient.

I am in the very small minority, but I think the touch interface is a step back from one-handed usability, and I don't think it is nearly as efficient as a KB interface. I could never use a touch device on the subway or on the run.

I can run 50 apps in two button presses with Ctrl Key Pro on WM or Hi-Launcher on POS. No touch interface can replace that.
    That's why I quickly dismissed the Sprint Touch after a few minutes of playing with it.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    By and large this group of users is not the iphone target. Clearly, there are exceptions to every rule but 750 users lean toward the corporate user and iphone users want something that looks cool and has a slick interface. If you wanted to play music and surf the web first and foremost the iphone would be your device.

But I pound out a ton of emails, prefer the HSDPA speed, the ability to swap batteries and the ability to get emails while talking on the phone.

I think Apple hit their mark with the iphone--just not my "mark".
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I made an iPhone user cry the other night. Guy is the owner of an establishment I frequent in the evenings from time to time for liquid refreshment. He got an iPhone a couple of months ago, and has been busy talking about how great it is ever since.

So I was in the bar, and I wanted to watch a basketball game, but the crowd was watching American Idol. I popped out my 750 and fired up slingplayer, and I was sitting there watching the game. So he comes by and asks if it was something I recorded. I replied - nope. Live TV feed.

He's going off asking me how he could do that with his iPhone, and I told him that I didn't think there was anything similar available yet for iPhones and explained what I was doing. Meanwhile I missed a call, so I pulled up my voicemail (simulscribe) and my list of transcribed voice mails came up. I tapped and read my voice mail message while he was standing there, and he was completely dumbfounded by that technology. He couldn't believe that at all, and wanted my number so he could go to the other side of the bar and call me and leave a message to see if it translated what he said.

It did. Then he asked what my phone cost.

And he completely lost it when he realized how big the difference was between what I paid and what he paid.
    My buddy just got an iPhone as well. He always used to call my Treo a "nerdphone", so I made sure to mention that he now had his own "nerdphone." As he's showing it to me, and essentially saying "let's see yours do X." And I do. He bought into he Apple hype that it's the first to do everything, but he walked away saying "wow, I never realized what you could do with your phone."
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    This is good to read, as i have been on the fence about jumping to the iphone bandwagon.

My main issue is with syncing with my macbook. I use missing sync, but it doesnt synch properly. For instance, it will double my contacts, not all of them, but some of them. Synching the calendar is also a hit and miss. Sometimes it will synch it, sometimes it will just push whatevers on my macbook to the treo. Its a hit and miss situation that has been driving me batty for the past few months now.

But i love the treo 750 except for the syncing issues.

Anyone else using a mac that used the iphone but stayed with the treo 750?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I pulled the iPhone stunt back in September and I used it till very recently. The phone is a great device with some neat features, namely Safari. In all honesty though I've come back to my Treo 750 and I really haven't thought about looking back. Its such a better device I can't even begin. I missed reading ebooks, I missed the exchange server that I used, most of all for someone that texts as much as I do, 5000 a month, I missed a real keyboard! I am glad to be back to the 750!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoconvert View Post
    I made an iPhone user cry the other night. Guy is the owner of an establishment I frequent in the evenings from time to time for liquid refreshment. He got an iPhone a couple of months ago, and has been busy talking about how great it is ever since.

So I was in the bar, and I wanted to watch a basketball game, but the crowd was watching American Idol. I popped out my 750 and fired up slingplayer, and I was sitting there watching the game. So he comes by and asks if it was something I recorded. I replied - nope. Live TV feed.

He's going off asking me how he could do that with his iPhone, and I told him that I didn't think there was anything similar available yet for iPhones and explained what I was doing. Meanwhile I missed a call, so I pulled up my voicemail (simulscribe) and my list of transcribed voice mails came up. I tapped and read my voice mail message while he was standing there, and he was completely dumbfounded by that technology. He couldn't believe that at all, and wanted my number so he could go to the other side of the bar and call me and leave a message to see if it translated what he said.

It did. Then he asked what my phone cost.

And he completely lost it when he realized how big the difference was between what I paid and what he paid.
    Wait what program can describe voice mails. I have a treo 700wx Palm and it would be great if I could do that?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    The program is Simulscribe. Go to www.simulscribe.com. You have to pay for the service, though.
    Does the iPhone have an application like www.tryda.com that loads new found residential contacts directly into your address book?
    FastFrank
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anybody mention the iphone's blazing fast EDGE speed .

As for the Slingplayer, it makes EVERYONE iphone user or not freak out. I was overseas in the summer and I was in a park with a friend watching live Baseball in the US on US TV. Heck, I am still amazed by it.

The iphone is just for people to say "I have an iphone". You can't add a memory card either. Touch screen is an annoying gimmick. If it was so good, none of us would use a mouse, we would all tocuh our computer screens.

My wife's nokia n95 eats the iphone for dinner too.

One thing though that is bad about the treo (although I think that it is WM's fault) is that it is an awful phone. Great PDA, but extremely annoying for phone calls.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Why do you find the Treo annoying for phone calls? I like it.
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    Try any Nokia, and you will see what I mean. It is annoying for dialing previous numbers both missed and dialed. It is annoying trying to turn on the speakerphone. It doesn't always turn on. There isn't a seperate speaker and ringer volume. It cuts calls off like crazy (that could be because I am not using it with its native cingular). The phone book or contacts sucks, you can't easily switch between phone contacts and sim contacts. I have duplicates of everything because it copied them all from one to the other. It forces me to have my contacts in outlook. When I check voicemail, or call a number where I have to press 1 for x, 2 for y, etc, the tone doesn't always go thru, it gets stuck like a computer.
    Again, I am pretty sure that this is WM's fault and not Palm.
    Try any nokia and you will see how quick and easy it is for PHONE functions.
    Sounds like a lot of your phone issues spring from trying to use your treo like a plain vanilla cell phone instead of how it's meant to be used.

I fought with outlook at first too. But if you make the plunge into using Outlook to manage your contacts, life will be SO much easier. For one thing, all your contacts are backed up on your computer, and you can store a lot more info than your standard cell phone contact list. I've also found it's a lot easier to manage from within Outlook.

Also, once you get away from the SIM, you have custom ringtones, pictures, etc... (Personally, I don't keep anything on my sim anymore.)
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    My biggest issue with the 750 as a phone is that when I am not using my headset, I tend to hold the phone close to my face and bump the touchscreen while talking, so I end up with applications open when I finish the call. Annoying.

Since the speakerphone button is on the touchscreen, if I disable the screen during calls, it's a pain in the posterior to switch between speakerphone and normal mode.

The Treo could use a hardware button to make this switch. Then I could disable the touchscreen during calls and be very happy.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    Treoconvert,

I haven't used this but try checking the "Disable touchscreen while on call in Today Screen" in /Settings/Keyguard. Maybe that will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoconvert View Post
    Since the speakerphone button is on the touchscreen, if I disable the screen during calls, it's a pain in the posterior to switch between speakerphone and normal mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    I haven't used this but try checking the "Disable touchscreen while on call in Today Screen" in /Settings/Keyguard. Maybe that will help.
    If you disable the touchscreen, the notification that it's disabled covers the speakerphone/mute buttons. However, if you select Menu - the top two options are speakerphone and mute.
    "Whenever I feel like exercise I lie down until the feeling passes."
    -Robert Maynard Hutchins

Palm Pilot 1000 -> Philips Nino -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Alltel Kyocera 7135 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> AT&T Blackjack II -> AT&T Treo 750 & Epix
    Quote Originally Posted by sansnil View Post
    Treoconvert,

Read my original post better. In particular the paragraph that begins with "If I disable the touchscreen...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast