Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

I had a chance to get a demo of the upcoming SkyFire browser (over Skype) last week and I gotta tell you - it's hot. Here's the skinny - it's currently in private beta (sign up here) with a public beta planned for later this quarter. It works on Windows Mobile Pro and Standard (and Symbian, hush), and it's really, really awesome. As in, “my envy for the iPhone's browser may soon be coming to an end” kind of awesome.

Here's how it works - it's a server-side solution (more on that inside) based on Gecko (same bits behind Firefox's rendering). Basically everything gets rendered on the server and then sent out to your phone. That solves some of the processor / speed issues, but it also adds more benefits, like full AJAX, **Flash**, Javascript, you name it. I watched the browser instantly load an embedded YouTube video (from a random page on our site) and start playing with nary a jag and nary a lag -- this over a UMTS connection, mind you.

The SkyFire teams told me “Our goal is that if Firefox can render it, then your Windows Mobile phone will render it the exact same way.”

There more, including a screenshot gallery, after the break!

For the first time ever, smartphoneusers can experience the “real Web” to access and interact with any Website built with any Web technology, including dynamic Flash, advanced Ajax,Java and more - at the same speeds they are accustomed to on their PC -

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/sk...ts_off_th.html
    Almost forgot - it also does Quicktime, Windows Media, and I believe Silverlight as well. If Firefox can do it on your desktop, SkyFire can pretty much do it on your handheld.
    I was about to post in the "general" treo thread... did a search and see it is buried here.

Nice app, can't wait to how it performs in "real life." I'd more than likely wait before announcing it will beat the pants off anything... I've seen software like this come and go... you know the type... It is the best thing since sliced bread... EXCEPT.... bla, bla, bla...

But it does looking promising.

edit: wow, that was a bit confusing... thought I was posting on treocentral... so this thread is not on treocentral, but search will search both treocentral and this site for posts.

hmm... ok.... and yea, I knew the sites were consolidated for user names...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    From a technological perspective: very impressive. The fact that is can do full Flash embedded is the main reason why it can beat out the iPhone--throw in those extra formats (Quicktime, WMedia, etc.) and you have yourself a very robust platform.

It will be interesting to see how it performs in real life, but it looks very promising.

Boy, what a difference in programming from just 16 months ago on the Windows Mobile--I'm noticing some very talented folks jumping on the platform and making some very unique and feature rich apps.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    16 months ago I tried out the killer browser app known as "NetFront" and left utterly disappointed. For now I use Opera Mini and am generally very happy with it, but I'm always open to new alts so long as the price is right.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    I was about to post in the "general" treo thread... did a search and see it is buried here.
    Buried?! It belongs in the WM section!
    edit: wow, that was a bit confusing... thought I was posting on treocentral... so this thread is not on treocentral, but search will search both treocentral and this site for posts.
    The thread *is* on TreoCentral, it's also on our other forums that share the WM stuff (namely wmexperts). You can also find everything all together at

http://forum.smartphoneexperts.com/
    Am I wrong in thinking this is SlingBox for the web? What data bitrate does it use to transmit those web pages?

I wish some-one would sell this as a server + client package (like slingbox) for maybe $50, so privacy concerns would not be an issue.

Surur
    Skyfire can't get here fast enough...
    I want to give it a whirl. I just signed up saying I was interested in their beta testing.
  10. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Me too. Signed up yesterday, received a confirmation that I would be notified when the beta is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Skyfire can't get here fast enough...
    Oddly enough it seems their site is down... Which is odd because I signed up for the beta a day or two ago and it was fine...
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    What is Skyfire?
    Merged.

I'm supposed to be getting ahead of the list on the private beta, so far no love. Hopefully will come soon!

http://skyfire.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    Oddly enough it seems their site is down... Which is odd because I signed up for the beta a day or two ago and it was fine...
    seems up now, but I guess their site going down is a bad sign, considering that it's a server-dependent solution!
    The features seem great but I think the server side driven model is not going to work out. Microsoft’s DeepFish operates or should I say operated this way. The project now appears to be abandoned and the next version or pocket IE will not operate this way. Prove me wrong Skyfire, but I'll wait for this to be both fully released (and the pricing model solidified) before I get excited again.
    I thought this was how it would end up (I'd tested that other MSFT browser - what was it? Deepfish...) with pretty much the same results.

I received my beta link earlier this evening via SMS and installed it.

Technically it's very nice - I do like how they've optimized the 5-way working with the pointer/cursor - kind of 'jumps' to the various links & stuff. That's neat.

But overall my thoughts on Skyfire are just as they were with the Deepfish thing - looking at fullsize web pages shrunk down to a small device screen just doesn't cut it for me. Yes you can zoom in and pan around, but that still doesn't let you see the page as a whole.

Maybe it's just that I'm used to using mobile-specific pages (and I've beem doing that for about 6 yrs!) so I'm somewhat set in my ways, but I just like mobile sites better.

You'll say - yes but what about video? one word - vTap. Awesome.

I'm still messing around with Skyfire but - for a heavy mobile optimizer (and a somewhat advanced user) I just don't think it's for me. I'm pretty sure I'm not their audience though - they're going after the masses (rightly so) so wouldn't think about seeking out (and bookmarking no less!) all the various mobile sites that are out there.

Skyfire might last a bit longer on my 700wx but I don't think it's long for the game....for me anyway. Just me.
  17. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Video
    How many others have received there download info via SMS?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I've been using it for about an hour and I think it is the best mobile browser I've ever used. I like the fact that the exact web page shows up. If you go to ESPN the video and audio starts playing showing the latest highlights. I can access live FOREX charts without limitations of what I can see.

The speed for an early beta is acceptable. CNN which has loads of graphics loaded in a couple of seconds (my Verizon 6700 only had one bar of signal at the time). Not bad.
    I took it off my device. Cool, but not as usable, to me, as mobile websites (with the caveat being that I'm using a device with a relatively small screen - the 700wx - and the full web page views are just way too small for me). And I'm not a fan of zoom and pan.

It's off. Outta there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast