1.    #1  
    Is this phone really the only one that exists or is on the radar with a 320x320 (or better) touch screen and a keyboard on the face? This general form factor seems so common now (BlackBerrys, Moto Q series, Blackjack series, etc.) that it seems weird that at least ONE of them didn't manage to make the screen a touch screen. Am I missing something? Why is Palm the only one making those? Seems they could be completely buried if anyone else decided to offer this while they're so beaten down. I'm surprised nobody has done this just to put the final nails in the coffin, to use a common Palm-demise phrase.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    It does not exist it is just a rumor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade View Post
    Is this phone really the only one that exists or is on the radar with a 320x320 (or better) touch screen and a keyboard on the face? This general form factor seems so common now (BlackBerrys, Moto Q series, Blackjack series, etc.) that it seems weird that at least ONE of them didn't manage to make the screen a touch screen. Am I missing something? Why is Palm the only one making those? Seems they could be completely buried if anyone else decided to offer this while they're so beaten down. I'm surprised nobody has done this just to put the final nails in the coffin, to use a common Palm-demise phrase.
    Samsung i780. Does not have US bands though, and a funky control pad, but it will be out on Orange in UK soon.

http://www.business.orange.co.uk/ser...=1044136901399

But in US, only the 800w.

Surur
    Well, try as they might, Samsung just can't make decent WM Pro devices for the life of them (see the i760 and Surur's example above with the crazy control pad), and the only other real competitor in the Touchscreen environment is HTC.

Rumors suggest HTC and Palm have an agreement of some kind to not compete in this form factor. HTC typically makes these devices for Palm and will continue doing so in the future, so it's possible that they've come to the conclusion that they can make more money manufacturing for Palm and selling the form factor under the well recognized "Treo" brand.
    I-Mate was on a great path and now it looks like those new devices will never come to light.

I have had my eyes on the HP 900 series.

Delays, delays

The irony is with the other WM6 Pro Qwertybars delaying, Palm may actually get theirs out first.

Well the Treo 750 is still a great device, just old.

Regards
    graylion
    Is this phone really the only one that exists or is on the radar with a 320x320 (or better) touch screen
    I wonder if there will be any issues using my hundreds of dollars worth of WM5 software with this screen. Maybe this is a dumb question....

I have some older software that looks funky on my 240X240 Treo, but that is probably because it is square right?
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisholland View Post
    I wonder if there will be any issues using my hundreds of dollars worth of WM5 software with this screen. Maybe this is a dumb question....

I have some older software that looks funky on my 240X240 Treo, but that is probably because it is square right?
    The report is that most software except games work OK.

Surur
    Shame that the i780 is using the older blackjack style keyboard instead of the nicer and better blackjackII keyboard. As for the SCH-i760, I really see nothing wrong with the phone or the form factor. I have been using it for a little over a week, and I like it a lot compared to the 700w.

The 800w will be nice no doubt, that is if the rumors are true. Palm needs to deliver. The form fact definitely will be a bonus. Not sure what the advantage of a recessed touch screen would be.
    I always liked the idea of a slightly recessed touch screen because in the event the phone got dropped flat on its face onto the floor/pavement, the screen wouldn't necessarily make complete/direct contact with the ground and thus wouldn't take the majority of the force of the fall. Instead, the surrounding plastic would make first contact and presumably take the majority of the impact, presumably sparing the screen at least some of the trauma from the fall. Granted, I'm no engineer but I always thought that was one of the reasons behind the recessed screen.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 01/29/2008 at 03:56 AM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    My Treo 500v has a flush convex screen, but I've managed not to scratch it so far!
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the use of the gps feature on the 800 will come with a fee from sprint.

They squeeze money out of the smallest possible phone features to turn higher profits.

A prime example was their decision to charges for text messages on treos running power vision. Unlimited text messaging was included in their earlier pcs vision plans.

I used to enjoy receiving text messages on news alerts each day on my treo 650. I refuse to pay for a very basic feature that should come included with the most basic service plan. Anyway, I digress.

Iif they do charge for gps service, I think it would be a turnoff for a good number of people considering the upgrade.

In my opinion, particularly since sprint has lost 623,000 subscribers, it would be better to drop that charge in order to enjoy a greater number of new subscribers, and improve their diminished customer base.
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the use of the gps feature on the 800 will come with a fee from sprint...
    Normally I would say this was plausible, but looking at the Moto Q q9c on Sprint which has the GPS unlocked (you can use Google Maps, Live Search, etc.) and the leaked Mogul ROM which enables GPS on that device is also 'open'.

All signs point to open GPS on Sprint. Catch is, you won't have access to the assistance servers for aGPS which is makes GPS even better (though this too can be hacked). Read here for more info.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter