1.    #1  
    Hi guys, I want to congratulate you on the wonderfully informative forum you guys have developed. I have the 700wx for about 5 months now, and I can say that I have learned quite a bit both from this forum and from Google almighty... Most of my knowledge comes from trial and error. I am a graphic designer, and my hobby is modding... ( everything from phones and gaming consoles to cars and bikes.. )

I have put together a modest list of tips for the beginners out there. You can consider it a word of advice or just an opinion. I am not claiming that I know more than anyone in this forum. I’m just giving what I can in terms of advice.

Registry Tricks:

Well, I tried many, most don’t even work since they are for HTC’s mostly, and we have Treos modified by Palm. I tried different values for the Cache settings and ended up going back to the defaults, since they seam to work best. I’m guessing Palm did a good job modding the Treo themselves.
    If you aren’t sure what you are doing, and what you want, please skip the Reg edits. You might end up loosing all the info you have on your PPC. ( Some reg tricks can be undone with a hard reset only..)

Good software to have in your Treo:

1. Get the HTC SDHC driver. You will need it if u plan on buying a 4GB (or higher?) Card.
    2. Palm Messaging. If u really don’t have this yet I suggest you get it… now.
    3. dmig Dictionary Editor. You might end up writing stuff with spelling mistakes, and the onboard word completion WILL remember it and it WILL suggest it later on. This is in order to delete those words u don’t need from the dictionary.
    4. Microsoft .NET compact 2.0 It is essential for many graphic intensive Apps such as VSPainter
    5. nakka tdLaunch. This is a free but a bit hard to setup app that will let u have shortcuts on your today screen. See attached pic.
    6. A Registry Editor (I use PHM)
    7. A File Explorer (I use GSFinder, works great)
    8. Optional.. I would like to add VSPainter to the list, since it really is phenomenal. It will cost u about $20 so make sure u try it first.
    9. Softick Card Export (use your Treo as a USB mass storage device)
    10. TCPMP.. The best player for the Treo. Plays absolutely everything and its free. (make sure to get the FLV plugin, to be able to watch flash vids. Youtube..etc.)

One more thing.. do not try software before you have read a review, and have the uninstall instructions.. You will get into trouble, having to fix registry entries and delete files manually…

Excuse me for my poor English, it is my 4th language. I hope this post has been helpful to someone. If u have any suggestions or questions or criticism I’ll be glad to hear you out.

PS. Sorry for poor image quality, I couldnt be bothered to instal a screen capture software..

Nice post. Good list of software. Let me add a few things in addition to yours.

1. Memaid-Cleans out cache, temporary internet files, dead registry, soft reset, hard reset and more, etc. Must have to save memory.

2. SPB Backup-Save the contents (contacts, emails, applicationsm everything, etc.) to the storage drive. Restore your entire device in one click. Must have if you lose anything.

3. SPB Mobile Shell-Today Plug with Tabs (finger size) which includes Weather Tab, Speed Dial Tab, adds 5 more picture speed dials, Time Tab, Or create a custom tab of your choice. Also changes the way you browse menus (finger sized tabs). Also includes Soft Reset and more tools. Too much stuff to mention.

I have more but those are great apps.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, VibrantRedGT
    I also forgot to mention something very important. If you happen to have the Palm Messaging App, make sure u have "upgraded" to the new version. It IS much faster. Search the forum, there are great guides on how to install the latest one by itself or upgrade from the first version.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjvah View Post
    Thanks, VibrantRedGT
    I also forgot to mention something very important. If you happen to have the Palm Messaging App, make sure u have "upgraded" to the new version. It IS much faster. Search the forum, there are great guides on how to install the latest one by itself or upgrade from the first version.
    how do u kno which version of the the palm messaging u have on ur device? and how can u discern between the new and old versions?

edit: nevermind, i found out. and turns out i have the latest version
    Last edited by blackmagik84; 01/25/2008 at 10:04 PM.