Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While I was glossing over the 800w rumored specs for the 10th time, I realized something bizarre: my 700wx is perfect, and this is the first time I'm going to buy a new Treo just for new features, and not to "fix" deficiencies in my current Treo.

Treo 300-600 - OS5, SD
    650 - added BT, hi-res screen
    700p - proper amount of RAM, EVDO Rev A

The 800w will have a GPS chip and 320x320 screen, but IMO there is not a single feature on the 800w that I can point to and say "Palm owed us that in the last generation and didn't deliver".

Is this the first upgrade to a perfect Treo? Palm did a great job with the 700wx.

Note: I know, the wx is itself an upgrade to the grossly deficient 700w, but IMO the wx is perfect.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Surely wifi fits the bill. Its way overdue in Palm devices.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Surely wifi fits the bill. Its way overdue in Palm devices.

Surur
    Possibly. But since Sprint has had 3g now for 2.5 years, Wifi just isn't as compelling any more.

It's a nice feature, but not a core requirement. EvDO RevA is more significant, imo.

I just think of the times I'm using my WM device, namely the internet stuff, and 9 times out of 10 I'm somewhere where Wifi just isn't possible (train, car, store, etc.). If I have a Wifi signal available, I usually have a computer nearby which I would prefer to use. Don't get wrong, I wont' turn down a Wifi device, but it's just not as important to WM as a 3g connection (assuming you have a signal).

Skfny: Not a huge surprise but yeah, I pretty much agree wit you, although the 700wx is feeling long in the tooth it is still my preferred WM device.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Possibly. But since Sprint has had 3g now for 2.5 years, Wifi just isn't as compelling any more..
    My sentiments exactly.

Also, I'd have to wait to see what wifi does to battery life. You know the story, we (as a group) want something, then complain like all heck when it is introduced but kills battery life. Well, I guess that wifi will give us something to "talk" (complain) about. But then, it could fall into the camp of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." lol

skfny, next week I'll had my 700wx for a year. I love the device. I'd like to see what they have done with 800wx... I'll wait a bit to see what issues the Guinea pigs -- I mean early adopters -- experience, and then decide.

I'm figuring there will not be a single reason for me to upgrade, but maybe the entire package will look good... but I'll more than likely upgrade anyway... heck, I'm tired of looking at my 700. But it is hard to step into an unknown universe, away from a device that works so well.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Possibly. But since Sprint has had 3g now for 2.5 years, Wifi just isn't as compelling any more.

It's a nice feature, but not a core requirement. EvDO RevA is more significant, imo.

I just think of the times I'm using my WM device, namely the internet stuff, and 9 times out of 10 I'm somewhere where Wifi just isn't possible (train, car, store, etc.). If I have a Wifi signal available, I usually have a computer nearby which I would prefer to use. Don't get wrong, I wont' turn down a Wifi device, but it's just not as important to WM as a 3g connection (assuming you have a signal).

Skfny: Not a huge surprise but yeah, I pretty much agree wit you, although the 700wx is feeling long in the tooth it is still my preferred WM device.
    I find wifi quite useful on my Kaiser for 2 reasons:

1) When I am doing the dishes I stream the TV from the other room to my phone, and if I do it over wifi I dont contribute to my carrier's fair use cap. My plan allows streaming, but most dont these days, and video is pretty intensive. I tether 6 hours per day, so I dont want to push them further if I dont have to.

2) Because bandwidth is higher with wifi, and latency shorter, you get a better slingbox stream over wifi than HSDPA.

I only use wifi at home, but I find it quite useful at home in any case. I expect people on campuses would feel the same advantages, but on a larger scale. In fact I have seen a few people pop up here on the forums asking if the Treo had wifi, so they could buy it without a data plan and use it on campus, where wifi is ubiquitous.

Anyway, not saying wifi is essential, but its certainly the most glaring missing feature from Palm's phone lineup.

Surur
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    adding to that, most college students have access to wifi all over their campus and the ability to utilize wifi cuts down on monthly costs significantly
    I can't wait for this phone because of the Rev A and the GPS. I had wifi on the Mogul and could never tell the difference in speed and it was really hard to remember to turn it on when I was in a hotspot. I guess it's great when you travel to a town that doesn't have EVDO and you get to a hotspot.

I only had WM for a few weeks and really loved it. I didn't think I would, but I do. I just hope I'm not going to have to pay a fortune for the phone since I won't be elegible for an upgrade for over a year.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    I find wifi more useful in my phone the more i use it seeing as I don't like the data plan. A Treo with a wifi would have been so nice in my book, but is a little to late. I have moved on and I am pretty content with my purchase. Missing one or two small tweaks of the 700w, but I can get use to.
    For me the upgrade from EvDo Rev. 0 to Rev. A and the upgrade to BT 2.0 (hopefully 2.1) are the biggest improvements. The improvement in upload and download speed isn't even the biggest deal to me. It's the improvement in latency. We've upgraded 200 laptops at work from Rev. 0 to Rev. A and the improvement has been noticable. Combine this with the faster bandwidth of tethering via BT 2.0 or 2.1 and I will be very content.

As for GPS. I am glad they are putting it in and will be more glad if it is unlocked. But I will also say that having purchased several different GPS' for various people (including myself) I see the very significant benefit in a standalone device. The larger screen, faster response time, typically better functionality and louder speakerphone make it worh a separate purchase.

The WiFi remains a novelty for me. I have very little interest in it, though I like that it will be included, regardless of the likeliness of use.

Finally, the improvement in available memory should be well received. I've yet to see anyone say they have too much.

Oh yeah, please tell me that BT works the way it should. BT on the Treo 700P still stinks. No BT voice dialing and dodgy pairings. It remains a mess.
    I can not wait for the Treo 800/850. The Treo 750 has been the only Smart Phone/PPC device to hold my interest for over a year.

I really want the GSM Treo 850.

- Improved memory (The Best)
    - Improved Bluetooth (Overdue & needed)
    - GPS (not crippled would be great)
    - WIFI & Switch (great)
    - Improved Screen
    - Nice to play with WM6.1 when its ready.

I have no problem without a earpiece jack, bluetooth is the way to go.

There is no other device that I would consider switching to at this moments.

My eyes are on the Treo 800/850 first the HP 900 next.

I fear the I-Mate is now out of the race.

This is Palms chance to bring their fantastic form factor upto date with the now hardware. To pull ahead they need to make sure that the integration of hardware and software is top notch. The other factor to set them ahead would be to make sure that the DAMN bugs are out (WM Wakeup, Audio issues, ect.)

Hoping to stay Palm loyal but it is their choice...

Regards
    graylion
    I may not upgrade. My 700wx though make look fossil like, its just a solid performer under the hood. I don't have any rebate status available.

Wifi doesn't do anything for me. Didn't use it when I had the Mogul. EVDO at my house is faster than wifi. I see why they added it though.

The additional memory is great. I have over 35mb remaining on the 700wx anyway which means I would have over 155mb left on the 800.

I cannot pay $600 to upgrade from my current phone which gives me zero problems and does everything I ask it to.

I'm sure it will be a great device. I hope to have one someday but not when its released.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Wasn't / isn't the 800W supposed to have a flush screen or are they holding that back for the 800WX?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
    Wasn't / isn't the 800W supposed to have a flush screen or are they holding that back for the 800WX?
    The GSM one is supposed to have a flush screen.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post

I cannot pay $600 to upgrade from my current phone which gives me zero problems and does everything I ask it to.
    If you have more than a year on your current contract, I'm wondering if you can "extend" for a year and receive a rebate for a new phone. Then you sell your current phone for "x" amount... you might be paying less than $200, which is a good deal either way.

A new 700wx is $200 at sprint... if you can get sprint to lower it to $400 for a one-year extension, and then sell your treo for at least $200. You are set.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The GSM one is supposed to have a flush screen.

Surur
    I hope you're wrong about that.
  16.    #16  
    The current thought is that the CDMA version does NOT have a flush screen because the leaked device in Gates' presentation featured a recessed screen.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The loss of the stubby antenna is a major advantage of the 800 for me. Even with a treo-antenna.com short version, it's still annoying and looks old.

320x320 will be great for photo viewing too, and a 2MB camera is pretty standard these days, making the 1.3 on the existing treos again outdated.

I'll certainly be going for the 800 when it arrives at Verizon - hopefully soon, as my NE2 is up this April!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The current thought is that the CDMA version does NOT have a flush screen because the leaked device in Gates' presentation featured a recessed screen.
    Yup, that's the case.

But...I'm really curious about these "delays" on release. There are no reports of production or certification problems, which leads me to believe Palm under Rubenstein's influence, is re-thinking aspects of the device (features, design) hence the time-frame shift. My bet is the "old" Palm (pre-Elevation) had the 800w ready to go--but it was the same old "rehash" of the 700wx design with some minor changes. Once Elevation went through, I bet the 800w went through some major revisions.

It would make sense to make the CDMA 800 as similar as possible to the GSM "Drucker" device for production reasons (keep 90% of the device production the same) which will drastically save on cost as opposed to having two quite different devices--and lets be honest, Palm is all about efficiency these days. (Of course this assumes the 800w and Drucker are technically "sister" devices, just differing on radio).

So I'm wondering if these delays have something to do with those last minute changes (like what happened to the Centro, according the WSJ piece). Time will tell I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    ...and a 2MB camera is pretty standard these days, making the 1.3 on the existing treos again outdated.
    Yeah, 2mp seems to be some magical limit on CDMA devices these days. Look at the upcoming Sprint Samsung M800 (variant of the F490) which used to have a 5mp camera and now...dun dun...2mp. I'm assuming it's to keep the cost of the device below a certain threshold and since 2mp parts are probably the cheapest right now (being widely produced) they are easiest to implement.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/28/2008 at 03:07 PM.

I don't know Mal, there's a pretty reliable source at SU that's saying the delays are being caused by the software. I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before we see the 800w.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytv
    I've seen it...and let me say...you're all going to love the specs, hate the design, and be frustrated and let down by all the bugs unless something changes drastically in the firmware I've seen...sorry to tell you this...much better devices are coming by this fall...
    No, actually, firmware should be in Release Candidate/final testing three months from release...I don't think it will make April, personally...As for design, there is much pent up demand for a nicer-looking, much slimmer, yet functional Treo...uhhh...this is not it...
    anyone who thinks they've seen a picture of the final hardware yet on the net, is wrong... Like I said, solid specs,sad/uninspired /recycled design, very poor software builds at this very late date, and ultimately I am predicting an unsatifying phone or at least, not the second coming of the 700wx that folks are hoping for on this board...
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=153386&page=4
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    I don't know Mal, there's a pretty reliable source at SU that's saying the delays are being caused by the software. I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before we see the 800w.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...=153386&page=4
    Ah, well then I recant! lol

Hope that info is not true, though I remember JayTV from that site and he seemed quite reliable. But I do wonder about the "bugs" as WM 6 for the most is quite stable, unless these are the Palm addons that are buggy. You don't see many reports of buggy WM on phones these days...

The "looks" issue is also relative, so that remains to be seen as well as we all have our own opinions on what is nice vs. not (Centro is a great example). I already like the mockups that have been floating around where Engadget thinks it's ugly, lol.

I do also hope people don't over-hype what this device is supposed to be, though inevitably that will happen. This is still a business-class device, not a consumer-wonder-phone.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/28/2008 at 05:25 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast