Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If this device's specs are legit, i will be moving from a PalmOS for the first time. I think the selling point for me is 320x320 display
  2.    #22  
    If Palm lays an egg with this...

... then it might be time to think of the 700wx as an exception rather than the rule.

It seems so hard to believe that they botched it, considering how awesome the 700wx is even today, and how usable it was at the time of its release.

I mean, take WM6 (er 5.5 is it?) w/ leading hardware and just apply the Palm WM 5.1 touchups and form factor and you have the makings of an apparent world-beater.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator-1 View Post
    If this device's specs are legit, i will be moving from a PalmOS for the first time. I think the selling point for me is 320x320 display
    Not much WM applications can take the advantage of 320x320 at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by GFONG View Post
    Not much WM applications can take the advantage of 320x320 at the moment.
    The ones where it actually matter, like the browser, video player and picture viewer can.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    If Palm lays an egg with this...

... then it might be time to think of the 700wx as an exception rather than the rule.

It seems so hard to believe that they botched it, considering how awesome the 700wx is even today, and how usable it was at the time of its release.

I mean, take WM6 (er 5.5 is it?) w/ leading hardware and just apply the Palm WM 5.1 touchups and form factor and you have the makings of an apparent world-beater.

Heck, if you would have told me eight years ago that palm would have botched the entire company I'd laughed in your face.

Not to mentioned the botched "updates" they released (remember those?).

I put nothing past palm at this point... 700wx could just as well be the exception rather than the rule. Although, I'm praying someone at palm is playing a "steve jobs" and looking for extreme perfection (or something close to it).

I'd not be surprised if the 800w shipped in an unstable version... then they could come out with a 800wx and wow us! Sound familiar?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  6.    #26  
    The remark in jest about the 800wx makes me worry... I somehow forgot that the wx WAS a correction to a flawed design.

Nevertheless, unless there is indisputable evidence before the 800w's release that it is a POS, I'll give it a try. I don't pay too much attention to other people's perception of beauty in gadgets. I personally think the iPod line looks like a POS and the 650 was the best looking Treo ever produced.

But jaytv's remarks about bugs are surprising and concerning.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I surely want to give Palm the benefit of the doubt here but we know their track record along with the fact there's not much information out there for anyone to even know what is holding the 800w from release after such a long delay. As Malatesta said, no reports of production or issues with carrier certification, so what exactly is the deal here? I'm having a hard time digesting the fact that Palm is having issues with the software. Lets face it, most of us are expecting the "second coming" of the 700wx and it would occur to me that Palm is more than competent in giving that to us in an 800w.

I'm a bit discouraged by jaytv's remarks because i've tried everything Sprint has offered since they released the 700wx (Mogul, Touch, heck even a 8830) and nothing has been as good as my wx (I did however enjoy the 8830 but I believe that was because I was spoiled by the builtin GPS, lol) and I know a lot of people feel the same way. Expecting Palm to release an upgrade to the 700wx after almost 17 months since release shouldn't be such a hard task imo.

However, I will indeed upgrade to the 800w as soon as it's available because I've waited so damn long for a pda with sufficient ram, qwerty and builtin gps (assuming Palm/Sprint keep all of the rumored specs of course). If not, then here's to hoping that something decent arrives on Sprint before the year is out.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    I don't know Mal, there's a pretty reliable source at SU that's saying the delays are being caused by the software. I have a feeling it's gonna be a while before we see the 800w.
    A Sprint salesman told me yesterday that the 800w comes to Sprint June 1st.
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The remark in jest about the 800wx makes me worry... I somehow forgot that the wx WAS a correction to a flawed design.
    I do jest, but I don't think people understand how messed up palm is right now. Their management put them in the toilet bowl... I have very little faith in palm, but I do love their products, once they are right. Almost like Microsoft... never buy a version 1 product from MS. Palm is in the same boat. Those botched updates last year did it for me...

But this stuff's been written over and over and could fill the volumes of 100 million bibles.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    A Sprint salesman told me yesterday that the 800w comes to Sprint June 1st.
    Roger
    Better off saying a bum on the street told you that.... I've found that most salesman don't know their head from a hole in the ground.

I've only known one person that had inside info... she worked in corporate at verizon and tested phones. Even then, she could only speculate what would be released and when. After time though, I guess people like that can make fairly accurate guesses.
    "I've found that most salesman don't know their head from a hole in the ground......"

^ This is an absolute FACT.
    I would have liked it if they kept the design of the 700 series. Give me a CDMA 750 with WM6, WiFi, GPS, and 320x320, and I'm set. This ugly Centro design crap is overrated.

The flush screen is also overrated. The recessed screen protects it. It would pretty much suck if the 800 had a flush screen.
    I'm sorry, but the argument that wifi isn't a great feature is just pretty weak and old. I'm in plenty of places where I don't get a phone signal but have wifi access. I can also hop on my home network and access things I couldn't over evdo. It's just a convenience feature that is a really nice perk. And with more and more public wifi spots, it just makes sense.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    It's old, but it's not weak, since it is true that cellular internet is far more widespread and available than WiFi is. However, it is irrelevant. I don't think anybody, on this forum or otherwise, would oppose having WiFi in a device. If you don't want to use it, just turn it off. There's valid arguments for why it's a good feature to have, but nobody has a valid argument for why it should NOT be included. That's simply because there is no reason it should not be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    ...but nobody has a valid argument for why it should NOT be included. That's simply because there is no reason it should not be.
    Not true actually. They just not be arguments that as consumers, we like to hear, but here are a few:
    • Keep device cost down/within a specified range
    • Availability of chipsets/components
    • Interference with BT and/or cell radio (major engineering issue)
    • FCC approval (very strict on multiple radios)
    • Poor battery life
    • Perceived lack of demand
    • Cost/benefit analysis
    • Carrier choice (force you to use their data)

That was off the top of my head, I'm sure I could come up with more and I bet someone with some technical engineering skills could come up with some as well.

Just saying...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Sorry, you're right. I meant we as consumers don't have any valid arguments.

The battery life is something I don't really think is a valid point, whether presented by manufacturers or consumers. Every device with WiFi that I've seen, you can turn off the WiFi. Sure, some chips may still draw a little power even when off, but it's not enough to noticeably affect battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
    Sorry, you're right. I meant we as consumers don't have any valid arguments.

The battery life is something I don't really think is a valid point, whether presented by manufacturers or consumers. Every device with WiFi that I've seen, you can turn off the WiFi. Sure, some chips may still draw a little power even when off, but it's not enough to noticeably affect battery life.
    Right, from that perspective I agree--especially if someone doesn't want it, just don't use it.

I guess though there are tradeoffs we might not know about e.g. maybe they could have done a 3.5mm jack but had to go with Wifi instead. Some would prefer one over the other. Who knows.

I'm still hoping for a this someday:
    • Wifi/Wimax
    • CDMA/GSM
    • EvDO/HSDPA
    • GPS
    • BT 2.1

But I just don't think it's feasible to jam that all in one device, lol.

many of the newest chipsets include it.

it doesn't affect battery life unless it's turned on. Same thing with bluetooth. If you're not using it, turn it off and improve your battery life. If you don't need it period, never turn it on. It's not like awd on a car that regardless of whether or not you use it, it affects your gas mileage.

Don't believe the FCC cares about wifi like it does cellular radios. I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.

Who's perception of demand? I see it on just about every high end smartphone except for Palm. It's only the yahoo's on these forums that seem to debate it.

And what does carrier choice have to do with wifi? If a majority of people are buying smartphones with unlimited plans, I think they'd welcome people to use wifi and free up bandwidth.

just the fact that the inclusion of wifi stems arguments such as this is ludicrous.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Don't believe the FCC cares about wifi like it does cellular radios. I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.
    I assure you, they care. It's a longer testing process and it cannot interfere with the cell radio, nor give off too much radiation. And BT and Wifi interfere, though not severely. These are engineering issues that have to be worked out to insure proper functioning.
    Who's perception of demand? I see it on just about every high end smartphone except for Palm. It's only the yahoo's on these forums that seem to debate it.

And what does carrier choice have to do with wifi? If a majority of people are buying smartphones with unlimited plans, I think they'd welcome people to use wifi and free up bandwidth.
    Obviously the carriers and OEM's perception, which last I checked is the only one that matters in the end (not that I agree with it).

Sprint has only 1 wifi device--I think that speaks volumes, no? But I defer to you to explain why Sprint doesn't have more than one...and how many does Verizon have?

Or...why can't RIM make a Blackberry with Wifi and GPS? It's one or the other. Surely RIM wouldn't kowtow to the carriers, would they?
    just the fact that the inclusion of wifi stems arguments such as this is ludicrous.
    Spoken as a true consumer. It also cost money to license the drivers from say, Qualcomm. The same reason for HTC not having "Directdraw" on all their new WM devices, necessary for every aspect of graphics--they are being cheap.

Do you have a reason by the way why Wifi is disabled in the Sprint and Verizon HTC Touch? The community is curious since the hardware is there...

I assure you, it's just not Palm.

But from one "yahoo" on this forum, please enlighten us as to the above.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/07/2008 at 05:23 PM.

There's a disabled wifi chip in Sprint's Touch?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast