View Poll Results: Would no Treo headphone/headset jack bother you?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I really want/need the wired audio option!

72 42.35%
  • NO! Thin is in! Change is good! Off with her head(set jack)!

82 48.24%
  • OTHER. (Undecided, on the fence, waiting for a viable third-party candidate, etc.)

16 9.41%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    I for one would like a separate headset jack since I use a headset at the gym at least 3x a week. Since I also use the mini usb/headset port to charge my phone on my HTC Mogul , it eventually crapped out on me. It still charges but now when I plug in a headset it only plays in one ear. This is common sense. The more you use something the more its going to wear out or break eventually. So having a separate headset and charge port will extend the use of each. I've had my Mogul for 7 months only. My Treo 700p which I used for over a year still has a working headset jack since it wasnt stressed out as much. I have a bluetooth headset but it's a pain having to recharge it, take it out put it in the gym back 3x a week. A wired headset I can leave in the gym bag all the time and it's simple to use. Plug it in..done.
    re: "This is common sense. The more you use something the more its going to wear out or break eventually."

Yup. I'm glad it still charges, though. If you're gonna lose one option, I'd prefer it be the headset... but we shouldn't have to sacrifice either.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I for one would like a separate headset jack since I use a headset at the gym at least 3x a week. Since I also use the mini usb/headset port to charge my phone on my HTC Mogul , it eventually crapped out on me. It still charges but now when I plug in a headset it only plays in one ear. This is common sense. The more you use something the more its going to wear out or break eventually. So having a separate headset and charge port will extend the use of each. I've had my Mogul for 7 months only. My Treo 700p which I used for over a year still has a working headset jack since it wasnt stressed out as much. I have a bluetooth headset but it's a pain having to recharge it, take it out put it in the gym back 3x a week. A wired headset I can leave in the gym bag all the time and it's simple to use. Plug it in..done.

I've had my Mogul since the day it was released and have had no trouble with the audio portion of the mini-USB port and I use it frequently (both for charging and wired audio). Maybe your frequent usage of the port did have an effect on it but I don't think it would be accurate to say that just because the audio portion of the port is broken that that means you wore it out (especially if the only example you have to support that claim is just your phone). For all we know, you could have simply gotten a fragile/bad unit to begin with that just got degeneratively worse as you used it until it finally broke.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    I've had my Mogul since the day it was released and have had no trouble with the audio portion of the mini-USB port and I use it frequently (both for charging and wired audio). Maybe your frequent usage of the port did have an effect on it but I don't think it would be accurate to say that just because the audio portion of the port is broken that that means you wore it out (especially if the only example you have to support that claim is just your phone). For all we know, you could have simply gotten a fragile/bad unit to begin with that just got degeneratively worse as you used it until it finally broke.
    In my case it is definitely because of constant usage. If it were a defect I think it wouldve shown up a lot sooner. Again if it had a separate audio jack it wouldve lasted twice as long.
    In my case it is definitely because of constant usage. If it were a defect I think it wouldve shown up a lot sooner. Again if it had a separate audio jack it wouldve lasted twice as long.

That's very possible and may very well be the case. But I just don't know how you can make a statement that you "definitely" wore out the connector. Its impossible for you to prove that you did and impossible for me to prove that you didn't. However, since I've read no other reports of this happening, it seems to me your situation appears to be more the exception than the norm, which points to simply you getting a bad unit.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    That's very possible and may very well be the case. But I just don't know how you can make a statement that you "definitely" wore out the connector. Its impossible for you to prove that you did and impossible for me to prove that you didn't. However, since I've read no other reports of this happening, it seems to me your situation appears to be more the exception than the norm, which points to simply you getting a bad unit.
    It certainly does happen, and quite a few post over at xda-developers about it. HTC Phones were notorious for the mini-USB socket wearing out a few years ago, but this seems to have improved recently. I would certainly recommend bluetooth stereo over using the mini-USB socket most of the time.

Surur

I don't believe I have a bad unit. Haven't you noticed when you first got your phone that when you plug in into the charger it is pretty tight. How is it now? You cant tell me thats because its a defect. It's because of constant unplugging and replugging. Mine is somewhat lose now so when I plug in a headset it isnt making good contact anymore thats why it only plays on one ear. If I hold it in place it works fine. Again if it had a separate headset jack, then it wouldve lasted longer since it wouldve been used "LESS". That does not need to be proven.
    I don't believe I have a bad unit. Haven't you noticed when you first got your phone that when you plug in into the charger it is pretty tight. How is it now? You cant tell me thats because its a defect. It's because of constant unplugging and replugging. Mine is somewhat lose now so when I plug in a headset it isnt making good contact anymore thats why it only plays on one ear. If I hold it in place it works fine. Again if it had a separate headset jack, then it wouldve lasted longer since it wouldve been used "LESS". That does not need to be proven.
    When I plug in my headphones now, it is DEFINITELY loser than when I first got the unit, no question about that. But I don't have the problems you have described and I certainly don't need to hold it in place or do anything extra to get it to make good contact. Its impossible for you to predict (and thus prove) that if it had a dedicated headphone jack, it would have lasted longer, you can't predict the future. Regardless, it doesn't matter at this point, all signs point to the 800w having the combination HTC sync/charge/audio port so we'll all just have to learn to accept it (or just not purchase the product).
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    When I plug in my headphones now, it is DEFINITELY loser than when I first got the unit, no question about that. But I don't have the problems you have described and I certainly don't need to hold it in place or do anything extra to get it to make good contact. Its impossible for you to predict (and thus prove) that if it had a dedicated headphone jack, it would have lasted longer, you can't predict the future. Regardless, it doesn't matter at this point, all signs point to the 800w having the combination HTC sync/charge/audio port so we'll all just have to learn to accept it (or just not purchase the product).
    Actually I have a crystal ball and it tells me the future. OMG. This is all common sense. Mine broke cause of constant use. You're telling me it's impossible for me to predict that is what caused mine to break, but yet you can predict I have a bad unit. I think maybe I need to borrow your crystal ball. Mines probably broken cause I used it too much..oh wait maybe its a defective ball.
    You're telling me it's impossible for me to predict that is what caused mine to break, but yet you can predict I have a bad unit.
    I haven't predicted anything, only said what I think the most likely sceanrio is. In fact, I've said it is entirely possible you wore out the connector from constant use, but the more likely scenario, based on the lack of people reporting wearing out the mini-USB port on the Mogul, is that you received a defective unit. Granted, the most likely scenario isn't always the case, but I see no reason to suggest that in this particular instance.

That's very possible and may very well be the case...However, since I've read no other reports of this happening, it seems to me your situation appears to be more the exception than the norm, which points to simply you getting a bad unit.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 02/10/2008 at 03:55 AM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  10.    #70  
    A recent TC article reminded me that this device lacks a more typical headphone jack. If that will be the case for future (Nova OS?) Treos, I hope they won't require a third-party program for Bluetooth stereo audio.

It's bad enough not having a more typical headphone jack, but having to "share" the mini-usb (?) port could be problematic on a road trip. Maybe road noise or a sleeping passenger makes me want to use earbud(s) at some point, but if the phone is plugged into a power adapter, at the time, I'll have to make a choice that shouldn't be necessary - listen to my music or power my Treo.

Hm. This gripe tastes familiar. I must've said it before. Sorry.
    I have a couple of 700p's. Sprint knew there was a widespread problem with the jacks. we had both jacks break within a few months of very light use. lots of similar problems with other users here.
    yeah I think its pretty stupid not to put a headphone jack in their new devices.. I use pocket tunes religiously and get tired of using their sub-par headphones. Sprints new Instinc will get some good play I think and it has a 3.5m jack built in.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I could honestly care less about the horrid 2.5mm headset jack. But the durability, convenience, and universal compatibility of the stone-age tech offered by an industry standard 3.5mm stereo headphone jack is just a must-have IMO.

Palm was doing well for a while on their older OS5 devices in regards to headphone ports before dropping the ball with every Treo to date (and losing the jack & SD slot when going from the Zire 31 to the Z22 PDA, IMO).

Sure, Garnet has its limitations, but Palm could've make a reasonably nice music player out of the Centro by simply adding a 3.5mm jack. It already has PTunes Deluxe! And I really thought that the 800w would join the recent BlackBerry devices, many WM handsets and the iPhones in offering 3.5mm.

So, in short, I can live with losing the Athena connector and going to mini or micro USB. I can live without 2.5mm headset adapters and with BT headsets for telephony usage. But I INSIST on a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack so I can use my collection of lovely Sony, Sennheiser, and Shure earbuds without having to worry about a fragile or easily lost adapter!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    So what's the final word? I have a pair of $300 earbuds that use a 3.5mm jack. Is there ANY way to plug those in to this 800w?
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    So what's the final word? I have a pair of $300 earbuds that use a 3.5mm jack. Is there ANY way to plug those in to this 800w?
    USB adapter.

You might need a mini-jack to a 3.5mm adapter as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post
    I'm pretty positive it will come with the microUSB-to-3.5mm headphone adapter, like most HTC devices. They may also include a split one which will allow charging/syncing and the headphone jack.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Personally, I feel that they don't need to have a headphone jack (on the assumption the BT stack will be reliable), but if they do, I think they should do something like Malatesta mentioned. Not that I like adaptors, or think an audio jack is NEEDED, but it is a nice feature to have, and fall back on (BT charge runs out, bon't have stereo BT.....). Another reason is with Palm's history of flukey headset jacks, a fresh approach may be just what is needed for Palm to get it right!

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    It's needed in my opinion. Especially if Palm would have a chance of converting buyers who are on the fence as to whether to buy an Iphone or a Treo, such as myself. The ONLY reason i didn't go with Apple is because it doesn't have a keyboard which is a must have for me.

I mean, I just bought a cheap 8gb micro sd card for my 800w...but guess what...they don't make the 3.5mm adapter yet to allow me to use my favorite headphones. :-(
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi, have you found any 3.5mm adapters?? Please share the link if so!
  20.    #80  
    It's needed because so many users would require it, in the situations mentioned previously.

I don't say that landline phones shouldn't be available simply because I don't use one. The fact that you don't expect to use or need a wired headset solution doesn't mean it's not a good option to have.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast