View Poll Results: Would no Treo headphone/headset jack bother you?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I really want/need the wired audio option!

72 42.35%
  • NO! Thin is in! Change is good! Off with her head(set jack)!

82 48.24%
  • OTHER. (Undecided, on the fence, waiting for a viable third-party candidate, etc.)

16 9.41%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    I think th 800w should hav a 3.5mm or a app built in that lets you turn BT headphone profile on and off (still haven't fgured out BT audio on my 750).
    Just use the free plugin from TekSoft: A2DP Toggle. Adds one-line plugin that is 5-way navigable. Can't be any easier, imo.

Also pay-apps like PhoneAlarm can also toggle A2DP very easily, with or w/o profiles.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just use the free plugin from TekSoft: A2DP Toggle. Adds one-line plugin that is 5-way navigable. Can't be any easier, imo.
    Yes it can. That Teksoft software is scriptable, so you can get rid of the today plug-in, and use a mortscript script to map A2DP connection and disconnection to a single button

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Yes it can. That Teksoft software is scriptable, so you can get rid of the today plug-in, and use a mortscript script to map A2DP connection and disconnection to a single button

Surur
    lol, true. There is a mortscript for everything (I have one making me dinner right now).

But I think that OP needs to walk first before he runs...

4.    #44  
    It happened, again, today. I tried to set up Bluetooth stereo audio on my Treo 755p before biking to class. The phone rebooted.

When I'm on a tight schedule, I've learned that it's best not to keep trying. I just gave up on the Bluetooth option and plugged in my stereo earbuds.

No adapters are necessary to use them. I'd hate to lose that option on the 800w.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It happened, again, today. I tried to set up Bluetooth stereo audio on my Treo 755p before biking to class. The phone rebooted.

When I'm on a tight schedule, I've learned that it's best not to keep trying. I just gave up on the Bluetooth option and plugged in my stereo earbuds.

No adapters are necessary to use them. I'd hate to lose that option on the 800w.
    In fairness...A2DP on PalmOS is a bit of a kludge and is nowhere near as stable compared to WM. The OS and processor barely can handle it, then there is that dbcache issue.

There are no "resets" on WM, especially when using A2DP--it just works.

Bluetooth does not cause resets on WM. Seeing how all HTC customers have not had headphone jacks for the last 12 months, and there is no real outcry about this, I would not worry.

Surur
  7.    #47  
    In fairness...A2DP on PalmOS is a bit of a kludge and is nowhere near as stable compared to WM. The OS and processor barely can handle it, then there is that dbcache issue.

There are no "resets" on WM, especially when using A2DP--it just works.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Bluetooth does not cause resets on WM. Seeing how all HTC customers have not had headphone jacks for the last 12 months, and there is no real outcry about this, I would not worry.

Surur
    That's good to hear. Mostly, I meant, though, that sometimes the wireless option isn't convenient. That was just one example.

Another is when the phone decides that the weight of A2DP and Kinoma streaming are too much for the Treo's processor, memory, battery life or whatever.

These are the times whipping out the wired earbuds, without keeping up with an adaptor, is a nice option to have.
    That's good to hear. Mostly, I meant, though, that sometimes the wireless option isn't convenient. That was just one example.

Another is when the phone decides that the weight of A2DP and Kinoma streaming are too much for the Treo's processor, memory, battery life or whatever.

These are the times whipping out the wired earbuds, without keeping up with an adaptor, is a nice option to have.
    I agree with the sentiment--I'd rather have a 3.5mm than not. But, if it means having that and loosing another feature like GPS or Wifi (or making the device larger) then I would prefer the former and I guess that's the real test here: which is more important to you as the potential customer.

Even for what we consider normal stuff (Wifi and BT) a new study came out showing that indeed, they interfere with each other. Not to the point of major distortion, but just enough. That's the magic in trying to jam all these radios and features in a device that the consumer tends to overlook. We just shout from the sidelines "jam it all in there--screw engineering principles!", lol

If you are carrying a wired headset anyway, why not just leave the adapter plugged into the headset, then you have it when you need it?
    Or better yet, use a headset that has a mini-USB end if you are worried about trying to keep up with an adaptor. I really think this is a non-issue. I can see how someone who routinely uses a wired headset may be concerned but I think if you follow some of the advice stated in this thread, you will be just fine. As one of the previous posters mentioned, many of the current HTC devices don't have dedicated headset jacks and I don't hear much complaining from those users and as one of them, I can tell you, I don't miss it at all (and I routinely used the jack when I had my Treo). I use either bluetooth, the included wired headset that has a mini-USB end, or I use a small adaptor that I leave attached to my headphones (so I never forget it). This is not something to be worried about at all.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 02/04/2008 at 04:33 PM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  11.    #51  
    I agree with the sentiment--I'd rather have a 3.5mm than not. But, if it means having that and loosing another feature like GPS or Wifi (or making the device larger) then I would prefer the former and I guess that's the real test here: which is more important to you as the potential customer.

Even for what we consider normal stuff (Wifi and BT) a new study came out showing that indeed, they interfere with each other. Not to the point of major distortion, but just enough. That's the magic in trying to jam all these radios and features in a device that the consumer tends to overlook. We just shout from the sidelines "jam it all in there--screw engineering principles!", lol
    I guess I WOULD give it up for internal GPS. All of this gps pairing can be a pain, sometimes (but mostly with my old 650).
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by serchend View Post
    If you are carrying a wired headset anyway, why not just leave the adapter plugged into the headset, then you have it when you need it?
    Easier to lose that way and it probably will interfere with placement in a holster/case.
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    Or better yet, use a headset that has a mini-USB end if you are worried about trying to keep up with an adaptor. I really think this is a non-issue. I can see how someone who routinely uses a wired headset may be concerned but I think if you follow some of the advice stated in this thread, you will be just fine. As one of the previous posters mentioned, many of the current HTC devices don't have dedicated headset jacks and I don't hear much complaining from those users and as one of them, I can tell you, I don't miss it at all (and I routinely used the jack when I had my Treo). I use either bluetooth, the included wired headset that has a mini-USB end, or I use a small adaptor that I leave attached to my headphones (so I never forget it). This is not something to be worried about at all.
    Different people have different habits and different needs that make non-issues for some into bigger issues for others.

Kinda like all the folks saying no reset button on 755p's is a non-issue except some of us keep our phones in cases and would rather not have to crack open the case, pull off the battery door, then remove the battery... instead of just pushing a button.

It's certainly not the end of the world, by any means, but I'm sure there are similarities between the above example and the wired headset situation we're discussing.

But I still admit that having internal GPS and wifi are a nice trade-off.
    Different people have different habits and different needs that make non-issues for some into bigger issues for others.
    No doubt. I don't know what kind of headset/headphones you use but if its just a standard one, then solutions exist where there are no tradeoffs. For example, if you use a headset that has a mini-USB connector, the only thing different compared to your current hardwire setup would be the shape of the connector on the end. It would still be a hardwire connection and no need for an adaptor.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781 View Post
    No doubt. I don't know what kind of headset/headphones you use but if its just a standard one, then solutions exist where there are no tradeoffs. For example, if you use a headset that has a mini-USB connector, the only thing different compared to your current hardwire setup would be the shape of the connector on the end. It would still be a hardwire connection and no need for an adaptor.
    I use the stock stereo earbuds. They're easy to store, they provide stereo audio, and, if I get a call while listening to music, they let me talk to the caller without switching devices. No adapter needed.

I guess I'll make the adjustment if I jump on the 800, but that's one part that'll be pretty bothersome. I listen to stereo audio more than just about anything other than talking on the phone.
    I use the stock stereo earbuds. They're easy to store, they provide stereo audio, and, if I get a call while listening to music, they let me talk to the caller without switching devices. No adapter needed.
    Then the situation will be completely unchanged, as HTC phones also ship with wired stereo headsets that you can also use for phone wired handsfree.

Surur
  17.    #57  
    The 800w would be likely to come with a pair, I guess. An adapter, too, I hope.
    YES I need the WIRED audio jack!
    Anytime I get into a vehicle like the dreaded minivan we have it doesn't have an mp3 capable cd player so I like to plug my treo into it via an FM modulator or the DVD player's A/V input jack.
    BlueTooth only would then be worthless!

Not too mention I listen to mp3's or streaming audio all day at work. I do this easily with the wired headphones. BlueTooth batteries don't play too long and need recharging often!
    I for one would like a separate headset jack since I use a headset at the gym at least 3x a week. Since I also use the mini usb/headset port to charge my phone on my HTC Mogul , it eventually crapped out on me. It still charges but now when I plug in a headset it only plays in one ear. This is common sense. The more you use something the more its going to wear out or break eventually. So having a separate headset and charge port will extend the use of each. I've had my Mogul for 7 months only. My Treo 700p which I used for over a year still has a working headset jack since it wasnt stressed out as much. I have a bluetooth headset but it's a pain having to recharge it, take it out put it in the gym back 3x a week. A wired headset I can leave in the gym bag all the time and it's simple to use. Plug it in..done.
    Quote Originally Posted by paysonbadboy View Post
    YES I need the WIRED audio jack!
    Anytime I get into a vehicle like the dreaded minivan we have it doesn't have an mp3 capable cd player so I like to plug my treo into it via an FM modulator or the DVD player's A/V input jack.
    BlueTooth only would then be worthless!

Not too mention I listen to mp3's or streaming audio all day at work. I do this easily with the wired headphones. BlueTooth batteries don't play too long and need recharging often!
    The 800w isn't going to have just bluetooth. Its going to have a combination audio port as well in the form of mini-USB, so you will simply need a miniUSB-to-3.5mm audio jack converter (which are widely available). So for you, its going to be the same setup, you are just going to be using a different adaptor than the one you are currently using.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast