View Poll Results: Would no Treo headphone/headset jack bother you?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I really want/need the wired audio option!

72 42.35%
  • NO! Thin is in! Change is good! Off with her head(set jack)!

82 48.24%
  • OTHER. (Undecided, on the fence, waiting for a viable third-party candidate, etc.)

16 9.41%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I voted other, because I think it should have had a 3.5 mm jack. ExtUSB (which is what will likely be used) is fine, and on new HTC devices pretty robust, but its still a hassle when you cant use any headphones you buy from your local shop. In addition 3.5 mm headphone jacks are making a resurgence in phones due to all the music phones being sold.

I think Palm misses these little opportunities to 'delight its users' too much.
    I don't want to have to bring another charger with me everywhere.

I will probably use Seidio's adapter since it's not hideously large like the one HTC bundles with their phones.

I understand Palm's decision. As long as they got everything else right, the missing jack is not a deal-breaker.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I voted other, because I think it should have had a 3.5 mm jack. ExtUSB (which is what will likely be used) is fine, and on new HTC devices pretty robust, but its still a hassle when you cant use any headphones you buy from your local shop. In addition 3.5 mm headphone jacks are making a resurgence in phones due to all the music phones being sold.

I think Palm misses these little opportunities to 'delight its users' too much.
    The "YES" option didn't specify a jack size. A headset/headphone jack, whatever the size, is the issue. I'd count that as a "yes."

Thanks for explaining your "OTHER" vote. I hope others do, as well.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I would like a headphone jack. I list to lots of music on my phone and will be limited by the headsets battery power. I'd love a 3.5mm like the I phone!
    Treo 600-->Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 700wx --> Treo 800w --> HTC Touch Diamond --> HTC Touch Pro 2 --> HTC EVO
    I didn't enjoy A2DP, I used it a few months. I hated having to charge yet another thing, and getting it set up to route audio involves too many clicks (although I have heard certain headsets enable the audio automatically, is this true?) And then there's the slowdown it causes on the device.

Doesn't matter, I'd just use the included mini-USB stereo headset. But seeing as no one has stepped up with a superior high speed synchronization/player combination for Windows Mobile, my 1rst gen Nano will have to continue to be that for me (i'm 100% podcasts, so I want a solution that syncs/plays them back/remembers my position in each). It all seems like omitting the jack is Palm/HTC's admission of that.

And so I'm taking a guess that HTC's playing a large role here in the engineering behind the device, seeing as most of their recent phones are pushing mini-usb only (Dash, Mogul, Touch, etc). I don't think it's a space issue, as the Blackberry curve, which has wifi and is thinner (if Centro-thickness is indeed our measure), has a full sized 3.5mm jack.

If that's the case, we should we also be worried about the graphics on this device, given that HTC's not shipping proper graphics drivers? The video performance could potentially be a lot worse because it's pushing 320x320 instead of 320x240.

But hey, as long as I'm only using my Treo for intended purposes like making phone calls, reading emails and sending texts, I'll be fine.

/end emo rant
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    Doesn't matter, I'd just use the included mini-USB stereo headset. But seeing as no one has stepped up with a superior high speed synchronization/player combination for Windows Mobile, my 1rst gen Nano will have to continue to be that for me (i'm 100% podcasts, so I want a solution that syncs/plays them back/remembers my position in each). It all seems like omitting the jack is Palm/HTC's admission of that.
    The combination of Ippodder, beyondsync and HTC AudioManager works relatively OK for podcasts.

Surur
    I think the poll is missing the choice of once you go bluetooth you never go back.

But the poll does show the weight to no wired.

I have not used a wired head set in 2+ years.

Jabra 250.

Regards
    graylion
  8.    #28  
    I've not used Windows Mobile before, as I said, but today's experience is the kind of thing I would be concerned about if I had no typical headphone jack.

We were waiting to be seated at a restaurant and I was watching the final big scene from the Tenacious D flick for the millionth time on my Treo 755p. It was a YouTube video accessed via Kinoma.

Once we were around more people, I considered using my Bluetooth stereo headphones to listen from that point on, but I couldn't leave Kinoma without losing my place. I'd need to leave Kinoma, though, to start up SAG (A2DP).

I thought I was screwed until (and this really happened) my girlfriend mentioned that I could just plug in my earbuds. It honestly didn't occur to me, despite the fact that I just used them, a couple of days, ago, when I forgot my S9.

Anyway, I suspect Windows Mobile has a simple way out of such a situation or that Kinoma, or whatever one uses for YouTube watching on WM, DOES run in the background, so I wouldn't necessarily lose my place.

But that's my concern - having to lose my place to initiate A2DP, instead of just pluggin' in. Man, I hope the 800w comes with that mini-usb adapter.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by graylion View Post
    I think the poll is missing the choice of once you go bluetooth you never go back.
    Not if I don't have to, for some reason. Wires are a pain in the @$$.

But I sometimes find myself in such situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I've not used Windows Mobile before, as I said, but today's experience is the kind of thing I would be concerned about if I had no typical headphone jack.

We were waiting to be seated at a restaurant and I was watching the final big scene from the Tenacious D flick for the millionth time on my Treo 755p. It was a YouTube video accessed via Kinoma.

Once we were around more people, I considered using my Bluetooth stereo headphones to listen from that point on, but I couldn't leave Kinoma without losing my place. I'd need to leave Kinoma, though, to start up SAG (A2DP).

I thought I was screwed until (and this really happened) my girlfriend mentioned that I could just plug in my earbuds. It honestly didn't occur to me, despite the fact that I just used them, a couple of days, ago, when I forgot my S9.

Anyway, I suspect Windows Mobile has a simple way out of such a situation or that Kinoma, or whatever one uses for YouTube watching on WM, DOES run in the background, so I wouldn't necessarily lose my place.

But that's my concern - having to lose my place to initiate A2DP, instead of just pluggin' in. Man, I hope the 800w comes with that mini-usb adapter.
    Thats what multi-tasking is all about. You don't need to exit an app to start another. Anyway, as you mentioned earlier, on WM most bluetooth headphones will auto-connect when you power them on.

Surur
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I think it is a deal breaker...

I love my curve, because it has a 3.5mm jack, if im away from home, forget a pair of headphones, i can buy a new one, and not have to worry about an adapter.

2nd, wired headphones sound better and look 1000x times less stupid, and work 100% of the time. I tried BT headphones last year, thought it sounded like crap, and would cut out all the time. But then again it was on a palm device, maybe thats why.

It seems like palm is doing the exact opposite of Blackberry - even thought BB has 40% of the market!

But I guarentee its a HTC thing, seeing how they are most likely building the device for palm, htc might have pushed it.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Thats what multi-tasking is all about. You don't need to exit an app to start another. Anyway, as you mentioned earlier, on WM most bluetooth headphones will auto-connect when you power them on.

Surur
    Is there a Kinoma-equivalent for the WM OS? (For all I know, Kinoma has a WM version, but I dunno.)
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Is there a Kinoma-equivalent for the WM OS? (For all I know, Kinoma has a WM version, but I dunno.)
    Today you can use Kinoma Player on Windows Mobile by using StyleTap.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    I think th 800w should hav a 3.5mm or a app built in that lets you turn BT headphone profile on and off (still haven't fgured out BT audio on my 750).
    I have the Platronics 590a, Moto S9's and my wired shures. Shures win hands down. I don't look like a alien with my earbuds in.
    I think this is the connector that will be on the next device:
    http://www.molex.com/product/microusb.html

Although I am referenced in the 4th paragraph, this does seem logical..
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...ile-connector/

I Bluetooth everything, so for me it is not anything I am concerned with. Ben
    Are you guys serious that there is no headphone jack on the 800w? CRAP!

I have a pair of $250 custom molded in-ear headphones that I currently use with my Treo. If I can't use my headphones on the new phone I will probably have to upgrade to a different phone (or downgrade my headphones to something wireless).

Ugh. Sucks.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post

I have a pair of $250 custom molded in-ear headphones that I currently use with my Treo. If I can't use my headphones on the new phone I will probably have to upgrade to a different phone (or downgrade my headphones to something wireless).

Ugh. Sucks.
    Apparently, there is or will be an adapter available for wireD headphone use.
    Quote Originally Posted by DjPiLL View Post

Ugh. Sucks.
    If you are using it with an adapter now you should be able to continue doing so.

Some good news to add is that the miniUSB socket can take a remote control with an adapter attached, so you can change tracks without having to handle your phone.

http://www.expansys.com.hk/p_windows....aspx?i=145158

Surur
    hey that's a pretty cool remote thingy! thx for posting it
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast