Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Does push email require you to be connected to the internet in order to get an email? If not, how does it work? Also Alltel has an add on to their plan called Office Sync. It is $10 extrea a month. Can I eliminate it and use one of the free services like mail2web.com with Flexmail? Just trying to get away cheap with push email.
    Last edited by Zeus661; 01/24/2008 at 04:49 PM.

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    Yes push email requires your to be connected to the internet to receive your email. You can set in your activesync settings what time of day you want your email sent or have sent 24/7. I use mail2web and it works great but again the requirement is that you are connected to the internet for you to have your email pushed to your phone.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    If it requires a 24/7 interent connection then you are probably better of not using "Push" but just pulling your emails to Outlook when YOU decide to check. That way your internet connection is not on all the time running down your battery faster.

Does that make sense what I said?

Thanks

Treo 700wx Alltel

Honda Valkyrie Rider
    There is push, and there is quasi-push.

Alltell's office sync sounds like quasi-push to me. A sms gets sent to the device when there is a new message which initiates a pull. This is like Sprints business connection.

True push uses a heartbeat protocol. Exchange AS for example.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  5. TheOneThing
    FWIW - I have PUSH on my 700wx going against my Exchange Server at home. I do have to put my wx, which has the Seidio extended battery, on the charger every night.
    Keep in mind that with a device like the Treo, people often use the term 'internet connection' incorrectly - I've seen it for years. Think of things this way:

The Treo has two parts to its connection - a voice part, and a data part.

Those two connections can BOTH have two states - a dormant state and an active state.

The voice part of that is easy - I'm dormant when my phone is on and I'm not talking. I'm active when I'm talking to someone.

The data part is not as obvious, but think of it this way - when you are ACTIVELY receiving or transmitting data, you are, of course, ACTIVE on the data network. Sending an email out, getting an email, downloading a web page from the browser, doing some streaming something - all those are ACTIVE data processes, and depending on your specific Treo model, you can tell you're active on the data network by your arrows up at the top of the screen. Those arrows might be green, or they might be solid - it varies, but when the arrows change, you're active.

What people tend to confuse is the dormant state of the data connection. Generally, when you fire up your Treo, it will connect to the voice network, and then also the data network (this process varies with the provider and the specific network technologies - CDMA vs GSM; EvDO vs 1X, GPRS vs EdGE vs UMTS, etc). Once the device gets a connection to the data network side of things, it will usually leave itself in a dormant state (grey arrows, or maybe greyed out arrows - also varies). This dormant state is how things are supposed to work. Normal. (I see people who want to forcibly shut down the data connection, to 'save battery', and that's a waste of energy - does nothing for them). Simply having a dormant data connection uses no more battery than not being connection. Dormant is normal. The APPLICATION that's using the data connection is what will end up impacting battery life.

Ok so - back to the original question of email and internet connection - yes, in order to get email pushed to you (by whatever app and however it does it), your device has to have a data connection. That connection will be in a standby (dormant) mode until some event (either an IP ping in the case of Exchange ActiveSync, or perhaps that SMS thing from the Alltel service, assuming that's how that service works) tells the the device 'hey, here's an email', or 'hey you have email; come and get it'.

Same thing for web browsing or any other data application. The data connection is dormant until you use it. Just like with your PC at home, with DSL or a cable modem/whatever. You have a data connection for that PC, sitting there, and until you DO something to use that data, the connection is dormant.

Hope that makes sense to someone other than me and is helpful.
    Right, but at a higher level; a quasi push solution could theoretically inititate and terminate a data session every it gets that SMS telling it to poll the server. Theoretically- that is obviosuly not how it works in practice.

EAS, on the other hand needs a live (active/dormant) connection to work as it uses scripts to determine if a new message is on the server.

You are right though- the confusion between dormant and actual disconnected connections is widespread. I can't tell you how many posts I made when the "always on" Internet hack first surfaced. Back in the 1xrtt days everyone thought it meant the phone wouldent ring.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2