Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    looks like a new sprint roadmap has leaked and the REAL follow up to the 700w/wx series won't be released until quarter 1 2008.

"Q1-2008

Treo 800w - The first major improvement to Windows Mobile CDMA Treo units. It should ship before CTIA... averting mobs of press questions as to why CDMA still lacks a Windows Mobile 6 Treo."

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2316/1/
    Well, at least we know that it is coming and when. Pity the date though, but at least I get to start saving!

Hmm..I dare wonder about the million dollar question, which *may* be related to Q1 2008: Treo Wimax?

Palm was rumored to be working on that (see Engadget in March)

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    "Palm Gryphon - Treo 500 series, a low-cost, ultra-thin Treo aimed at lower-cost audiences. Expected to retail for $99 with new service agreement."

Is this different from the Centro?? The Centro isn't "ultra-thin", unless they mean narrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    "Palm Gryphon - Treo 500 series, a low-cost, ultra-thin Treo aimed at lower-cost audiences. Expected to retail for $99 with new service agreement."

Is this different from the Centro?? The Centro isn't "ultra-thin", unless they mean narrow.
    It is.

As far as "ultra-thin" obviously marketing. But to be fair, we don't know the actual dimensions. From the leaked pics it seemed to be as thick (thin) as your thumb.

It could also be a relative term e.g. it's ultra thin compared to Treos, lol.

hopefully less thick than the much heralded T680!

and the wait begins
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
  6.    #6  
    Between now & atleast March 08 it's anybodys guess as to what the 800 will come equipped with. I too was hoping for a new treo this year but with this news they better put wimax into this thing. lol. I just hope it comes loaded like the Kaiser.

samkim, I'm pretty sure the Palm Gryphon is the Centro. Even Sprint "unofficially" announced it the other day at their technology summit.
    Quote Originally Posted by untouchablez View Post
    Between now & atleast March 08 it's anybodys guess as to what the 800 will come equipped with. I too was hoping for a new treo this year but with this news they better put wimax into this thing. lol. I just hope it comes loaded like the Kaiser.
    I'm thinking just because of the relationship that Sprint and Palm have (a very close one) and the fact Palm needs a "wow" device it would make sense that this would be the case. With Wimax aka Xohm announced and rolling out early 2008 (slightly pushed back from the "end of 2007") it would seem the two are running parallel for release dates.

But like you said, until we hear more...

Edit: here is that Engadget story

"Palm to serve up "ultra thin" WiMAX smartphone this year?"

...won't be released until quarter 1 2008...It should ship before CTIA....
    That's April 1st in Vegas. Wow, if the WM6 full-size Treo doesn't ship until next Spring, then the POS II/Linux full-size Treo will be pushed back even further into '08 (Fall '08?)...Colligan wasn't kidding about its release slipping into next year.
    the question in my mind will be "what will other devices look like by q108?"
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    That's April 1st in Vegas. Wow, if the WM6 full-size Treo doesn't ship until next Spring, then the POS II/Linux full-size Treo will be pushed back even further into '08 (Fall '08?)...Colligan wasn't kidding about its release slipping into next year.
    I don't think that's the case.

The POSII project is extremely secretive and is Palm's last ditch at reclaiming their glory (imo).

They want that device to be their crown jewel and will keep it under wraps for as long as they can, lest they get copied. I'm sure Sprint has a time-frame but lets not kid ourselves, the WM6 Treo is much easier for them to work with and get out faster than the POSII.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...the WM6 Treo is much easier for them to work with and get out faster than the POSII.
    True.
  12.    #12  
    The POSII probably won't be delayed too much. They have to release it next year especially with wimax right around the corner.
    However, The 800w could also ship in Jan for all we know but as long as its before CTIA. I just hope the extra wait is going to be worth it.
    Last edited by untouchablez; 08/19/2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    So in the mean time, what can I get at Sprint? I want WM on it and I dont like anything with antenna sticking out.

Q1-2008
    That's about 24 months for an update, isn't it (from the original 700w)? Too bad - I will be long gone by then...too many other choices....(OK, not that anyone really cares that I will be long gone, but I was kinda waiting around to see what & when and I felt compelled to post something tonight).
    I am annoyed that its a long time away but at the same time, its a good thing since my contract with Sprint began on labor day when I bought the 700wx. That will at least mean I will be almost 1 1/2 years into their contract so they give it to me as an "upgrade" and extend my contract.

Now...I wonder what specs it has and what it looks like.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    So in the mean time, what can I get at Sprint? I want WM on it and I dont like anything with antenna sticking out.
    Get a 700wx and put a Zoti antenna on it http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=145872

You can also go with the Sprint HTC Mogul, but it does have a sliding keyboard.
    Last edited by stroths; 08/19/2007 at 10:09 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I guess I'll be getting the Mogul then for now.. Q1 '08 is better then nothing.

SERO 1250 7PM N&W / 15% CORP Discount / Unlimited SMS
    I'm always cautious about time tables given by users, but it looks like user "comptech2002" from the phonenews.com forum accurately stated the PPC-6800 of Sprint's release this past July, so this latest news/rumor looks to me to be creditable.

Going from my Treo 650 to the Treo 800 will be exciting (I hope I like WM6).

The Post of this latest news:
    http://www.phonenews.com/forums/inde...showtopic=2314
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If I get the Mogul now, then it will be expensive when the new 800w comes out at Sprint because no discount in the middle of your contract.

I dont know what to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    ....accurately stated the PPC-6800 of Sprint's release this past July, so this latest news/rumor looks to me to be creditable.
    Huh? It was easy for him to be accurate in July since the Mogul was released in June!
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast