Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Regarding the loss of the headset jack, I will say that I am mildly disappointed. I would have been happier if they had moved to a 3.5 mm jack instead of the cellphone standard 2.5 mm. The BB Pearl did this and I think it was a smart move.

With regard to A2DP goodness, I'll agree that its very convenient and I really do like the Plantronics Voyager 855 BT stereo headset I bought. But I can't compare the audio quality of a wireless headset to the wired variety. There's a much larger selection of wired headsets and they are considerably cheaper. But the audio quality is typically much better on wired units (the bass being the weakness on my 855s) and then there is the fact that it's one more battery you have to worry about charging.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still interested in the device and will probably buy it immediately if it's released on Verizon (my 700P is getting pretty tired) but I have to say that the BB handsets still match or exceed in a lot of areas.

The potential that it uses aGPS instead of a stand-alone SiRFIII chipset is also disappointing... On the other hand, with Verizon crippling the GPS functionality in the 8830 and in the Pearl, I guess it doesn't matter too much one way or the other.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post
    The potential that it uses aGPS instead of a stand-alone SiRFIII chipset is also disappointing... On the other hand, with Verizon crippling the GPS functionality in the 8830 and in the Pearl, I guess it doesn't matter too much one way or the other.
    I'm going to take a good hard look at the HTC Touch which in a white color, is likely going to be released by VZW before the 800w. if it can do VZNavigator, I might buy that instead.....The Touch Cruise has fully integrated GPS which theoretically can do GPS independent of the program used, but whether Verizon will ever get it, only God knows. And since God does not use cellphones, he probably doesn't care....heheheh!
    Roger
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    So when Sprint says a phone is "GPS enabled" does that mean you can use a stand alone program like Tomtom, or does it mean that you can only use their software that charges a monthly fee? And, this is a serious question - I don't know that much about this, I thought aGPS was more accurate and faster than GPS because it uses satellites and cell phone tower info in tandem to get a location. Why would it be a bad thing if it used aGPS?
    But I can't compare the audio quality of a wireless headset to the wired variety. There's a much larger selection of wired headsets and they are considerably cheaper. But the audio quality is typically much better on wired units (the bass being the weakness on my 855s) and then there is the fact that it's one more battery you have to worry about charging.
    Right, but mentioned above there is still a wired option.
    Steve, small technical clarification here:

aGPS is better than a SirfIII chipset. It is faster, more accurate, requires less computing by the device and most importantly, allows you to get a GPS fix indoors and in cities/mountains/canyons. aGPS is just what it sounds like: it uses satellites + tower assistance servers.

The reason you also don't see more SirfIII chipsets is because they are redundant here in the U.S. since every phone is mandated to have aGPS already.

If you look up the specs on Qualcomm's aGPS, it can operate in 4 different modes, depending on configuration. One of those modes is "standalone" or "autonomous" which is what the "source" posted the 800w as having.

Case in point: HTC Tilt is aGPS, BB's are aGPS. Motorola Q q9c on Sprint is aGPS and both operate in standalone mode. In fact I posted up a hack discovered that enables the tower assistance servers for the Sprint Q q9c, suggesting that Sprint is allowing these to operate in standalone.

aGPS is a very good thing. The *real* issue is whether it is
    • Unlocked/non-crippled
    • Can operate in autonomous mode

Everything tells me the 800w has/does both. If unlocked/non-crippled, then yes, you can use any GPS mapping program out there. Even when they are slightly crippled (they hide the COM ports) simple hacks will fix that. Just look at the Sprint Q q9c: you can install Google Maps and Live Search and use GPS flat-out, no issues. That is a good sign at what future Sprint WM devices will allow.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mal,

I had no idea aGPS had a "standalone" mode and why it is in fact better. Hopefully the 800w has it. I'm incredibly excited about this phone after reading your post and having renewed hope for GPS.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Right, but mentioned above there is still a wired option.
    True, but then we're right back at a dongle no matter what and the question of what connection it will take (2.5 or 3.5) remains.

Steve, small technical clarification here:

aGPS is better than a SirfIII chipset. It is faster, more accurate, requires less computing by the device and most importantly, allows you to get a GPS fix indoors and in cities/mountains/canyons. aGPS is just what it sounds like: it uses satellites + tower assistance servers.

The reason you also don't see more SirfIII chipsets is because they are redundant here in the U.S. since every phone is mandated to have aGPS already.

If you look up the specs on Qualcomm's aGPS, it can operate in 4 different modes, depending on configuration. One of those modes is "standalone" or "autonomous" which is what the "source" posted the 800w as having.

Case in point: HTC Tilt is aGPS, BB's are aGPS. Motorola Q q9c on Sprint is aGPS and both operate in standalone mode. In fact I posted up a hack discovered that enables the tower assistance servers for the Sprint Q q9c, suggesting that Sprint is allowing these to operate in standalone.

aGPS is a very good thing. The *real* issue is whether it is
    • Unlocked/non-crippled
    • Can operate in autonomous mode
    Everything tells me the 800w has/does both. If unlocked/non-crippled, then yes, you can use any GPS mapping program out there. Even when they are slightly crippled (they hide the COM ports) simple hacks will fix that. Just look at the Sprint Q q9c: you can install Google Maps and Live Search and use GPS flat-out, no issues. That is a good sign at what future Sprint WM devices will allow.
    I stand corrected. Earlier documents that I read indicated that aGPS functionality enabled the reciever to obtain the info from a few satellites only and to process that data with a backend server. It was intended to offload the processing requirements from the handset. But having read a bit more on gpsOne, it seems that is not accurate. So much the better. Thanks for the info.

Here's to hoping Verizon still doesn't block its proper usage when/if they sell it. Sprint has been better in that department with the 8830 and 8130.
    reg aGPS. Big ups to Malatesta for having set me straight on that awhile ago. It also bugs me that engadget is hating on this 800w so much!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus View Post
    rIt also bugs me that engadget is hating on this 800w so much!
    Slagging off Palm seems to be a fashionable thing to do at the moment

They also like to take credit for Palm's dropping of the Foleo, which has more to do with Elevation Partners than their open letter I expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Slagging off Palm seems to be a fashionable thing to do at the moment

They also like to take credit for Palm's dropping of the Foleo, which has more to do with Elevation Partners than their open letter I expect.
    It also bugs me that engadget is hating on this 800w so much!
    Same here. They love nitpicking every little thing about the 800w. I like to throw it back at them about the Centro which they said was basically going to flop and it was terrible, yadda yadda and obviously there were wrong on that.
    Here's to hoping Verizon still doesn't block its proper usage when/if they sell it. Sprint has been better in that department with the 8830 and 8130.
    Yeah, Verizon is all about locking down GPS to use only their Nav service. It will be interesting to se what the Touch does and the 800w in this regard on their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Mal,

I had no idea aGPS had a "standalone" mode and why it is in fact better. Hopefully the 800w has it. I'm incredibly excited about this phone after reading your post and having renewed hope for GPS.

As long as the aGPS is unlocked and I'm confident it will be, having it available will be a very nice feature.

reg aGPS. Big ups to Malatesta for having set me straight on that awhile ago. It also bugs me that engadget is hating on this 800w so much!
    I think that it is maybe just their total frustration on what Palm has done. We all wanted and expected that "Pefect Device" under our Trees for Xmas (and it is not going to be under our tree this coming xmas, maybe the Android). Palm was King of the market and they squandered their lead. Remember this is the company that gave us the Palm Pilot, then the sleek Palm V. Five (5) years on the current OS is too long. I am using the BB 8830 now and miss the wealth of programs that I have for the Palm OS and the Window Mobile Platform too. I recently tried the Motorola Q9c and I am impressed. I may get that phone to last a couple of months until I get the 800W. I like the idea of the hard switch for wifi. Palm wasted too much time and money on the foleo (hopefully that is not still on the back burner). Let's remember Engadget is the one that got Palm off it's duff in the first place to give us some feedback. I am glad that Engadget is keeping the pressure on Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Let's remember Engadget is the one that got Palm off it's duff in the first place to give us some feedback. I am glad that Engadget is keeping the pressure on Palm.
    There's actually little evidence to support this though it is certainly the popular urban legend that even Engadget likes to believe.

I think their critique was important but it the decision to "get Palm off their duff" was Elevation Partners and Rubentstein who clearly recognized a mess when he saw it.

The reason the stores are closing, Foleo was canceled and layoffs occurred is because Palm is consolidating and focusing all resources on the next-gen OS--that's a good thing.

Fact is, Palm is changing but it appears that every change they make to improve is met with hostility left and right and a lot of it is just misplaced and wrong, like slamming Palm for possibly ditching the 2.5mm jack, something that HTC did awhile back and even regular flips have done. Meanwhile, all the improvements and features are ignored.

Engadget has never been fond of all things CDMA/Sprint/Palm. They do worship all things GSM/iPhone and it's understandable as they have the cutting edge devices. But Engadget will never be unbiased and that's just a fact.
    You know at the end of the days here is the real question.

What device is an alternative with:

WM6 Pro (Touch Screen)
    Qwerty Bar

Hmmm....

Regards
    graylion
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you, except I'm waiting on Verizon to get the Curve. Just not that excited about the 800w at this point.
    wifi is nice too, I do not think the curve has wifi or does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    wifi is nice too, I do not think the curve has wifi or does it?
    the curve has wifi, a buddy of mine just got it for tmobile... i must say it is a very nice phone
    The CDMA Curve almost certainly will not have wifi. GPS is a much stronger draw considering the EVDO networks of VZW and Sprint.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    I hope the April estimate is wrong. In the "guess the release date" competition I guessed March when most were guessing far earlier. But April? That puts it up against the 3g Iphone release which is going to be really too late. Palm has already lost too many very patient and loyal customers as others have innovated ith new products like the voyager, iphone, etc..This is just too little too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    The CDMA Curve almost certainly will not have wifi. GPS is a much stronger draw considering the EVDO networks of VZW and Sprint.
    yep. wifi is really a non issue for Sprint users...
    I believe the biggest reason for the Treo 800 delay was they fired their wifi team last year and it took them time to get back in gear. But they did this for a feature that really doesn't matter given the carrier they were launching on first. Better to come out with a device with GPS, nice form factor, battery life, resolution etc...to make it competitive with all the new models. I hope Palm's investors have got a CEO search going, cuz this guy has 3-4 HBS case studies going on what not to do in the wireless device market.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    yep. wifi is really a non issue for Sprint users...
    I believe the biggest reason for the Treo 800 delay was they fired their wifi team last year and it took them time to get back in gear. But they did this for a feature that really doesn't matter given the carrier they were launching on first. Better to come out with a device with GPS, nice form factor, battery life, resolution etc...to make it competitive with all the new models. I hope Palm's investors have got a CEO search going, cuz this guy has 3-4 HBS case studies going on what not to do in the wireless device market.
    When I had my Mogul it was exciting at first to have Wifi but then the excitement wore off when free hotspots were few and far in between and when I discovered the phone's processor capped speeds even with my 10 meg cable connection. I used it for a day or two then just turned off the Wifi and never used it for months until I got rid of it, with EVDO being literally everywhere on the Sprint network here in California.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    ...But April? That puts it up against the 3g Iphone release...
    I used to think this as well, but I now think the 3g iPhone will not be out until the 3Q. I think VZW will be releasing the 800w right around the time the 3g iPhone is released.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast