Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi View Post
    Regarding the WiFi vs no WiFi argument: when I had my Mogul....
    Sounds like you had good success with the Mogul - why do you no longer have it?

Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Now that's one of the most interesting uses for WiFi on a CDMA device. Perhaps you already had Skype for other reasons and can't go with GSM+intl roaming, but it seems like Wifi+Skype would get expensive compared with a extra GSM phone with a global sim card (my situation).
    Not sure I follow you - are you saying that a GSM+Int'l roaming phone in Europe is cheaper than WiFi and free Skype? I thought WiFi was fairly available there and was not expensive when it was. Skype is free - well if you are Mogul to PC. When in Japan, Skype was the only way I called home.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Not sure I follow you - are you saying that a GSM+Int'l roaming phone in Europe is cheaper than WiFi and free Skype? I thought WiFi was fairly available there and was not expensive when it was. Skype is free - well if you are Mogul to PC. When in Japan, Skype was the only way I called home.
    Not saying that because I honestly don't know, just curious and hadn't tried that combination before. When I'm traveling, I'm mainly using corporate intranet and hotel WiFi.

Assuming you'd have to pay at every hotspot to get Wifi, I just wondered if that got more expensive than intl roaming. Obviously it would depend on how intl roaming minutes you used and at some point, one outweighs the other. On the other hand, if you have a corporate iPass account, that helps with the wifi cost and mobility.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    My desire would be to initiate a phone call in my home and be able to continue it to the airport, aboard my flight and upon reaching a remote international destination (while the signal automatically and seemlessly transfers from CDMA to Wifi to WiMax and back to GSM).
    I understand the desire, but wouldn't that also remove all excuses for being "not available"?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    I understand the desire, but wouldn't that also remove all excuses for being "not available"?
    Ha ha, LOL. Good one!
    Quote Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
    My desire would be to initiate a phone call in my home and be able to continue it to the airport, aboard my flight and upon reaching a remote international destination (while the signal automatically and seemlessly transfers from CDMA to Wifi to WiMax and back to GSM).
    And that is one hell of a loooong call too!

Is Skype on a mobile phone a legitimate option? I thought that it was speakerphone or wired earpiece-only when using Skype. That would get really old, really fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by nsxprime View Post
    Is Skype on a mobile phone a legitimate option? I thought that it was speakerphone or wired earpiece-only when using Skype. That would get really old, really fast.
    On a lot of WM devices you can route the audio to a BT headset--that works. Not on a 700w Treo though.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Now that's one of the most interesting uses for WiFi on a CDMA device. Perhaps you already had Skype for other reasons and can't go with GSM+intl roaming, but it seems like Wifi+Skype would get expensive compared with a extra GSM phone with a global sim card (my situation).
    Well, not if you're working with free or authorized WiFi. I was part of the sponsorship team for a large event and so had free access to all WiFi networks. It was perfect.

An extra GSM phone is something I've used in the past as well, but that won't interface with my VPN, corporate email, and all the other stuff.
    Tons of issues. The Mogul is a complete mess as a phone, in my experience.

- I didn't like the keyboard at all, and you can't use it one handed no matter what you do.
    - Call quality was by far the worst I've ever had in any phone, ever. People had a very hard time understanding what I said, in any condition (headset, phone, voip, anything)
    - The actual phonecall interface is one of the worst ones I've ever used - there is no on-screen feedbback for anything except the basic call: it will not identify a second caller, it will not indicate if you're on a second call, or in conference, etc. And BTW, you use the same hardware key to switch between all modes, and you never know what mode that is. It's just beyond stupid.
    - Bluetooth headsets sounded way worse than even on my old 650.
    - The ridiculous number of buttons on the device (13) compared ot how useful they actually are.
    - No mute switch like on the Treos. Muting via software didn't really mute everything and I would still get sounds for some alerts (which are also full of bugs)
    - There was also no actual keylock to speak of - the phone would turn itself one whenever it wanted and start doing crazy stuff in my pocket, like repeatedly calling contacts.
    - Battery life is horrendous compared to Treos, and the phone is really stupid when it comes to surviving in a roaming area. The battery won't last more than 6-7 hours in a low signal area, period, and that's turning the screen brightness to 10%, turning off bluetooth and incoming beams. My Treos will last through the day no matter what.
    - Screen is nearly invisible in daylight
    - Low memory make it so you're seeing out of memory errors quite often
    - You have to keep running a bunch of software just to try and make up for all the stupid issues
    - The camera uses a ton of memory for some reason so I'd have to start quitting applications if I wanted to take a photo, which ususally kills the moment.
    - No video drivers make video performance ****-poor for a WM6 device in its class. For example, it will only record video at *one quarter* the resolution of the Treo, and very badly.

That said, WM6 feels like a far superior environment to PalmOS, because it is. Not UI-wise, but definitely on all technical aspects, and going back to PalmOS feels like jumping back a decade.

Other people's experience witht he Mogul hasn't been so negative, but I've also noticed other people will learn to tolerate the craziest things...
    I don't own a Mogul, but one other thing i noticed when I compared it alongside the Treo 755, was that the speaker was Paltry. In both voice calling, and streaming music, the Mogul speaker was barely audible at full-blast. Further, the quality of the speaker was tinny and small, compared to the Treo speaker.

- I didn't like the keyboard at all, and you can't use it one handed no matter what you do.
    - Call quality was by far the worst I've ever had in any phone, ever. People had a very hard time understanding what I said, in any condition (headset, phone, voip, anything)
    - The actual phonecall interface is one of the worst ones I've ever used - there is no on-screen feedbback for anything except the basic call: it will not identify a second caller, it will not indicate if you're on a second call, or in conference, etc. And BTW, you use the same hardware key to switch between all modes, and you never know what mode that is. It's just beyond stupid.
    - Bluetooth headsets sounded way worse than even on my old 650.
    - The ridiculous number of buttons on the device (13) compared ot how useful they actually are.
    - No mute switch like on the Treos. Muting via software didn't really mute everything and I would still get sounds for some alerts (which are also full of bugs)
    - There was also no actual keylock to speak of - the phone would turn itself one whenever it wanted and start doing crazy stuff in my pocket, like repeatedly calling contacts.
    - Battery life is horrendous compared to Treos, and the phone is really stupid when it comes to surviving in a roaming area. The battery won't last more than 6-7 hours in a low signal area, period, and that's turning the screen brightness to 10%, turning off bluetooth and incoming beams. My Treos will last through the day no matter what.
    - Screen is nearly invisible in daylight
    - Low memory make it so you're seeing out of memory errors quite often
    - You have to keep running a bunch of software just to try and make up for all the stupid issues
    - The camera uses a ton of memory for some reason so I'd have to start quitting applications if I wanted to take a photo, which ususally kills the moment.
    - No video drivers make video performance ****-poor for a WM6 device in its class. For example, it will only record video at *one quarter* the resolution of the Treo, and very badly.

That said, WM6 feels like a far superior environment to PalmOS, because it is. Not UI-wise, but definitely on all technical aspects, and going back to PalmOS feels like jumping back a decade.

Other people's experience witht he Mogul hasn't been so negative, but I've also noticed other people will learn to tolerate the craziest things...
    Nice summary. That's exactly what I found with my Mogul. I really wanted to love the phone because I like the larger screen size and the "geek factor" of WM6, but the Mogul is probably the single worst phone that I've ever used. Hack after hack after hack and still buggy with worthless BT.

The one good thing is that all of the problems (outside of form factor issues for some people) seem to be software related. The phone radio software, the BT software, phone app software, WM6, etc should all be fixable by HTC and Sprint. In theory.
    It really seems to be night or day with the Mogul on call QUALITY. Some say it is great, better than the Treo or the Q or whatever, others hate it. But it was the same with the Treo and the Q when I was shopping for each of those devices. I guess it is really up to me as to whether the Mogul call quality is enough good or not.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I been using the Mogul for 3 days now. It seems to be OK with me.

I call my dad (74 yrs old) just now, put it on speakerphone and thru the phone, he say its fine and can hear me.

I pair with bluetooth and I hear some minor static noise.

Agile Messenger runs great on it. Pdanet runs great too.

Run Skype Beta on it too! I call my uncle in Canada thru data and there are static on it.

Battery life is great! This battery is hugh.

I will be selling my Q and x51V next week.

WM6 is so much better than WM5.

I want the Treo 755w with WM6 on it for Sprint, but where is it???
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    That mirrors my experience with the HTC TyTN (older, GSM, same form factor). It only lasted 3 weeks, as I missed my old Treo 600!

I'm currently using a Nokia E61, but I'm thinking about moving to a WM6 Treo 750 if there is not going to be an 800 anytime soon.
    Last edited by Stig; 08/27/2007 at 06:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Everyone is so confident that the 800w actually has its on sub-forum now.

Are you sure ???

Will it have mini USB port on the phone?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ok its Q1..where is it??
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    ok its Q1..where is it??

It isn't Q1 EVERYWHERE ... YET.

Itll be out in a half hour when it is.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Be patient, it is only a few hours into 2008, we might have to wait until March 31st to get it.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Will it have the mini USB port?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast