Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 206
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    If I get the Mogul now, then it will be expensive when the new 800w comes out at Sprint because no discount in the middle of your contract.

    I dont know what to do.
    I always say - "A Mogul in the hand is worth two 800w's in the rumor mill".

    I faced the same thing early last year - buy a T650 or wait for the 700p. I bought the 650 and was glad I did! You might be able to sell the Mogul for a good price and get a 800 when they arrive - or it might worth it to sit on the sidelines for 6 months after the 800 arrives to see what needs to be fixed!

    Personally - I am about done with WM anyway - 8830 is in my future.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Huh? It was easy for him to be accurate in July since the Mogul was released in June!
    It was released in July by Sprint to retail stores nationwide to the public. And he posted in early June.
  3. #23  
    Sigh. I was hoping it would be sooner than that. I can't wait to leave PalmOS behind already. Why won't Sprint just refresh in the meantime with a CDMA version of the 750v? I would swap my 755P for that in a second.
  4. #24  
    I think what we are all anxious for is the fact that even if it is coming in q1 08 then atleast tell us will the form factor be thinner and better and what kind of features, and this way it makes tons of business sense to keep your customers versus how many people have we read about that are ready to leave? I dont understand how palm conducts business AT ALL....how can they let so many customers down....do a teaser like the iphone did ...do something
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    I think what we are all anxious for is the fact that even if it is coming in q1 08 then atleast tell us will the form factor be thinner and better and what kind of features, and this way it makes tons of business sense to keep your customers versus how many people have we read about that are ready to leave? I dont understand how palm conducts business AT ALL....how can they let so many customers down....do a teaser like the iphone did ...do something
    Sprint usually sets the timetable for a device to be refreshed/replaced. 24 months is pretty standard for them. Remember, Sprint is the one who orders them and decides what information Palm can tell us. So Palm may want to share with you the details but they are bound by contract not to.

    I'm not sure why people keep forgetting that Palm, just like every OEM, is a contracted 3rd party. Sprint pays Palm's bills.

    Had Sprint wanted a CDMA 750 WM Treo, they could have easily ordered one. They didn't so you don't get a choice.

    Anyways, if my 700wx wasn't still working as perfectly as before this Q1 date might bother me, luckily I can easily go another 6 months.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  6. #26  
    I got a hunch that this is the unit that is being beta tested by some tight lipped (but peeing in their pants) TC'ers.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm not sure why people keep forgetting that Palm, just like every OEM, is a contracted 3rd party. Sprint pays Palm's bills. Had Sprint wanted a CDMA 750 WM Treo, they could have easily ordered one.
    You are absolutely right.

    Palm's "Customers" are the wireless carriers. Palm doesn't care if the wireless carriers throw their Treos in the trash, as long as the sale is booked. The end-user is insignificant. The reason why there is no GPS on a Treo, is not because it is not possible (just look at HTC, Eten etc), but because it would interfere with Sprint's $9.99/month cell-tower triangulation location service. Similarly with Wi-Fi and other features.

    From Palm's May 31, 2007 Annual Report, what Palm calls their 4 largest "Customers" (note: end-users are not considered customers):

    Sprint = 24%
    Verizon = 18%
    AT&T/Cingular = 14%
    Ingram Micro = 6% (Ingram is a wholesale distributor)

    So, the U.S. accounts for 62% of Palm's sales. The remaining 38% of sales must be international carriers & distributors. Interestingly, Sprint/Verizon/AT&T represent 56% of Palm's revenues. Those 3 companies dictate to Palm what they want. The end-user is meaningless.
  8. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #28  
    Whatever it is, I actually want a Palm WM6 at Sprint.

    But whatever it is, I cant wait because at VZW now, I am getting unlimited data and 0 minute plan for $40 and my 1 yr is over.

    So I order me a Mogul today at Sprint and get on the Sero plan for 500 mins and unlimited data for $30.

    So Treo is slow? Maybe Sprint is not asking Treo to ship the 750w to them.

    I actually want to stay with Palm because its USA. This HTC is Taiwan. Shame.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Whatever it is, I actually want a Palm WM6 at Sprint.

    But whatever it is, I cant wait because at VZW now, I am getting unlimited data and 0 minute plan for $40 and my 1 yr is over.

    So I order me a Mogul today at Sprint and get on the Sero plan for 500 mins and unlimited data for $30.

    So Treo is slow? Maybe Sprint is not asking Treo to ship the 750w to them.

    I actually want to stay with Palm because its USA. This HTC is Taiwan. Shame.
    The important thing is you locked in the SERO plan. Just sell the Mogul when the 800w comes out if you still want it then--it'll hold its value. The cost difference should be around $250 max, which isn't great but not horrible either.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10. #30  
    Q1 2008 for an updated Palm is pretty much a new low for the company. It will continue to lose edge and share if it waits that long. Even if it comes out with a a device with better screens, software and things like gps integrated, by then people will already have bought devices with those features from competitors that have those features right now (like HTC).
    Instead we get what? the folio. Wow--talk about the worst tech management since Nortel in 2001.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    ...I actually want to stay with Palm because its USA. This HTC is Taiwan. Shame.
    All Palm's products are made in Tapei.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Q1 2008 for an updated Palm is pretty much a new low for the company. It will continue to lose edge and share if it waits that long. Even if it comes out with a a device with better screens, software and things like gps integrated, by then people will already have bought devices with those features from competitors that have those features right now (like HTC).
    Instead we get what? the folio. Wow--talk about the worst tech management since Nortel in 2001.
    Well, you could also think of it is this way:

    The iPhone doesn't have 3g for two reasons: the network is not widely available yet (sort of lame argument, since there are 3g AT&T devices) and (2) Jobs said that the current 3g chips get awful battery life and the ones they wants aren't ready yet (this is actually true)

    Part of developing a device is knowing what you want it to and what specs you want it to meet or exceed. Sometimes you want to put a chip or system in that is (a) not fully ready (b) not able to be mass produced in the numbers you need it for full production.

    I'm not saying I know that to be the case but it very well could be. I would hope Palm is going "all out" on this device and sometimes your 3rd party contractors are not ready yet.

    Also, taking the wild assumption about a Wimax Treo and saying it's true, Sprint will not want to roll out any devices till that network is up and running in at least a handful of cities. That is not predicted to be the case till early 2008.

    I'm just throwing this out there in consideration of the bigger picture. While not necessarily true, I sort of doubt it's Palm just dragging their feet, though who really knows at this point.

    I also don't see any amazing new devices coming to Sprint. The Touch is okay, but it'll only work with TeleNav (whoopee do). The Mogul is already there and outdated on Sprint. Another Moto Q rehash (talk about incremental upgrades) and a WM world phone/Black Jack. I think Sprint is hedging their bets now till Wimax rolls out--then you'll see some crazy things happening (hopefully).

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  13. #33  
    As long as they release a device that far exceeds the 700wx then I will be happy. I would hate to see Palm release another crippled WM device like they did with the 700w.
  14. #34  
    I wonder if VZW will get it around the same time or even earlier that Sprint, like the 700w?
  15. #35  
    That's a good response. But it's hard to beleive I device I bought years ago has no possibility of being improved at this point?

    Aside from GPS the only thing I care about is better resolution and improved processing power and I'd buy it. The iphone is basically like a portable mac I don't need it to do all that stuff at this point. Just something incremental.
    Wimax and wifi really are duplicative for too many users to be a game changer --at least not for 2-3 years. They need to save market share now--2-3 years from now Palm won't be in business to worry about wimax if they don't introduce new products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Well, you could also think of it is this way:

    The iPhone doesn't have 3g for two reasons: the network is not widely available yet (sort of lame argument, since there are 3g AT&T devices) and (2) Jobs said that the current 3g chips get awful battery life and the ones they wants aren't ready yet (this is actually true)

    Part of developing a device is knowing what you want it to and what specs you want it to meet or exceed. Sometimes you want to put a chip or system in that is (a) not fully ready (b) not able to be mass produced in the numbers you need it for full production.

    I'm not saying I know that to be the case but it very well could be. I would hope Palm is going "all out" on this device and sometimes your 3rd party contractors are not ready yet.

    Also, taking the wild assumption about a Wimax Treo and saying it's true, Sprint will not want to roll out any devices till that network is up and running in at least a handful of cities. That is not predicted to be the case till early 2008.

    I'm just throwing this out there in consideration of the bigger picture. While not necessarily true, I sort of doubt it's Palm just dragging their feet, though who really knows at this point.

    I also don't see any amazing new devices coming to Sprint. The Touch is okay, but it'll only work with TeleNav (whoopee do). The Mogul is already there and outdated on Sprint. Another Moto Q rehash (talk about incremental upgrades) and a WM world phone/Black Jack. I think Sprint is hedging their bets now till Wimax rolls out--then you'll see some crazy things happening (hopefully).
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    ...I don't need it to do all that stuff at this point. Just something incremental.
    Wimax and wifi really are duplicative for too many users to be a game changer --at least not for 2-3 years.
    But incremental updates is exactly what Engadget wrote about yesterday and slamming Palm for and I'd say the overwhelming majority agreed. Virtually no one here wants incremental updates, they want something fresh. I basically agree with you but many others don't.

    Wifi vs 3g is not a game change. Wimax is with 10mbps downloads (conservatively; it can theoretically hit 70mbps) which means you can readily trade whole videos with people and finally get real internet speeds. It'll be pretty huge.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  17. #37  
    I am saying incremental updates 2-3 months ago that should have happened already or put it out now not in 2008. 2008 is way too late. Plenty of other devices are already on the market that do more than what palm wants to do in 2008.

    It really is the worst management since Nortel in 2001. Putting their resources into Folio pretty much guaranteed they'd fall behind in their bread and budder which is the Treo.

    And Wimax may be a game changer but since there Wimax isn't deployed now who cares? People just want the bascis that people like HTC and Apple have introduced in a Treo. They have not done any major changes in 2 years. Take some of the innvoation done by those companies--stop worrying about wifi and wimax and just put a device out there with some decent upgrades.

    Oh an my definition of incremental is
    1) Improved processor power including mulitasking with the same or better battery life
    2) Screen resolution and size
    3) Integrated GPS

    Including those changes now--you'd get a majority of users buying the new one. Which is the goal as opposed to buying crappy folios
    Last edited by gadgetfreaky; 08/22/2007 at 11:46 AM.
  18. #38  
    Im split between dumping the 700wx and getting the Mogul, or waiting patiently for the 800w. At this point in time I am leaning in favor of waiting simple because the 700wx has been such a great phone.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I am saying incremental updates 2-3 months ago that should have happened already or put it out now not in 2008. 2008 is way too late. Plenty of other devices are already on the market that do more than what palm wants to do in 2008.

    It really is the worst management since Nortel in 2001. Putting their resources into Folio pretty much guaranteed they'd fall behind in their bread and budder which is the Treo.

    And Wimax may be a game changer but since there Wimax isn't deployed now who cares? People just want the bascis that people like HTC and Apple have introduced in a Treo. They have not done any major changes in 2 years. Take some of the innvoation done by those companies--stop worrying about wifi and wimax and just put a device out there with some decent upgrades.

    Oh an my definition of incremental is
    1) Improved processor power including mulitasking with the same or better battery life
    2) Screen resolution and size
    3) Integrated GPS

    Including those changes now--you'd get a majority of users buying the new one. Which is the goal as opposed to buying crappy folios
    Like I said, I understand I where you are coming from.

    But as I've previously mentioned, Palm cannot just release a device whenever they feel like it. They are contracted by Sprint to deliver a device in a specific time-frame (pending their approval/testing and FCC clearance; a 3-6 month process in total).

    If Sprint contracted them to make a Wimax device, they that's what they make. Palm really has no say in the matter when it comes to CDMA (GSM is more open, so they have some flexibility), they make what they are able and allowed to.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #40  
    That assumes two things though right?
    1) That sprint doesn't want an updated phone to compete with the iphone. A lot of the features I am asking for would make the treo a lot more competive with the iphone. Why would sprint want to prevent that?
    2) Even if it's all sprints fault. You guys assume Sprint is the only carrier that carriers Palm devices. T-mobile, Verizon, and ATT can carry treos also.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions