1.    #1  
    I've been behind the times a bit technologically for the past couple of years, but a holiday bonus handed out in the form of a visa gift card persuaded me to take a bit of an electronics shopping spree this weekend.

I'm a Big Ten basketball fan, and I have DirecTV with the Big Ten network at home, but not everyone has access to this channel when I am travelling. I know that they have been around for a couple of years, but I bought a slingbox.

After getting it installed and running - it accepts input from my DirecTV DVR, and has a small LED led that runs out to be positioned in front of the DVR's IR port for remote control - I downloaded the Mobile Slingviewer for PPC and installed it on my 750.

Wow. I am extremely impressed. I just popped on my Jabra bluetooth stereo headset and watched a couple of hours of stuff I DVRed last week and hadn't gotten around to watching yet while I was sitting in the airport waiting for a late flight. The only problem I had was from the 20 (at least) people who kept walking over and seeing that I was watching TV and asking me how the heck I was doing that. I can completely control and watch anything on live TV or on the DVR remotely - from my laptop which now has slingviewer installed, or on my 750!

This is definitely my new killer application of the year (so far).
    First of all you are an insane hoops fan if you are watching replays of games that you already know the score for--but that is another issue....

What did all of this cost (slingbox, software for home pc as well as Treo)?

Which slingbox did you get? Will it work with the most basic slingbox because if you are watching on your Treo it is clearly not in HD...

How was the battery life? Were you getting a HSDPA or basic 3G (UMTS) signal?

Thanks and enjoy the basketball.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsol View Post
    First of all you are an insane hoops fan if you are watching replays of games that you already know the score for--but that is another issue....

What did all of this cost (slingbox, software for home pc as well as Treo)?

Which slingbox did you get? Will it work with the most basic slingbox because if you are watching on your Treo it is clearly not in HD...

How was the battery life? Were you getting a HSDPA or basic 3G (UMTS) signal?

Thanks and enjoy the basketball.
    The most basic slingbox (AV) because no need for HD on a mobile device as you mentioned. 129.00 is the list price. Mine was had from an open box table at Circuit City for 85.00.

Software for the home PC is free - comes with the slingbox, or can be downloaded.

Sling mobile (for the treo) has a price tag - 29 bucks I think - I'm still on my 30 day free trial. Will definitely pay for it.

Watched for about 3 hours today. Drained half the battery. I don't really notice because I have a battery extender and a car charger - I can top off regularly.

Unfortunately I'm not in a 3G area - network isn't built to here yet, so I'm betting it will work even better when I travel in a major metro area. Performance was reasonable over a standard EDGE connection - although there are occasional pauses to rebuffer.

It won't be my primary way to watch TV, but it will sure come in handy from the road.
    The Slingbox is killer, I've had mine since June '07. I have the AV model as well and the SlingPlayer for the PocketPC which I run on my Treo 750. You will also need a way to connect your slingbox to the internet such as a wireless router. The way I have mine set up is in the living room, I have the sling box, wireless router and cable box all connected and I installed a wireless network card in my CPU, every thing works great. You can buy a Slinglink if your configuration is different.

When initially logging on I will see the H for hsdpa then once the slingplayer is loaded, you no longer see the icons. The action is very smooth and clear, it is difficult to read text such as if you are watching a football game and trying to read the score. Also, you need to remain relatively stationary; otherwise it keeps trying to optimize the connection as your location changes. So, driving around in a car trying to watch it will cause freezes now and then. If you walk around in a general area it will be fine as long as you have decent signal strength.

It came in real handy a few weeks ago when I went to Kansas for Christmas. We were stuck on the tarmac after landing for an hour and a half because no one wanted to move the empty planes from the gates as it would have been a pain to move it in the snow. So, there I was.. just sitting there... irritated. Then it occurred to me that the Cowboys game had just started so I grabbed my Treo and fired up the slingplayer. My dad and I kicked back and watched some football, it really helped to pass the time. I have also gotten quite a few questions from others when I fire it up. The husbands are usually "that is the coolest thing I have ever seen" and the wives just give me a dirty look when I tell them what all equipment they need.

The nice thing about the slingbox is you don't have to leave your computer on, I believe you do with the ORB.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    The Slingbox is killer, I've had mine since June '07. I have the AV model as well and the SlingPlayer for the PocketPC which I run on my Treo 750. You will also need a way to connect your slingbox to the internet such as a wireless router. The way I have mine set up is in the living room, I have the sling box, wireless router and cable box all connected and I installed a wireless network card in my CPU, every thing works great. You can buy a Slinglink if your configuration is different.

When initially logging on I will see the H for hsdpa then once the slingplayer is loaded, you no longer see the icons. The action is very smooth and clear, it is difficult to read text such as if you are watching a football game and trying to read the score. Also, you need to remain relatively stationary; otherwise it keeps trying to optimize the connection as your location changes. So, driving around in a car trying to watch it will cause freezes now and then. If you walk around in a general area it will be fine as long as you have decent signal strength.

It came in real handy a few weeks ago when I went to Kansas for Christmas. We were stuck on the tarmac after landing for an hour and a half because no one wanted to move the empty planes from the gates as it would have been a pain to move it in the snow. So, there I was.. just sitting there... irritated. Then it occurred to me that the Cowboys game had just started so I grabbed my Treo and fired up the slingplayer. My dad and I kicked back and watched some football, it really helped to pass the time. I have also gotten quite a few questions from others when I fire it up. The husbands are usually "that is the coolest thing I have ever seen" and the wives just give me a dirty look when I tell them what all equipment they need.

The nice thing about the slingbox is you don't have to leave your computer on, I believe you do with the ORB.
    My wireless router is on a DSL line and my TV is through DirecTV. The DVR that my Slingbox is connected to is in a different room from the router and I didn't want to spend 80 bucks on a slinglink. I used a $20.00 linksys wireless game adaptor to connect my slingbox to my network. Works just fine. A wireless bridge (or an access point running in bridge mode) would work as well. I am really using this a lot, but I'm still getting a lot of people asking me how the heck I'm doing that.

It was fun to make our office apple/iPhone geek cry too.
    I considered getting an iPhone but once I found out the Slingplayer wouldn't work on it, that was the final straw. I did chat with a rep at Slingmedia and supposedly they are in talks with Apple about getting a partnership setup to develop software for the iPhone but considering how Jobs is, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    AT&T Treo 750 Locked official WM6 update