Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Sprint is now in trouble. Stock price has tumbled by 25%, customers are leaving in droves, many stores being shut down. See http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/19/te...gy&oref=slogin (hope the link works). Maybe they put the last of their money into the 800w????? IF Sprint gets the 800w first, then VZW will get it 3 months later. What bothers me is: the first person who held the 800w in his hand said it had a VZW logo on it. Yet why is everyone believing that Sprint will get it first? Whatever; but it is sad; what with Sprint's partial collapse, I doubt people will jump on to Sprint just to get an 800w (well, would you? ). If Sprint gets it first, Palm will severely regret it.

Anyone who has waited this long will likely wait; no matter what carrier. No Treo before this had GPS built-in. Or Wi-Fi. Or gobs of memory. Indeed, I' willing to bet that Palm stock, selling at five bucks right now, after a precipitous drop in November and a steady decline after that, will rise to the $10 range once the 800w is released. I will wait for the first upgrade from "sell" to anything better, by analysts to buy some Palm stock. I've had a Palm in my hand or pocket at work as a doctor for years now, and I just can't see Palm as a company disappearing. With Linux in hand, and now opening up manufacturing to HTC, http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...re-odm-orders/ I see a (distant) bright future for Palm. An operating system that can run all Palm programs, (ensuring Palm users to buy)and far more stable and reliable than WinMo, ought to do well. Look forward to comments. My own answer to the question on the name of the thread is: yes.
    Roger
    Despite the Treo 800w being well specified we dont really know how well it wil do in the market. Expectations have been raised for the consumer experience, and it seems everyone wants a touchy-feely device. Alse despite this being a revolutionary device for Palm its only really catching up to the market, not setting the pace.

I hope Palm finds some magic sauce to add to the 800w, like HTC did to the HTC Touch, to make it a more compeling device for the wider market, not just dedicated business users, but I doubt they have the resources at present to pull it off.

Surur
    I think the Centro is doing alot to bring new users to Palm, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    What bothers me is: the first person who held the 800w in his hand said it had a VZW logo on it. Yet why is everyone believing that Sprint will get it first?
    Because we saw a picture of it on Sprint's roadmap that said Q4 and there has been no real compelling evidence about Verizon's plan--coupled with Verizon's consistently delayed releases on major devices (6800, 5800, i607, 755), no one expects much of anything from them in regards to product deadlines...

800w is first and foremost an Enterprise device. That is what WM is geared for, that is what Palm's high-end WM line is for, so to be "successful" it needs to be accepted an ordered by companies, enterprise and high level corp-types. It is not a mainstream consumer device, so it won't compete with all the flashy media-devices out there.

No single device will determine Palm's future--they are about spreading it out now: low-end Garnet (Centro), low-level WM (500v), high-end/ultra tier (800w, 850w). Of course, a successful release and product execution for "Nova" will determine their future, but that is a separate question.

Will it "help Palm survive"? Well, if it turns a profit and sells well, then yes. But that applies to any company: profit is profit.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    In short, the 800w needs to compete with Blackberry. It would be great news for Palm if there was some evidence of erosion in RIMM's market share in enterprise. Maybe with WM6.1 and better mobile device management that will be possible this year.

Surur
    Unless the device has some surprise or revolutionary features, it probably won't be enough to give Palm the edge back again. Rimm has the corporate market pretty under its thumb and Apple is taking a lot of share with the Iphone. I would bet most of those Sprint customers went to ATT--at least 60%. Sprint really had the early edge on data and having devices to take advantage of it but the lack of innovation of the management of Palm has really hurt them also. You've had too many devices come out in both segment such as the LG Voyager in consumer and the Rimm models for business really make a "must have" device for Palm very difficult to pull off at this point. Even Rimm is getting into the consumer market which used to be pretty well dominated by Palm Treo. I think I've said on these boards I think Palm management has dropped the ball and the only way out is a new CEO with an agressive product launch plan.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    Unless the device has some surprise or revolutionary features, it probably won't be enough to give Palm the edge back again.........
    Agreed, its only bare survival right now. But once phones come out with the new Nova OS, who knows! As a physician, I don't want a blackberry because Epocrates won't run on it...(the basic version does but not the full). Epocrates is ***the*** reason most physicians use their Palms. I once bought a Compaq ipaq, but the battery life (without even a phone) was a complete joke...not even the whole of one day, whereas with similar usage my T3 goes 3-4 days. The old T3 still does good; however, if I put a WiFi card in it, the battery is gone is 20 minutes. So that was a useless purchase.
    I'm planning to keep an eye on Palm stock. Afraid to buy right now.
    Roger
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Because we saw a picture of it on Sprint's roadmap that said Q4 and there has been no real compelling evidence about Verizon's plan--coupled with Verizon's consistently delayed releases on major devices (6800, 5800, i607, 755), no one expects much of anything from them in regards to product deadlines...
    OK Doke. Though as I mentioned above, the timing could not be worse for the 800w to be released...with Sprint of all carriers!

800w is first and foremost an Enterprise device. That is what WM is geared for, that is what Palm's high-end WM line is for, so to be "successful" it needs to be accepted an ordered by companies, enterprise and high level corp-types. It is not a mainstream consumer device, so it won't compete with all the flashy media-devices out there.
    There must be hundreds of thousands of physicians out there with their Palms. My daughter, also a physician, carries a TX. Its very likely these people will consider Treos as their Tungstens die out. (the alarm clock on my T3 does not work anymore) They simply just trust the Palm name. I would have considered the 755p, but without built-in GPS or VZ Nav., no way. So I plan to purchase the 800w when it comes out, even if it takes months.

Roger
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I sure want Palm to come back. After all, its a USA company.

I dont like HTC that much. I am using a Mogul now.

In fact, I actually want to get any Treo phone(on WM) without the antenna and I do not like to use ATT.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    I see a (distant) bright future for Palm. An operating system that can run all Palm programs, (ensuring Palm users to buy)and far more stable and reliable than WinMo, ought to do well.
    That would be the real trick woulden't it? This next generation O/S is already at least 4 years overdue. 4 years ago the WM OS did have significant issues- it doesnt anymore. Palm trying to jump back in and compete in the OS game to me seems like a mistake. You essentially need a full fledged PC like OS. Way too much for Palm to pull off IMO.

Also- regardless of what Sprint is or is not doing they are Palms largest customer and have been for quite a while.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber View Post

Also- regardless of what Sprint is or is not doing they are Palms largest customer and have been for quite a while.

-Rob
    And the relative health of each company is eerily similar!
    No question- but it shoulden't be a "shocking" unexplainable event if Sprint gets the 800 first.

Sprint simply needs to focus on transitioning Nextel subscribers to CDMA. This has been the disaster for them. They have lost far too many of those single line Nextel accounts that billed out $75/mo. Once the transition is done you can resume WiMax, sell IDEN and all of the sudden you are sitting pretty from a network perspective and you have your best ever quarter behind you.

This is a rich company in many ways, and they are prepared to do battle.

Im not worried at all.

-Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I like Sprint. Their SERO plan is just plain unbelievable! Its like a buffet.

Unlimited text, data, etc etc

I want Sprint to survive! I dont like AT&T. They have the most expensive plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I like Sprint. Their SERO plan is just plain unbelievable! Its like a buffet.

Unlimited text, data, etc etc

I want Sprint to survive! I dont like AT&T. They have the most expensive plan.
    I have sero as well... love it.

But I think that may be part of Sprint's problem. Giving away everything... then having those same people brag about calling more than five times a day trying to get more discounts... that throws support off. Of course, those same people then complain of "bad support." lol...

But sprint holds blame as well. You can't give away everything and expect to have the funds to compete with att and verizon.

On the op's question, I don't see how the 800w can help palm survive. Heck, I want one, but the 700wx is such a good device, I don't know if I will upgrade. I don't need wifi, I get free internet so I don't need wifi. GPS? I have a portable one in the car already that I picked up for $109 at newegg, don't need one of those. HTML email, I don't use that in regular email, only text.

About the only thing that could make me upgrade is my 700wx kicking the bucket. Or if the 800w gets better reception, which I doubt.

I'd love some "killer apps" included for free, that would do it for me. Gear the thing for small business and they might have a winner. Stuff like keeping car mileage, quicken sync, ewallet, etc, etc... Apple gets it... look at the new apps being introduced on the iphone.

Hell, I can't even get weather on my 700wx easily unless I set it up... even then, I can't get it to work reliably, I removed all the apps I tested. That is why the iphone is going great... stuff works and they provide the apps that people need in the box, instead of going through tons of forums and working out hacks and trying to find something that works and does not lock up the device.

Basic included apps are essential when going after a target market... but MS says it does not include apps so that developers will make money on developing good apps for their products. I understand that... but some things should be included... it makes sense.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I think the upgrade in screen resolution alone is worth it. This 240x240 crap is a disaster.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    About the only thing that could make me upgrade is my 700wx kicking the bucket. Or if the 800w gets better reception, which I doubt.

I'd love some "killer apps" included for free, that would do it for me. Gear the thing for small business and they might have a winner.
    It will probably have better reception. With all the newer chipsets that is the general direction things are going. My Centro gets better reception than my 700wx, so there you go.

Re: apps, that is also the trend: include stuff out of the box. Centro is packed with apps, like pTunes Deluxe which is a $40 app and Docs2Go ($50), which are some hefty programs.

Remember, Palm made a deal with Opera in mid 2007--though it is unclear if they meant for Nova devices or WM devices or both. But it is not uncommon to find Opera in lieu of PIE on devices these days.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    Palm will survive as long as it serves both GSM/CDMA customers and windows/palm customers. Big markets to tap in, htc cant beat palm's simplicity.
    Look, off all the carriers out there, Sprint is MY preferred carrier of choice, plus i've been with them since 1999, same number too, all the way through different states i've lived in.

I choose to stay with Sprint for several reasons paramount of which is $15 EVDO which no other carrier comes close to. Verizon can have all the coverage from here to the moon but there's no way in hell i'm paying $40 (or more) for data on a PDA phone when it can be had for $15. Plus, don't get me started on the iPhone and AT&T.

Any new Treo on Sprint will definitely help them out if they would only get a much better marketing department to promote their much cheaper EVDO service in comparison to other carriers. Plus they need to revamp their website. You almost cannot find their data plans for phones only data cards.

Customer service is another issue. Me personally i never call customer service for most things because i can either resolve them on my own or go online to fix it, but in general most complaints are about their terrible track record in that regard. The few times i have called in it was a disaster. Either the people are the very low levels of C.S have hearing problems or comprehension-deficient syndrome, some of them.

Anyway, i like Sprint a damm lot and want them to survive.

*With their stock price being so hammered, it might be a good time to keep an eye on that. Things can only get better from hereon...
    Last edited by Merovingian; 01/27/2008 at 07:03 PM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
    Palm will survive as long as it serves both GSM/CDMA customers and windows/palm customers. Big markets to tap in, htc cant beat palm's simplicity.
    Im not sure what this means... both Palm and HTC sport WM6 devices (well in Palm's case, maybe). PalmOS is a dying animal.