Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Greetings fellow Treo-nians,
    I have a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile 6 and I'm trying to get it to connect to my Toshiba U305 which is running Vista. I've downloaded the Windows Mobile Device Center and I'm able to sync by cable, but I've scoured Microsofts website and can't find good instructions for setting up my Treo to sync via Bluetooth.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Vancouver, BC
    Not being a Windoz Mobile user, have you paired the Treo and your desktop? I am able to help you with a 700/Centro to a PC & Mac, but not a Treo 750. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by yeravgjoe View Post
    Greetings fellow Treo-nians,
    I have a Treo 750 running Windows Mobile 6 and I'm trying to get it to connect to my Toshiba U305 which is running Vista. I've downloaded the Windows Mobile Device Center and I'm able to sync by cable, but I've scoured Microsofts website and can't find good instructions for setting up my Treo to sync via Bluetooth.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I don't know if it is possible. I was trying to help a colleague do the same with his imate JasJam last week (WM6, Vista) and just could not get it to work. I wonder if it is possible at all?
    It is possible. I do sync with Bluetooth on Vista.

1. On your PC, go to Control Panel. Open Bluetooth Settings. Goto the Options tab, and make sure all the checkboxes are checked.
    2. On your Treo, goto Settings->Connections, then open Bluetooth.
    3. On Treo, select Add new device...
    4. The Treo will hunt for available devices... What you are looking for is your computer to show up in what it finds.

Here is the catch: Sometimes the Treo will find the computer, sometimes not, depending on where the Treo is physically located in relationship to the computer. You need to move the Treo around the room a bit and hit the Refresh button on the Treo a few times, until it finds the computer and the computer shows up in the list. This can be a bit frustrating... hang in there... it may take 5-10 times and locations for the Treo to discover the computer.

5. Once the Treo finds the computer, select it from the list and select Next.

6. You should see a notification on your computer that the Treo is trying to connect with it.

7. At this point, you will need to set up a passcode to allow the Treo and computer to find each other again in the future. You can set this up on your computer and match it on the Treo or vice versa. Important thing is that the code is the same on both.

8. After the passcode has been entered on both the Treo and computer, the Bluetooth stuff should be set. You can turn off Bluetooth device discovery on the Options tab on your PC if you want to.

9. To do an Activesync, initiate it from your Treo: Programs->ActiveSync, then select Connect via Bluetooth from the right softkey menu. If that option is grayed out, then you did not get the Bluetooth set up right.

Hope this helps... some of the above was from memory, so if you have problems, do a shout back, and I will see what I can do.

PM
  5.    #5  
    I'm in good shape until step 9. Vista uses something called the Windows Mobile Device Center on my laptop instead of ActiveSync, even though I still have ActiveSync on my WM6 phone.

How do I kick off a synchronization over Bluetooth on the phone?

Is there a service on the laptop (like Wireless Stereo and Serial Port) that I need to setup on my laptop in order for my Treo 750 to sync with the laptop?

Thanks,
    -Steve
    Remember that I am running Vista, also. On Vista, Windows Mobile Device Center is the new Activesync app. (New name, a few more bells and whistles, but same app.) However, the Activesync I mention above is actually the phone's Activesync app, not the computer's app.

You can initiate the sync from the phone's Activesync app--I do this all the time. If you followed my instructions carefully, you should be able to run the phone's Activesync app, and initiate the sync from it. Look on the phones' Activesync menu for the "Connect via Bluetooth" option I mentioned above.

PM
    I think you have to be running WM6.1 to be compatible with WMDC.

As far as setting up bluetooth sync, there is one important step. Open up your bluetooth properties. You'll need to add a serial service (exact method to do this depends on your BT drivers.) When you do, it will assign a com port like COM4 or COM6 or something.

Now go into activesync's connection settings on the PC. Check "allow connections to one of the following" and select the newly created com port in the drop down list.

Now when you pair with your PC, it will list "ActiveSync" as one of the services. Check the box next to ActiveSync.

That's it. To connect, open ActiveSync on the Treo and from the menu choose "Connect via Bluetooth".

Oh yeah, when you're done syncing, make sure you disconnect from the activesync menu on the treo or it will hold the BT connection open indefinitely.

Note: Occasionally after a reboot my laptop loses the serial port and I have to re-add it in the bluetooth settings. May just be a Dell thing, but if it suddenly stops working, check your bluetooth settings and make sure the serial service is still active.
    Last edited by fastlerner; 01/17/2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    I have WM6 and Vista, and everything works fine with syncing with bluetooth. I also never set up a BT COM port...

PM
    Oops, my bad. Those are XP instructions for ActiveSync, not Vista/WMDC.

10.    #10  
    So should I upgrade to WM6.1? When looking at WMDC on my laptop, it includes "Bluetooth" in the list of COM ports. My Toshiba U305 has bluetooth built-in from the factory, so I haven't changed it. Should I specify a particular port in that dialog box? Then do I need to tell ActiveSync which COM port on my Treo750?

I think I tried something similar and got the "Cannot find an existing partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync" error on the Treo, even though I had already paired with my Toshiba, and could send files back and forth between the Treo and Toshiba.

Is there a WMDC service on my Toshiba that I should turn on from within Vista?

WM6.1 has not been released for the 750. Heck, we just got WM6. You can infer from various press releases that 6.1 may be out later this year for the 750. Who knows for sure.

If you're asking about upgrading to WM6 though, I give it a big thumbs up.

12.    #12  
    I have WM6, and it makes me miss my Treo600 and Treo270 something fierce.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeravgjoe View Post
    I think I tried something similar and got the "Cannot find an existing partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync" error on the Treo, even though I had already paired with my Toshiba, and could send files back and forth between the Treo and Toshiba.

I bought a Bluetooth adapter for my computer. I can pair up the Treo 700wx to the PC, but i get that same error "Cannot find an existing partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync". Seems that the treo doesn't see the WMDC active sync or something.

I have WM5 on my Treo 700wx. The phone isn't even that old. How can Vista not work with this phone?

Is there any way to get this to work? I'm tired of switching my USB cable form my truck to the PC in the house. Plus the main thing was i wanted to see if I could use the USB adapter on the laptop to sync AND use DUN for internet on my laptop via the Treo without using the USB cable which seems to have a bad conenction when i drive around.

Also. Is upgrading to WM6 on my Treo 700wx a good idea? Is a hack involved in doing this?
    I had a similar problem; the culprit was the Toshiba BT Stack. It won't automagically give you the ActiveSync (=WMDC) connection. Here is what I did.

First, go into Device Manager (Computer, System Properties, Device Manager). Expand the COM port settings item. See which COM ports are used by BT. In my case, COM7 was one of them. Once you've made the list, close the windows.

Second, open WMDC. Find connection settings. Change the drop box from "Bluetooth" to the COM port you just discovered above.

Third, delete the pairing between your computer and your Treo.

Fourth, pair your computer and your Treo. You'll see that ActiveSync is one of the options. (Hopefully.)

Complete the pairing and close everything.

Open ActiveSync on your Treo. Use the right softkey ("Menu") and select "Connect via Bluetooth"

With luck and prayer, this should work.
    i ONLY sync from WM6 to Vista Biz via BT. couldn't find my cable if you paid me, probably :-) .

THAT SAID - do google up your error message - i remember seeing that myself at some point.

i seem to recall doing a lot of soft resets on the phone before this all "stabilized". since, it's been rock-solid.

sorry i can't be of more specific help.

doody.
    Damn this thing just doesn't want to work. not sure if it's the bluetooth, which is a IOGEAR USB Dongle or the Palm Treo 700wx, or Vista. The Blutetooth Dongle was made for Vista and installed on Vista just fine.

The treo never seems to want to pair up with the COM POrt than I select in the bluetooth device settings or WMDC

One thing i do note is that when i PAIR the devices, i punch in my passcode on the PC and the phone, i.e. "0000" and for some reason after it starts to add the services to the PC, the phone then says it couldn't connect to the PC and maybe it needed the passcode and asks for it again. I then reenter the passcode.
    If I select the PC device on the phone and REFRESH the services available fomr the PC, it never adds anything to the list.
    WTF?

Once thing for sure is that Bluetooth has been one of the biggest POS technolodgies ever.

Not just saying that because of this. But when it comes to head sets, etc. My other tech friends also think it's not as good as they hoped it to be.

Hopefully some better wireless technolodgy comes out to replace it soon.
    Last edited by paysonbadboy; 02/20/2008 at 07:24 PM.
    Just want to say I had my phone for a week and haven't managed to sync via bluetooth until reading mmiora post tonight. This has been the only one I could understand from all the others read in other forums. I'm using an advent dongle with a Toshiba BT Stack and after considering buying another dongle I gave it one last go I've got it working...thanks mmiora. Although a bit later my TYTNII turned off bluetooth (possibly tp save battery as it was inactive) and I had to reset the phone as bluetooth wouldn't turn back on on the phone. Once reconnected both computer and requested a passkey and I noticed under the phone's bluetooth settings the computer showed serial port instead of Activesync, but it still appears to be connecting ok, although it keeps syncing and taking an age to do so, but bluetooth is working!
    Found out why this happened. I stupidly deleted the connection under the bluetooth settings on the computer. Now all is fine again (activesync show on the phone.
    Have been in a circle jerk all day with Palm / Microsoft / Sony trying to get a BT connection to ActiveSync on my VAIO. Everyone pointed to the next guy. Your step by step (posted 20 FEB) did the trick. One difference, for me at least: when I put it back on use BT, the Treo showed connected to ActiveSync, but WMDC did not. When I changed it back to COM7, it now syncs like a champion.

Mike
    Mike Caldwell
    I'm glad I could be of hlep.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast