View Poll Results: are you getting the 800w when it comes out?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, as SOON as it's availble

54 36.49%
  • maybe, i want to wait and see what the reviews say

44 29.73%
  • only if it has wifi and gps out of the box

37 25.00%
  • no. i am happy with what i got.

7 4.73%
  • no. i am waiting/getting something else

4 2.70%
  • i hate polls. i hate codyppc

2 1.35%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Perry,

Good list. I made one of my own way back when the 6700 came out. I think it's called "What apps will I miss". I didn't get a chance to look through all of your list, but as I mentioned in my PM, THE WM TASKS APP IS SMOKED DETERIORATED FOSSILIZED ROADKILL CARCASS COMPARED TO THE PALM OS APP. And don't bother looking for 3rd party apps. They will not fill in the gaps. I have asked all of them individually and they have confirmed that their respective apps cannot replicate specific POS functionality. All IMO of course.

There. That, and the missing "find" function in IE, are my biggest gripes with WM. But WM offers so much more than POS.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Perry,

Good list. I made one of my own way back when the 6700 came out. I think it's called "What apps will I miss". I didn't get a chance to look through all of your list, but as I mentioned in my PM, THE WM TASKS APP IS SMOKED DETERIORATED FOSSILIZED ROADKILL CARCASS COMPARED TO THE PALM OS APP. And don't bother looking for 3rd party apps. They will not fill in the gaps. I have asked all of them individually and they have confirmed that their respective apps cannot replicate specific POS functionality. All IMO of course.

There. That, and the missing "find" function in IE, are my biggest gripes with WM. But WM offers so much more than POS.

This is why I am starting the research now. . . . I don't think a 30 day trial would be long enough.

Thanks skfny !!
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/11/2008 at 10:09 PM.
    Can you get your hands on a 700wx to try out the dark side?
    Can you get your hands on a 700wx to try out the dark side?

Ooo, there's an idea.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    will it have a 3.5mm headphone jack? still dont understand why most phones have 2.5mm considering the size of these devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdelt View Post
    will it have a 3.5mm headphone jack? still dont understand why most phones have 2.5mm considering the size of these devices.
    If it's a Treo and it's from Palm, my bet it will still be the 2.5mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    This is why I am starting the research now. . . . I don't think a 30 day trial would be long enough.

Thanks skfny !!
    When I got the 700p from palm I called them after 3 and 1/2 weeks and got permission to extend the trial to a total of 6 weeks. I sent it back after the 6th weeks but that extra 2 weeks helped in making the decision. It really isn't a 4 week learning curve in switching from palm to WM. I was convinced after a week when I switched to PPC but I still miss the palm OS speed and a few palm apps that have no WM versions.

............. THE WM TASKS APP IS SMOKED DETERIORATED FOSSILIZED ROADKILL CARCASS COMPARED TO THE PALM OS APP. And don't bother looking for 3rd party apps. They will not fill in the gaps. I have asked all of them individually and they have confirmed that their respective apps cannot replicate specific POS functionality. All IMO of course.

That, and the missing "find" function in IE, are my biggest gripes with WM. But WM offers so much more than POS.
    What palm OS functionality is missing in the WM task app? Also what is the find function you mentioned? I'm just curious about what I'm missing.
    James,

Which Palm apps do you still miss?

The tasks functionality I miss is the ability to set a task to "repeat after completed", and more basically, the auto-rescheduling of alarms for expired tasks. I HATE the fact that I can have an expired task and never be reminded of it. POS reminded you of the task every day at the scheduled time until you marked it complete.

I know you can "Dismiss 1 day", but the one day you accidentally hit "Dismiss, that task is forever gone unless you go into the app and set a new alarm for it.

Missing find functionality- there is NO way to "find text on page" in PIE. That is inexcusable and the fact that WM hasn't added this in 6 OS revisions shows that the WM developers obviously browse basic pages only and never go to pages that require this functionality. (!?)
    James,

Which Palm apps do you still miss?

The tasks functionality I miss is the ability to set a task to "repeat after completed", and more basically, the auto-rescheduling of alarms for expired tasks. I HATE the fact that I can have an expired task and never be reminded of it. POS reminded you of the task every day at the scheduled time until you marked it complete.

I know you can "Dismiss 1 day", but the one day you accidentally hit "Dismiss, that task is forever gone unless you go into the app and set a new alarm for it.

Missing find functionality- there is NO way to "find text on page" in PIE. That is inexcusable and the fact that WM hasn't added this in 6 OS revisions shows that the WM developers obviously browse basic pages only and never go to pages that require this functionality. (!?)

I see. I use NetFront instead of IE and its "find word on page" function is very helpful. You are right, that should be a part of the app. That would be nice if WM tasks operated in that way.

Well for a long time I missed Splash money but that was solved last week so the only one left is MobiSystems quick check, it underlines misspelled words as you type. It saves you the trouble of running a spell check.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    ... only one left is MobiSystems quick check, it underlines misspelled words as you type. It saves you the trouble of running a spell check.
    WM has text-prediction built in and you can have up to 6 suggested words as you type. This covers a huge portion of everyday vernacular although you can just as easily add words and with a free app, edit the system dictionary in advance.

At this point, spell check on WM devices is pretty redundant--I'd say 98% of my emails/docs have correct spelling--the other 2% is just wrong word choice

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...12&postcount=8 text of which is below, the highlighted deals with this 800w thread.

Same OS, so it must be a PalmOS optimized hardware that is providing the advantage over the 700p -- vs. a hardware that tried to go both ways.

Maybe not. But whatever the cause -- I am glad to see it. While I am sticking with the larger battery and screen on my 755p, I am glad to see a new device that is/will pull many new users into the Palm experience and give them a good experience. This will bode well for the continuation of the Palm franchise and 3rd party providers, as we wait for the multi-tasking Palm/LinuxOS (Nova, if that is it's name). I just finished playing with a Centro at my Sprint store. . . nice feel & snappy.

(I was there to play with a 700wx as part of my research on the coming 800w. Alas, they had no 700w on display. . . . . hmmm. . . . now what does that tell me about the potential arrival of the 800w? Anyway, if the 800w does have GPS, I am not sure I can wait for Nova.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    WM has text-prediction built in and you can have up to 6 suggested words as you type. This covers a huge portion of everyday vernacular although you can just as easily add words and with a free app, edit the system dictionary in advance.

At this point, spell check on WM devices is pretty redundant--I'd say 98% of my emails/docs have correct spelling--the other 2% is just wrong word choice
    Hey Mal, good to chat with you. I may be looking at it wrong and I know things are different for others but I find the auto complete to be a waste. After a day of absorbing my typos all it does is suggest a list of misspelled words. I know I can edit or delete the absorbed words but that doesn't do much good. I never know when it is suggesting misspelled words. I'm a bad speller and always in a hurry so I make many errors. With Quick check it doesn't absorb misspellings, it doesn't pop open a window of options in your way, it just underlines the misspelled word with a red squiggly line. For me this worked perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Hey Mal, good to chat with you. I may be looking at it wrong and I know things are different for others but I find the auto complete to be a waste. After a day of absorbing my typos all it does is suggest a list of misspelled words. I know I can edit or delete the absorbed words but that doesn't do much good. I never know when it is suggesting misspelled words. I'm a bad speller and always in a hurry so I make many errors. With Quick check it doesn't absorb misspellings, it doesn't pop open a window of options in your way, it just underlines the misspelled word with a red squiggly line. For me this worked perfect.
    Gotcha. I'll try to keep an eye out for one as I imagine somewhere there is. I thought WM Word has a spell check and maybe even the email client, but I'd have to look again.

I set my "word suggest" at 2 letters with 6 words and personally I love it: you just have to trust it'll find the word as you type and then you just select it--now you have the correct word and it's spelled correct.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Pocket Word and Outlook have spell check built in. I wish there was a way to "auto spell check before sending". That would do it for me.
    Ya there is a built-in spell check in about every app except the web browser but the beauty of the palm app QuickCheck is that you only bother correcting words that are identified as misspelled selectively if you want to. If the word is underlined you can tap it and correct it. With the built in app you would have to run it after each typing session and it of course wants to correct names, slang, shorthand etc. Im sure in a few years someone will write an app for it.............. Maybe I will!!! Is it hard to do?
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Isnt someone manufacturing this right now?

Perhaps in Asian country?

Their lips must be so seal that nothing leaks out.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Isnt someone manufacturing this right now?

Perhaps in Asian country?

Their lips must be so seal that nothing leaks out.
    I don't think you have a lot of people wanting to put their job on the line to satisfy a handful of enthusiasts. Half of the time I think "leaks" are from companies themselves... or small mistakes, like a site posting info about a product and not securing the info.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123