View Poll Results: are you getting the 800w when it comes out?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, as SOON as it's availble

    54 36.49%
  • maybe, i want to wait and see what the reviews say

    44 29.73%
  • only if it has wifi and gps out of the box

    37 25.00%
  • no. i am happy with what i got.

    7 4.73%
  • no. i am waiting/getting something else

    4 2.70%
  • i hate polls. i hate codyppc

    2 1.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58
  1.    #21  
    nevermind.....
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  2. #22  
    Mal,

    I do hope you are right.

    By "They", I meant the WM Experts story on the Friday before Xmas. They said "even makes the Mogul scared."

    I think the timing of the article indicates that there was a secret event right before the holidays where Palm spilled the beans to their inner circle, and if so, the wording of the WMExperts post may reflect the content of the Palm leak. It's a stretch, but the timing of the post and the degree of certainty makes this plausible.

    With Palm's history, you'd have to be unrealistic to not have SOME concern that they will produce this great device and cripple it in some way. Even the 750 didn't have the free RAM of the 700wx.
    Maybe I want to expect the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised?

    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    With Palm's history, you'd have to be unrealistic to not have SOME concern that they will produce this great device and cripple it in some way. Even the 750 didn't have the free RAM of the 700wx.
    Maybe I want to expect the worst so I can be pleasantly surprised?

    I didn't realize that the 750v didn't have the same amount of FREE RAM as the 700wx. Is/Was there ever an explanation as to why this is the case?

    -D
  4. #24  
    I am going to take a long look with using StyleTap to maintain my 10 year library of PalmOS applications.

    I have wanted GPS in my PDA forever.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I am going to take a long look with using StyleTap to maintain my 10 year library of PalmOS applications.

    I have wanted GPS in my PDA forever.
    HOLY CRAP, Perry is thinking about a WM device?!

    I have found that using StyleTap has become none existent for me lately. I used to use it all the time, now I think I open it once a month IF that... actually since I have gotten Windows Live Search, I don't open it at all anymore.
  6. #26  
    My experience is exactly the opposite of Darth's.

    For many trivial tasks, WM stinks. I use POS apps for probably 40%+ of the work I do on my WM device. Simple things, like, say, finding text on a web page. How the #%$% does MS issue new OS versions and not add this functionality?

    For complex tasks like GPS Navigation and GBA emulation, I use WM apps.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    HOLY CRAP, Perry is thinking about a WM device?!

    I have found that using StyleTap has become none existent for me lately. I used to use it all the time, now I think I open it once a month IF that... actually since I have gotten Windows Live Search, I don't open it at all anymore.
    LOL

    The 700w offered me nothing I wanted over 700p . . . . . now wave GPS under my nose and another 18 months before a Palm/LinuxOS version might have it . . . . . and I am very interested in taking a look. . . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/09/2008 at 10:27 AM.
  8. #28  
    My 700wx is running ok right now (ok, it is running great). I'll more than likely get the 800wx (or whatever it is called) once some people have had it and spoke in terms of the reliability.

    Wifi is not important to me... not with free data I get with sprint

    gps would be nice, not something I really need (but I could use it).

    Larger screen would be great....

    Lots of memory (tons of it!)

    The main thing I want is a great signal. I want great stability. I want my contacts to sync and not lose info. So far the 700wx has done these things... if palm can add some additional specs and match the greatness of the 700wx, then I'm all in.

    If they cut corners in order to save cash or put out a weak product (like the 700w), then palm can keep the device.... no matter what crap they put on it.

    No way I trust them out the gate... prior experience has shown me that is not a wise move.... Hopefully I will get the 800 though. I like win mob treos.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9. #29  
    If it has GPS and >100 megs of ROM for my stuff I'll ebay my Kaiser. WiFi is pointless for me even though I have WiFi at home, work, school and everywhere in between it goes unused. Its just not much of a benefit when if you already pay for unlimited data and you get >400kbs/sec. However the GPS on my Kaiser gets used daily! I love it! And my 160 MBs of usable ROM is awesome!!!

    But nothing beats the treo form factor and treos keyboards beat everything out there!!!............. Well almost,,,,,,,,, the curve has the best KB,,,,, but who would want a BB :P :O :YUCK:
  10. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #30  
    I might get the 800w only if:

    * PDAnet work on it
    * TomTom6 work on it

    Only if it comes to Sprint.

    Oh, one of your selection "only if GPS and Wifi" comes out of the box.

    What about "Remote Desktop"? Is Sprint going to take that away?
  11. #31  
    Okay, my research into application migration has started. . . . . . . . . . .this post will be a continuous work in progress. I will list my POS applications and what I have found to date concerning a replacement.

    Calendar WM provided
    Contacts WM provided -- what about "Notes" attached to POS Contacts?
    Tasks WM provided
    Memos ??
    VersaMail Compact Outlook?
    Blazer Compact IE?
    Pics & Videos ??


    BackupBuddy VFS Pro
    Bejeweled
    Britannica On Line
    CardKeeper
    CardSpeed VFS
    Chess Tiger Run via StyleTap?
    Core Player
    DiddleBug (Handwritten notes Program) ??
    Diet Assistant Run via StyleTap
    Documents to Go 10.0
    Due Yesterday (Student software linked w/ daughter) Run via StyleTap?
    eReaderPro w/ many reference works Free Windows Version, reference works move forward
    EZConvert (neat little conversion program, inches to kilometers and such) Run via StyleTap?
    FileZ
    finCalc
    GoogleMaps Assuming there is a WM version.
    Kinoma 4Ex
    KwikMaps
    MegaClock (multi function alarm clock, stopwatch, timer, world clock, moon phase)
    MobileTS (creates a connection to my work desktop) ??
    Monopoly
    Movie Guide (Leonard Maltin)
    mSafe
    mVoice
    On Demand (or Pocket Express) (News, Weather, Sports, Maps, 411, et cetera) WM Version available -- see if I can get a crossover discount.
    Pocket Checkers Run via StyleTap?
    Pocket Chess Run via StyleTap
    Pocket Quicken (connects to my desktop Quicken)WM Version available -- see if I can get a crossover discount.
    Pocket Tunes
    RealPlayer & RP Library of Songs Sent query to RealPlayer, library of songs only plays on RP 01/11/08, Just heard back from RealPlayer. Newer WM devices have a RealPlayer Mobile program on board and my existing Library of songs will be able to be converted to the format this WM program uses.
    Silent Threat
    SlovoEd (Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary
    Snap
    Solitare Run via Style Tap?
    Sprint TV
    TextPlus (a word complete while typing program)
    TimeReporter4
    TreoCiel (weather)
    VFSMark
    VoiceDial
    VolumeCare
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/12/2008 at 11:35 AM.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Okay, my research into application migration has started. . . .
    Two years ago you might have been in trouble but I think that it is -almost- safe to say there is a windows equivelant for almost any POS app. Typically the windows is superior as well. IMO...


    -Rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  13. #33  
    My order is in for an HTC Touch Cruise. I'm going keyboardless (using PocketCM) this time around.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Okay, my research into application migration has started. . . . . . . . . . .this post will be a continuous work in progress. I will list my POS applications and what I have found to date concerning a replacement. I will post the list of apps later this evening.
    Hey Perry,,,,, lemme know if I can help. I spent quite a bit of time during my conversion finding the comparable WM app.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter View Post
    Hey Perry,,,,, lemme know if I can help. I spent quite a bit of time during my conversion finding the comparable WM app.

    Your on, my friend.

    Just keep tabs on my post and I am sure you will get some PMs!!
  16. #36  
    Perry, just to let you know, I had my contacts switched at a Sprint store from the 755p to a Mogul a few weeks ago and only the names and numbers switched over. The notes and addresses didn't. Don't know if that will be the same on the 800w. I even changed my hotsync before from Palm Desktop to Outlook and even though everything was in Outlook, it didn't go over to the Mogul.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    Perry, just to let you know, I had my contacts switched at a Sprint store from the 755p to a Mogul a few weeks ago and only the names and numbers switched over. The notes and addresses didn't. Don't know if that will be the same on the 800w. I even changed my hotsync before from Palm Desktop to Outlook and even though everything was in Outlook, it didn't go over to the Mogul.
    Thanks Rick. If I do end up making the switch. . . it will definitely be a more studious and deliberate process than the clean install to a newer POS device.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Your on, my friend.

    Just keep tabs on my post and I am sure you will get some PMs!!
    No problem. Also like Rick, I had issues with PIM during my switch. I exported my PIM from Palm Desktop and imported to Outlook, no problem but some of my info showed up as "#@@@@@".
  19. #39  
    I think you need to start a new thread for the app switchover. I'd love to help as well, but time will probably be a problem. How about I buy the pizza and beer for the allnighter research party instead???
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoogleNerd View Post
    I think you need to start a new thread for the app switchover. I'd love to help as well, but time will probably be a problem. How about I buy the pizza and beer for the allnighter research party instead???
    Great idea. I sent him a PM earlier today but your right, starting a thread on the subject sounds like more fun. See ya there,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with the beer and Pizza!!!!

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...68#post1396868
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions