1.    #1  
    Dial Pad is right now 6 button clicks away, incl turning screen on and unlocking. Any quicker way to create a shortcut? In Settings-> Buttons, it will only let you create shortcuts to existing programs. I didn't see an option to assign a button to the DialPad, nor did I see an option on how to browse to select a diff program.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Why use the dialpad when the keyboard keys are right there?
  3.    #3  
    good question. i have big fingers and the keys are small. esp. true if I am dialing a long (10-11 digit) number.
    ah ha - but think about this as well.

Why not just dial your contact name right from the today screen, using the very fliexible dial process (any combo of first letter first name/space/first letter last name/first few letters of either one). In other words - try to AVOID dialing 10 or 11 digits?? See what I mean? WHy not just mash two or three or (max) four buttons, rather than dialing an entire phone number?

(yes this only works when you have contacts in the device, but that IS the whole point of a device like this - put ALL your contacts in the thing).

I know this seems obvious, but a lot of folks want to use a Treo just like they would a regular phone, from a dialing perspective, and if you dial exclusively by contact lookup, I think you'll like the whole thing better.

Example:

If I'm dialing John Holmes, I can roll like this:

j -space- h
    or
    j-o-space-h-o
    or
    h-o-l-m

any combination of letters that lets me dial the LEAST amount of button pushes is what you should shoot for. Never again dial a whole phone number!!

Give it a shot and see what you think.....
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I also have big fingers but I don't have a problem dialing using the keyboard.

I can save you two clicks - when you press the Phone button the second time (after pressing Center to clear the keyguard), press "d" instead of clicking up to DialPad and then selecting it.
    from unlocked today screen press right upper "mouse button" and dialpad is an option on my phone
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    But that's not really any fewer button presses.
    I only just discovered that the Z and B keys have the * and # keys enabled by default when dialing numbers, that was the only reason I ever needed the dial pad, or thought that I needed it...
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Yes indeedy. That's mentioned in the manual, but is easy to overlook.
  10.    #10  
    thanks people. so we have it down to 4 clicks, better than my 6.
    Yes, prob 80% of my calls are to existing contacts, and I am very quick at typing 2-3 letters of a contact to call them rapidly. But often I call people who aren't in my contact list, people I never want to be in my contact list.

I was hoping someone could provide a hack to re-assign 1 button to go straight to dial pad.
  11. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospo View Post
    I was hoping someone could provide a hack to re-assign 1 button to go straight to dial pad.
    look for phonedialer.lnk, put it in your Programs folder (under Start Menu) and then assign a button as you would normally.

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro
  12.    #12  
    how do I find/search for phonedialer.ink? Where would it be located? Can I find it using File Explorer?
    Yes, in the My Device/Windows dir
  14.    #14  
    i attempted to Copy & Paste from the My Device/Windows directory to the Program Files folder. It gave me this error - "Cannot copy"PhoneDialer'; Executable and resource files in ROM cannot be copied.'

Any advice?
    I use a menu/utility program named iLauncher (find it here) which allows me to put icons (shortcuts) on my Today screen.

I just added a shortcut to PhoneDialer.exe in the \Windows directory and voila, it provided single tap access to the phone dial pad.
    copy and paste shortcut instead...
  17.    #17  
    awesome it works! i just hold the side button and the dialpad is up quickly. thanks all!