Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #1  
    Whenever my Treo 750 shifts to a new time zone (or I manually change the time zone when traveling), all of my calendar appointment times change.

    So if I move 3 times zones west, my 11am appointment becomes an 8am appointment.

    Is there a way to not have the appointment times not change when I change time zones? The calendar entries I create area all ready correct for the place I'm traveling to, and when WM6 automatically shifts my appointment times it --and here's the technical term-- really messes things up. (I almost missed a flight because I wasn't aware that WM had changed the time of my flight on my calendar!)
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Whenever my Treo 750 shifts to a new time zone (or I manually change the time zone when traveling), all of my calendar appointment times change.

    So if I move 3 times zones west, my 11am appointment becomes an 8am appointment.

    Is there a way to not have the appointment times not change when I change time zones? The calendar entries I create area all ready correct for the place I'm traveling to, and when WM6 automatically shifts my appointment times it --and here's the technical term-- really messes things up. (I almost missed a flight because I wasn't aware that WM had changed the time of my flight on my calendar!)
    windows mobile has always wanted you to schedule things based on the local time of the appointment, so no matter what time zone you are in, if your time is adjusted correctly when you arrive to your new location, you will never miss a thing....

    For example, you are in NY but will be traveling to DFW for a meeting at 1pm Dallas time. You would enter this while you are in NY as a 2pm meeting. when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.

    It takes some getting used to but it works well once you know how it works. There are some 3rd party PIM apps that let you enter a time zone when entering an appt, so it is a bit more straight forward....
  3. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #3  
    Is what you're saying is that there's nothing else I can do other than enter in the time-adjusted appointment in Outlook -- in other words, I must calculate the time-zone difference before putting the appointment in Outlook if I want it to appear correctly on my Treo 750's calendar?

    (I had entered in the local time of the appointment. In this case, I entered into Outlook on my desktop that my flight was at 1pm, Buenos Aires time. When I arrived in Buenos Aires, 2 times zones away, Windows Mobile switched the time of my flight on my calendar to 3pm.)

    If I'm traveling to multiple destinations and through several time zones, then for each appointment before I enter in that information in Outlook on my desktop, I have to calculate what the time offset should be? (And heaven help me if I'm traveling when daylight savings time changes to standard time or vice versa.)

    I'm hoping there's a better way or a fix or a hack that will prevent WM from changing the appointment time on my Treo 750's calendar. The only thing I can do for now is always keep my Treo 750's time set to my home time zone regardless of where I am.



    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    windows mobile has always wanted you to schedule things based on the local time of the appointment, so no matter what time zone you are in, if your time is adjusted correctly when you arrive to your new location, you will never miss a thing....

    For example, you are in NY but will be traveling to DFW for a meeting at 1pm Dallas time. You would enter this while you are in NY as a 2pm meeting. when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.

    It takes some getting used to but it works well once you know how it works. There are some 3rd party PIM apps that let you enter a time zone when entering an appt, so it is a bit more straight forward....
  4. #4  
    When scheduling in Outlook on your desktop, click the timezones button while you're creating the appointment and select the appropriate time zone for the appointment, that way it will be correct when you switch.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  5. #5  
    use Pocket Informant to enter your appointment. It allows you to enter the local time and assign a time zone, so it does all the thinking for you....well worth the money!

    http://www.pocketinformant.com/produ...d=pi&tab_id=pi
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    When scheduling in Outlook on your desktop, click the timezones button while you're creating the appointment and select the appropriate time zone for the appointment, that way it will be correct when you switch.
    that is another way if you use Outlook to create your appointments...
  7. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thanks - I gave that a try. I used the time zones button in Outlook. It's not quite the solution that I'm looking for, and that introduces an unwanted change in Outlook on my desktop.

    What I really want to be able to do is a simple thing (and something that I had on my Treo 680): Enter in an appointment time in Outlook and not have the software change the appointment time.

    What I want to be able to do is enter in 1pm for a lunch meeting I'm having in Los Angeles in my Outlook calendar on my desktop. I know that I meant 1pm Los Angeles time (and not 4pm Eastern time.) Then I would like my Treo 750 to show the correct local time and the correct time for the appointment.

    Somewhere, fingers crossed, there's a trick, a hack, an overlooked feature that will tell prevent Windows Mobile from changing the time on my calendar entries when my Treo 750 changes time zones.

    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    that is another way if you use Outlook to create your appointments...
  8. #8  
    <i>For example, you are in NY but will be traveling to DFW for a meeting at 1pm Dallas time. You would enter this while you are in NY as a 2pm meeting. when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.</i>

    Is this a typo?

    Do you really mean that the meeting should be entered as a 1pm meeting instead of 2pm? Or do you mean that the user must calculate the time difference? (That would be a real PITA.)
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Thanks - I gave that a try. I used the time zones button in Outlook. It's not quite the solution that I'm looking for, and that introduces an unwanted change in Outlook on my desktop.

    What I really want to be able to do is a simple thing (and something that I had on my Treo 680): Enter in an appointment time in Outlook and not have the software change the appointment time.

    What I want to be able to do is enter in 1pm for a lunch meeting I'm having in Los Angeles in my Outlook calendar on my desktop. I know that I meant 1pm Los Angeles time (and not 4pm Eastern time.) Then I would like my Treo 750 to show the correct local time and the correct time for the appointment.

    Somewhere, fingers crossed, there's a trick, a hack, an overlooked feature that will tell prevent Windows Mobile from changing the time on my calendar entries when my Treo 750 changes time zones.
    There is no hack, that is just how WM works. Do some Googling about it. You can either embrace it and try to alter slightly the way you do things and learn to enjoy your device, or you can stew on it and hate your device for this minor annoyance.

    The 2 easiest, and best ways to handle this are either using Outlook time zones on your PC or using a 3rd party PIM such as Pocket Informant to set the local time as you did on your Palm and just assign it to a time zone and let the OS do it's thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    <i>For example, you are in NY but will be traveling to DFW for a meeting at 1pm Dallas time. You would enter this while you are in NY as a 2pm meeting. when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.</i>

    Is this a typo?

    Do you really mean that the meeting should be entered as a 1pm meeting instead of 2pm? Or do you mean that the user must calculate the time difference? (That would be a real PITA.)
    No typo, you have to enter the appointment time that corresponds to the time it would be in your home time zone for it to show properly when you change to a new time zone while traveling.

    New York is your home (EST)
    DFW is your meeting (CST)
    1pm is the meeting time in Dallas (CST)
    If you enter the appointment while you are on EST, it will have to be set to 2pm (EST) so that it shows properly when you arrive in Dallas and set your time zone to CST (or your device does it automatically if using network time).
  10. #10  
    I wrote: Is this a typo? Do you really mean that the meeting should be entered as a 1pm meeting instead of 2pm? Or do you mean that the user must calculate the time difference? (That would be a real PITA.)

    Phil replied: No typo, you have to enter the appointment time that corresponds to the time it would be in your home time zone for it to show properly when you change to a new time zone while traveling.

    Ah, so this part was the typo: when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.

    You meant "when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 1pm meeting" (since the original premise was that the meeting is at 1pm Dallas time).

    Here's another question: I currently have a Treo 650 with Palm OS on AT&T (my 750 with WM5 arrives Friday, so I'm studying the fora to see what issues I might have to deal with). When I travel, my phone changes time zones automatically, based on the AT&T network, but nothing in my Calendar changes - the times all stay exactly where I put them.

    When I travel with my 750, will the times change when the phone pulls in the new time zone info from the network? or is this something I won't have to worry about?

    Thanks
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    I wrote: Is this a typo? Do you really mean that the meeting should be entered as a 1pm meeting instead of 2pm? Or do you mean that the user must calculate the time difference? (That would be a real PITA.)

    Phil replied: No typo, you have to enter the appointment time that corresponds to the time it would be in your home time zone for it to show properly when you change to a new time zone while traveling.

    Ah, so this part was the typo: when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 2pm meeting.

    You meant "when you get to DFW and adjust your time, it shows up correct, as a 1pm meeting" (since the original premise was that the meeting is at 1pm Dallas time).
    oops! It was a typo! But I think you get the point now

    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    Here's another question: I currently have a Treo 650 with Palm OS on AT&T (my 750 with WM5 arrives Friday, so I'm studying the fora to see what issues I might have to deal with). When I travel, my phone changes time zones automatically, based on the AT&T network, but nothing in my Calendar changes - the times all stay exactly where I put them.

    When I travel with my 750, will the times change when the phone pulls in the new time zone info from the network? or is this something I won't have to worry about?

    Thanks
    On the 750, when the phone picks up a new time zone from the network, the appointment times will change by the offset from the time zone of your home location. MS thought this was a useful feature but is causes much confusion for people who don't realize this portion of the OS...
  12. #12  
    one other thing you can do is this...disable the network time update so it does not pick up a new time/time zone when you arrive to your destination. when you arrive, just change the clock time without changing the time zone....
  13. #13  
    Thanks for the clarification, Phil. When I get my 750 & import my Palm Calendar data into it (via Dimex exportation to a .ics file), I will have to make sure to set the appropriate Time Zone info for it.

    Just a change to the way I currently work, but I'm glad I won't be caught unawares.
  14. AvengerBB's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #14  
    Just curious, but isn't the whole point of putting appointments into Outlook to make sure you don't have conflicts? If you are entering appointments in as different time zones and not indentifying them, you could double book yourself, right?
  15. #15  
    It also seems that I'll have to put text into the description that says "this is really a 1pm meeting" even though I've put the start time as 2pm. So when people ask me "are you free at 2?" I can look at my calendar - and even though it shows a 2pm meeting - I can say "yes my meeting will be over by then".

    crazy
  16. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
       #16  
    The very simple solution would be for Windows Mobile not to insist on changing your calendar entry times when you change time zones.

    Or to find a way to prevent that from happening.



    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    It also seems that I'll have to put text into the description that says "this is really a 1pm meeting" even though I've put the start time as 2pm. So when people ask me "are you free at 2?" I can look at my calendar - and even though it shows a 2pm meeting - I can say "yes my meeting will be over by then".

    crazy
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    The very simple solution would be for Windows Mobile not to insist on changing your calendar entry times when you change time zones.
    When you change time zones on the OS, your appointments move. Period. No way of getting around that.

    Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Or to find a way to prevent that from happening.
    Those ways are discussed above...
  18. #18  
    Phil, just to clarify something here --

    I live in the Pacific time zone. If I have a meeting in New York on the 15th at 3pm Eastern time, can I create an entry in the calendar, change the time zone to Eastern & set the start time at 3pm? What will happen when I then fly to NY & my phone grabs the new time zone info from the network? Will my meeting show as starting at 3pm or 6pm?

    Thanks.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    Phil, just to clarify something here --

    I live in the Pacific time zone. If I have a meeting in New York on the 15th at 3pm Eastern time, can I create an entry in the calendar, change the time zone to Eastern & set the start time at 3pm? What will happen when I then fly to NY & my phone grabs the new time zone info from the network? Will my meeting show as starting at 3pm or 6pm?

    Thanks.
    In Outlook on your desktop, you would enter 3PM and choose the eastern timezone. Once entered, it will show in your outlook calendar and on your treo as noon (pacific). When you go to new york and your phone updates to eastern timezone, the appoint will show as 3PM
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    In Outlook on your desktop, you would enter 3PM and choose the eastern timezone. Once entered, it will show in your outlook calendar and on your treo as noon (pacific). When you go to new york and your phone updates to eastern timezone, the appoint will show as 3PM
    What happens if, while you are in New York, you synchronize your Treo to your laptop PC, which doesn't automagically change timezones and is still set to Pacific time? You end up synchronizing your Pacific time Laptop to your Eastern time Treo. Doesnt' that risk some corruption?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions