Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's all crazy. Why would I want to see a 3pm appointment listed as noon? I want to know that I have a 3pm appointment not a noon appointment!

Would all this be solved if I use Pocket Informant or Agendus rather than the Outlook that comes on the 750? I really don't want to use Outlook unless I absolutely must.

I travel all over the country (all over the world, really) in my business & need to have my appointments displayed in the local time of the appointment without GMT offset - meaning that if I have a 3pm appointment in SF, it needs to say "3pm" and if I have a 4pm appointment in NY, it needs to say "4pm" and if I have a 6pm appointment in London, it needs to say "6pm", regardless of where I actually am at the moment.
    Having experienced the same annoying appointment shift numerous times and wasted gobs of time making manual corrections repeatedly when I travel, I simply count this as one more example of Microsoft's mysterious inability to build products that let you do things that you want to do, instead of what they want you to do. Anyone who has compared formatting a complex document in Word with doing so in WordPerfect can testify how much easier and more intuitive it is in WP (the "Reveal Codes" option alone in WP wipes Word out). Sadly, MS refuses to make these little changes that would make life so much easier for folks. I don't know why -- pride? perversity? And I do own Microsoft stock, so I really wish them well. Just can't understand why they let these truly annoying quirks remain in their products.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Not to get too off-topic (and I completely agree with J Woocher), but this is why I use XTNDConnect to sync my Treo 750 with Outlook, rather than just using Activesync. I'm not willing to let Microsoft's Activesync decide how to change my data in Outlook. With XTNDConnect, I can sync just one-way from Outlook to my Treo.

As far as I can tell there's no way to stop WM6 from altering the appointment times on the calendar when you change time zones. The only solution appears to be to not change the Treo's time --or turn off the auto time set-- when traveling.

I'm looking for a clock program that I can manually set when I travel, and I'll just use that for alarms and audio reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by J Woocher View Post
    Having experienced the same annoying appointment shift numerous times and wasted gobs of time making manual corrections repeatedly when I travel, I simply count this as one more example of Microsoft's mysterious inability to build products that let you do things that you want to do, instead of what they want you to do. Anyone who has compared formatting a complex document in Word with doing so in WordPerfect can testify how much easier and more intuitive it is in WP (the "Reveal Codes" option alone in WP wipes Word out). Sadly, MS refuses to make these little changes that would make life so much easier for folks. I don't know why -- pride? perversity? And I do own Microsoft stock, so I really wish them well. Just can't understand why they let these truly annoying quirks remain in their products.
    Quote Originally Posted by ladysun1969 View Post
    It's all crazy. Why would I want to see a 3pm appointment listed as noon? I want to know that I have a 3pm appointment not a noon appointment!

Would all this be solved if I use Pocket Informant or Agendus rather than the Outlook that comes on the 750? I really don't want to use Outlook unless I absolutely must.

I travel all over the country (all over the world, really) in my business & need to have my appointments displayed in the local time of the appointment without GMT offset - meaning that if I have a 3pm appointment in SF, it needs to say "3pm" and if I have a 4pm appointment in NY, it needs to say "4pm" and if I have a 6pm appointment in London, it needs to say "6pm", regardless of where I actually am at the moment.
    then the best thing for you is to disable the auto network time adjustment and not change time zones when you get to your destination, only change the time for the home location in your OS clock on your 750.
    That does seem to be the "best" option available to me at this time.

For an arbitrarily "rotten" value of "best"....

Thanks.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...14#post1394214

Some of you might want to take advantage of this promotion...
    Quote Originally Posted by mmiora View Post
    What happens if, while you are in New York, you synchronize your Treo to your laptop PC, which doesn't automagically change timezones and is still set to Pacific time? You end up synchronizing your Pacific time Laptop to your Eastern time Treo. Doesnt' that risk some corruption?
    No, it's still the same appointment and 3PM eastern = 3PM eastern.

One of the problems I think is that while your treo auto adjusts for timezone (if you want it to), your PC does not. So when you're looking at appointments on your PC they're always reflected (and entered) in your home timezone (unless you manually change the timezone for some appointments).

It's funny how wrapped around the axles timezones make us (generalizing of course)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Thanks, Phil -- I am looking forward to trying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    No, it's still the same appointment and 3PM eastern = 3PM eastern.

One of the problems I think is that while your treo auto adjusts for timezone (if you want it to), your PC does not. So when you're looking at appointments on your PC they're always reflected (and entered) in your home timezone (unless you manually change the timezone for some appointments).

It's funny how wrapped around the axles timezones make us (generalizing of course)
    Thanks for your response. I seem to recall that I tried this a few years ago and found that if I synchronized while traveling with my PC and PDA set to different time zones, I had issues with recurring appointments. Have you done this and found it to be okay?

-- TIA - Michael
    FWIW, the WebIS Toolbox application (from the same people who make Pocket Informant) works for me.

With this installed, when I change my timezone to (say) Eastern, I get
    a warning message from WM that "appointment times will change to
    reflect the new time zone" (gah!), BUT when I go into my calendar, the
    times still display the way I want them to - they haven't changed.

The one bit of weirdness is this: if I have "Calendar" set up as a
    display item on my "Today" page, that time will change (but if I go
    into the Calendar application, it is "correct" there).

Simple fix: remove the "Calendar" display item from the "Today" page.
    That's fine - I don't want it anyway.

For those people who DO want the "Calendar" display item on the "Today" page, then this doesn't work, but the items in the actual Calendar application are correct.

Hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Just curious - how do you schedule your airline flights? 14 hours to get to Europe, and 2 hours to get back?

The Microsoft solution actually works for me. If a colleague in LA sets up a conference call for me at noon his time, it shows up as a 2pm appointment if I'm home, 3pm if I'm on the East Coast, or noon if I'm in LA. My admin can look at my calendar if somebody calls her and say "he's on a call for the next 20 minutes." Nobody has to do any figuring...

-CraigD
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigD View Post
    The Microsoft solution actually works for me. If a colleague in LA sets up a conference call for me at noon his time, it shows up as a 2pm appointment if I'm home, 3pm if I'm on the East Coast, or noon if I'm in LA. My admin can look at my calendar if somebody calls her and say "he's on a call for the next 20 minutes." Nobody has to do any figuring...

-CraigD
    And this was the whole point that MS did what they did. Like I've said before, it works just fine once you get used to it...
    Phil, it does not work fine for those who work like me -- I will actually be IN the new time zone when that event happens.

I am a traveling musician. I am self-employed. No secretaries.

I live in California. If I have a 6pm concert on Feb 3 in New York, I want to put it in my personal calendar as a 6pm concert. I want to see it as "6pm" when I am in California AND I want it to still say "6pm" when I get to New York & my mobile device changes to Eastern Time.

Why is that so hard to understand?
    Craig, you asked: "Just curious - how do you schedule your airline flights? 14 hours to get to Europe, and 2 hours to get back?"

Something like that.

Say for example that I fly SFO to LHR on Mon Jan 28 & back on Mon Feb 4. I would put it into my calendar like this:

SFO-LHR - start time = Mon Jan 28 12:30pm; end time = Tues Jan 29 6:55am

LHR-SFO - start time = Mon Feb 4 10:05am; end time = Mon Feb 4 1:15pm

(It gets a little more complicated for flights to/from Asia, but I deal with that by just making it a "no time" appointment. I fly within the USA more often than to Asia.)

All the times in the calendar reflect my own subjective time - the time that it is in the place where I am.

Since I don't share calendars & don't sync with an Exchange server, I don't want my mobile calendar to change the display time of my appointments - I want them to stay in my own subjective time.

As I posted above, the WebIS Toolbox seems to fix this for me, but it should be a user-configurable option in Outlook so that it works for both types of uses. Telling people to just turn off network time or to look at appointments with the wrong subjective time is not acceptable. I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app for something as simple as this.
    Craig wrote: "The Microsoft solution actually works for me. If a colleague in LA sets up a conference call for me at noon his time, it shows up as a 2pm appointment if I'm home, 3pm if I'm on the East Coast, or noon if I'm in LA. My admin can look at my calendar if somebody calls her and say "he's on a call for the next 20 minutes." Nobody has to do any figuring..."

That's because your appointment is with somebody who might be in a different time zone from where you are. In my situation, I am in the same time zone as my event when the event happens. I have to make advertising, press releases, posters, etc., with the local time of the event & I have to do that while I'm in California, no matter where the event occurs, so I need my calendar to display the local time of the event no matter where I happen to be.
    Phil, it does not work fine for those who work like me -- I will actually be IN the new time zone when that event happens.

I live in California. If I have a 6pm concert on Feb 3 in New York, I want to put it in my personal calendar as a 6pm concert. I want to see it as "6pm" when I am in California AND I want it to still say "6pm" when I get to New York & my mobile device changes to Eastern Time.

There is nothing hard to understand about it. I completely understand it and sometimes I would like that to work as well. However, sometimes, it just doesn't work, such as a flight from Asia to the west coast where you can time wise arrive before the original departure time and there is no way to enter the info into your schedule. Once I had that happen a couple times, I learned to deal with it other ways. WM is what it is. It has been that way since its inception several years ago and continues to remain that way with new builds. You can either use it the way it was intended by the programmers or use applications that were developed by people with users like you in mind.

None of my comments are directed towards you. I am just commenting that people think this is a huge deal, but when using it in a corporate setting, for which Outlook (and subsequently pOutlook) was designed, it does its job very well with respect to this and once you learn to use it, it isn't a big deal anymore.

However, if you chose not to use it that way, you have 3rd party options, which is the beauty of WM as opposed to other platforms.

I will say it again. You can embrace your new WM device and learn to not be able to live with any other type of device, or you can decide before you even own it that it is junk and stupid because of this "feature" and hate everyday with your new device.

I chose to make the best of things and learn to work around them or find 3rd party apps that do the job for me and I am loving my 3rd WM powered device...but that's just me.
    As I posted above, the WebIS Toolbox seems to fix this for me, but it should be a user-configurable option in Outlook so that it works for both types of uses. Telling people to just turn off network time or to look at appointments with the wrong subjective time is not acceptable. I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app for something as simple as this.
    I still think the best thing for you to do is disable the network time.

With WebIS Toolbox, you have to buy a 3rd party application and run it everytime you change your time zone. So your cost is $15 + you still have to run the utility whenever your phone picks up new time zone and worry about the potential of another application causing conflicts or corrupting your PIM database.

With disabling the network time, you spend no money and have one change to make (just the local time in the settings...without changing the time zone) and no additional programs to run. Additionally, some service providers broadcast the wrong times anyways, especially when roaming internationally, so sometimes you would have to disable the network time anyways. Seriously, this seems like the cheapest, most direct option for you. No worries about the Toolbox corrupting your database, despite the backups it makes, no money, no more steps than using Toolbox, etc...
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Exactly -- the time I enter into my desktop Outlook is the time I want to see on my Treo wherever I am. I don't want the software to try and be smarter than I am, because it's not.

I downloaded and installed Pocket Informant -- an alternate calendar solution. That wasn't a good solution for me, since PI took up so much memory, and I don't have a lot to spare.

So, once again, the only solution seems to be to not change the time on the Treo while traveling. Pity about that, because having the correct time displayed on the Treo 750 is a useful thing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by badler View Post
    Exactly -- the time I enter into my desktop Outlook is the time I want to see on my Treo wherever I am. I don't want the software to try and be smarter than I am, because it's not.

I downloaded and installed Pocket Informant -- an alternate calendar solution. That wasn't a good solution for me, since PI took up so much memory, and I don't have a lot to spare.

So, once again, the only solution seems to be to not change the time on the Treo while traveling. Pity about that, because having the correct time displayed on the Treo 750 is a useful thing, too.
    I think you missed something. You can still change your time when you travel, just it will not change based on the time the cellular network is broadcasting. If you disable the network time update, you can still go into the time settings and change the hour/minutes and it will have NO effect on your calendar items....so long as you just change the time and not the time zone...

And your display will show the correct time (just incorrect time zone if you have that showing anywhere which is doubtful).
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Thanks - I did miss that. Being able to manually adjust the time is a help. Not a perfect solution, but one that alleviates a major problem.

Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    I think you missed something. You can still change your time when you travel, just it will not change based on the time the cellular network is broadcasting. If you disable the network time update, you can still go into the time settings and change the hour/minutes and it will have NO effect on your calendar items....so long as you just change the time and not the time zone...

And your display will show the correct time (just incorrect time zone if you have that showing anywhere which is doubtful).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast