1.    #1  
    Who's gonna be first/best?
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/21/h...nt-cdma-touch/

if the new Treo's coming with same 1.3-megapixel camera, they're loosing me; been craving too long for 2-mega and all the nuggets inside those htc pies

plus, Iris' already out in Canada and HK; can't wait!
    That device is running WM6 Standard (which means no touch screen among many other differences). The 800w will be running WM6 Professional.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    This is pretty much the Treo, errr, phone, I've been waiting for. I wish Palm would at the very least send out some teaser shots.

My 700wx has served me well, but I'm getting tired of having to press talk 8 times to pick up a call.
    Last edited by Kamzilla; 01/02/2008 at 11:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    You know, if the 800w formfactor is a success, I'd love to see a POS version of it, even if it's not feasible to cram in all of the 800w's specs.

Basically, take the 800w physical formfactor/screen/keyboard, add the best bits of the 755p & the Centro's under-the-hood OS tweaks, and maybe throw POS users a bone with, say, a 2.0 megapixel camera and 128mb RAM. Send Garnet out in style.

That would give Palm a POS lineup of:
    CDMA Centro---GSM Centro---Treo 680 (if it's not EOL as I expect it to be)----755p-----800p

and for the WinMob end, at minimum:

Treo 500w------750------800w
    i dont like the 320x240 either.

64 mb ram.

not for me. i like the sounds of the 800w. the camara is the last on the widh list for me. as long as it has one.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I'm thinking the Iris may not be out yet b/c they are outfitting it with 128 MB of RAM, which is really the min for WM6
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    lol, nope. The s640 came out about 3 months ago on Telus with little to no fanfare. Its about as exciting as the 500v.

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/10/16...in-canada.html

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Wow, did they launch they Touch with or without memory problems? That is bad news b/c I was looking forward to the Iris. I guess I really have to wait for the 800w now.
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Who's gonna be first/best?if the new Treo's coming with same 1.3-megapixel camera, they're loosing me; been craving too long for 2-mega and all the nuggets inside those htc pies

plus, Iris' already out in Canada and HK; can't wait!
    I don't know about you, but I once played with a Moto device that had Windows Mob. Standard. A pain without the touchscreen, because on the browser, I just could not figure out how to quickly get to do what I wanted to do. Just imagine your Windows with no mouse...just the tab key to move you around the screen, would be maddening!!

Someone said something about Palm posting teaser photos....there's no way under the sun that companies do such things...they're under enormous pressure to sell what they've released to date, and will never tell you what's coming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o View Post
    Wow, did they launch they Touch with or without memory problems? That is bad news b/c I was looking forward to the Iris. I guess I really have to wait for the 800w now.
    Without. It's the essentially the same CDMA version as Sprint's Touch.

Reviews have been pretty mediocre for the s640 with the large problem of market saturation with similar devices (Moto Q9, BJ II, Cavalier, etc.)

To the OP slide: indeed a 2mp camera is nice but the other, what I would say is more important, aspect is the software handling of the camera and lens quality. HTC is not exactly known for stellar camera performance on any of their devices (though Kaiser has probably their best attempt). The s640's is reportedly "ok" but nothing to write home about.

I will say the color balance of the Palm Centro's camera is one of the best I've seen on a 1.3mp/smartphone, so that at least inspires hope for the 800w but certainly does not guarantee anything. It certainly kills my 700wx and Moto Q cameras of the same 1.3mp type. I'd also take my Centro's camera (1.3) over the Mogul's 2mp anyday.

One of the big issues in WM is the camera lag when taking photos--you have to do that shoot and hold thing as the software is slooow. This issue is only exasperated with larger MP cameras on WM devices, unless a lot has changed in newer WM6 iterations. (In fairness, it is better in WM6 than WM5).

Sample 1
    Sample 2
    Sample 3
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/03/2008 at 04:37 PM.

I can tell you those pics are much better than what my 700w can do.Think about that camera with those brightness balance and features like the 700w/wx has, it could be even better. I guess they learned from the 700P.
    Wow Mal, looks like a helluva party!
    OH-IO!!!

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    lol, I'm 99% sure that was the Philosophy department's end of year party--that's our common sink room shared with them. I walked in there and was like "WTF?"

Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    I can tell you those pics are much better than what my 700w can do.Think about that camera with those brightness balance and features like the 700w/wx has, it could be even better. I guess they learned from the 700P.
    Agreed. The Centro is like that all around, better BT, better screen, better speakers, better camera, etc. Hopefully it all translates over to the 800w

Man that is like a decent weekend at where I go to Uni.