1.    #1  
    Guys I was searching for some solutions here and I didnt find anything....

I was about to update the Treo with the "Treo750_2_23_ROW_EN_DesktopUpdater.exe" update package. The Update stops with the attached message. Is there any other way how to get the update on the Treo? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (34.8 KB, 24 views)
    Last edited by ldr; 01/02/2008 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldr View Post
    Guys I was searching for some solutions here and I didnt find anything....

I was about to update the Treo with the "Treo750_2_23_ROW_EN_DesktopUpdater.exe" update package. The Update stops with the attached message. Is there any other way how to get the update on the Treo? Thanks
    This error usually means that you are using the "wrong" updater. It will appear if your device is carrier-branded and you try to update using a ROM released by another carrier or the generic ROM. If you download your carrier's offical ROM then it should work fine. (I.e. if your device is AT&T branded, you must use the AT&T updater).

There is a way around it - it is known as the "Bootloader method" and allows you to upgrade to any branded ROM. You should be able to find detailed instructions on the forums here or over at the XDA forums. Following is a brief description.

1. Unpack the EXE file that you have (using WinRAR or WinZIP) so that you can access all of the files inside it.
    2. One of these files will be named CHEEIMG_FW.nbh and is approx 83Mb in size. Copy this file over to the miniSD card of your Treo and rename it CHEEIMG.nbh. Note that your miniSD card must be formatted as FAT32.
    3. Put your device into "Bootloader" mode (press the button on the left side of the device while pressing the reset pin with your stylus).
    4. Follow the prompts.

At the end of the process your device will hard-reset and you will be on WM6.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. In fact I am using an unbranded 750. My Firmware btw. is 1.10-VFN. Very old indeed. Was an engineering Model from Palm.

Will the "Bootloader method" also upgrade the FW?
    I guess that might explain why the updater won't work for you.

Anyway, my understanding is that bootloader method will also upgrade the firmware which is essentially the radio ROM. Mine is 1.54.31.

BTW, this page on the XDA site advises that the Software version number is not updated when using the Bootloader method even though the software is obviously updated. I found this to be correct when I upgraded to the generic ROM. When I later upgraded to my carrier's offical ROM, I could see that the version number update happens right at the end after a reset via a script. You could probably hack this but in the end it is only a version number on a screen.

Good luck.
    BTW, I've attached a screen shot showing the version numbers I ended up with after upgrading to my carrier's WM6 ROM.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6.    #6  
    Thanks a lot. Will try that. One last ques:

Whats the difference between Software Version and Firmware Version?
    Current software Version in my Treo: Treo750-1.10-VFN
    Current firmware Version in my Treo: 1.54.00.00

After the update the software Version (as indicated in the Updater) should be 2.23.

I am not aware what the firmware version is supposed to be after the update.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yada Yada View Post
    BTW, I've attached a screen shot showing the version numbers I ended up with after upgrading to my carrier's WM6 ROM.
    Wow... you've got 2.26

Where do I get this one from. I thought 2.23 is the latest available version. However I will try the Bootloader stuff as soon as I find someone who can borrow me a MiniSD...
    Whats the difference between Software Version and Firmware Version?
    Current software Version in my Treo: Treo750-1.10-VFN
    Current firmware Version in my Treo: 1.54.00.00

After the update the software Version (as indicated in the Updater) should be 2.23.

I am not aware what the firmware version is supposed to be after the update.
    My understanding is that the software version reports the Windows Mobile version and that the firmware version reports the radio ROM (i.e. phone/data functions).

However as mentioned above, after updating using the bootloader method your software version will unfortunately not report itself as being 2.23 and will still show your current version number. However you will definitely be using v2.23 software - the splash screen will make that immediately evident, as will other WM6 features.

I'm not sure if the firmware version number will report itself as being updated either for the same reason. Nonetheless you will be on the latest version.

Wow... you've got 2.26

Where do I get this one from. I thought 2.23 is the latest available version. However I will try the Bootloader stuff as soon as I find someone who can borrow me a MiniSD...
    Version 2.26 is my carrier's official WM6 ROM. They were so late releasing it (Dec 18, 2007) compared with other carriers that I guess the version number was the latest one issued by Palm. You could try using this version on your device although to download it you need a serial number which I expect is also carrier-specific. The download page is here. Note that it also has carrier-specific CABs that get loaded such as features to access services such as payTV, account usage meters, etc.

I ran the generic 2.23 ROM for a while and did not notice any differences after upgrading to 2.26, so I believe it is just carrier mods.
  9.    #9  
    Cool then... I just bought a card and the update is running.... Lets see..... Thanks for your help.
  10.    #10  
    Update done. Took only some minutes. Cant see any difference so far and as you already indicated the version numbers did not change.
    Update done. Took only some minutes. Cant see any difference so far and as you already indicated the version numbers did not change.
    Great! The biggest difference is that the OS is much more stable and has much better call handling than WM5.

This page lists the visible differences, some of which are only accessible when working with Exchange 2007, and some which seem minor (Active Call buttons) but which help usability heaps.

BTW you can now also download the latest Mobile Office apps (Pocket Word, Excel & Powerpoint) from Microsoft (v6.1) which are free.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah makes sense. Just got me the Windows Update as you said: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
    I just got my Treo 750 (AT&T) today & am trying to update it to WM6. I downloaded the updater from the AT&T site & am running it. The filename is Treo750_2_25_ATT_EN_DesktopUpdater.exe.

I have ActiveSync installed & the Treo is connected via USB cable. ActiveSync works & shows green - it sees the Treo.

However, the updater does not. It gives me this error:

"Device Connection Failed. The USB connection was not successful. If your device is connected, please reconnect it and click Try Again."

I have disconnected & reconnected & even tried a different sync cable (from my old 650). No joy.

What is wrong?!?
    I think I've got it. I assumed that since I just got my phone today that it cane with ActiveSync 4.5, but it didn't. It came with 4.2.

Downloading 4.5 & will try again.