1.    #1  
    Sorry if this is old news but having not seen any Treo 750 rants on my brief perusal of this site I'd thought I'd start one. Speaking of which, where do I begin? Several reboots a day, after random freezes mostly related to phone and voicemail functions. Then there are the random no rings, missing voice mails ( maybe Cingular), random clock resets and screen popups from no where, during any function other than whatever the pop up relates to. Most irritating of all would have to be freezes of either all button functions or screen stylus functions, of course instigating one of the aformentioned battery reboots, usually at the morst possible time. I must say that, generally, email works like a champ which is the only reason I re upped with Palm after an equally horrible experience with my 650. My IT guru told me it was the only device that would reliably sync to our office server. I'm obviously not smart enough for this thing; just a 50 something year old exec trying to keep up with information on the go with no time to become a Treo Uber geek. Am I the only one who things they forgot to make this thing work as a cell phone when they stuffed everything else in it? Any thoughts as to quick fixes or, better yet, a reliable, cost effective alternative so I can ditch this $800 POS would be greatly appreciated. Just being able to get this off my chest helps.
    Thanks again.
    Last edited by sdavis0961; 12/31/2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: grammer
    yes, as a phone the 750 is severely lacking. if mine wasn't free from work it would be gone.
    Several reboots a day, after random freezes mostly related to phone and voicemail functions. Then there are the random no rings, missing voice mails ( maybe Cingular), random clock resets and screen popups from no where, during any function other than whatever the pop up relates to. Most irritating of all would have to be freezes of either all button functions or screen stylus functions, of course instigating one of the aformentioned battery reboots, usually at the morst possible time.
    My guess, based on your experiences, is that you have a bad unit. See if you can get it replaced. I've owned Treos [650 and 750] since they have been available, and while they've been a long way from perfect, they're also a long way from the nightmares you've described.
    Gimme the P-Funk!
    Just a suggestion, is the mentioned 750 running on WM5? I've had a lot of trouble with WM5 but with the WM6 rom the 750 is stable and reliable.

I'm using it everyday for short text messaging, exchange sync, phone calls, internet browsing .. and I have not discovered any real problem.

The 750 is, by now, the most stable, one hand usage optimized WM device I'ver used.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I agree that Palm should have thought the PHONE portion of the 750 package out before loading it up with everything else. After all, it is supposed to be a PHONE right???? Non ring, Poor/low speaker quality, short battery life, dropped calls (AT&T?). I cant wait for the Google software phones to start hitting. Other then that, I would say Blackberry would be a viable alternative.

WM6 did fix a few of the 750's bugs, but still not perfect. Is it too much to ask to have a product work as advertised out of the box without having to d/l patches and tweaks???
    Quote Originally Posted by b00001 View Post

.... After all, it is supposed to be a PHONE right???? Non ring, Poor/low speaker quality, short battery life, dropped calls (AT&T?). I cant wait for the Google software phones to start hitting. Other then that, I would say Blackberry would be a viable alternative.

WM6 did fix a few of the 750's bugs, but still not perfect. Is it too much to ask to have a product work as advertised out of the box without having to d/l patches and tweaks???
    I don't use any tweaks or patches, other than having the IE history & Co stored on my sd card and this has been done by sktools.

Even this reply is posted via the 750 and a few seconds ago, I was interrupted from a phone call and recieved two Emails via push.

The 750 is being used on the german vodafone network and I do softrest may be every 2 Month or so - 'cause WM OS do loose ram by time, but the 750 is still working.

Rom:
    WM6 Vodafone Germany
    3rd party software:
    Sktools
    enAlarm PPC
    SPB Weather
    MagiKB Lite
    Total Commander
    TomTom
    (Navigation nearly every day)
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    My experience has been different. My 750 is the best phone I have used and has excellent voice quality and battery life. It does not crash. The WM6 upgrade makes it even better.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Excellent battery life, you say? Someone needs to explain to me how. Even after the WM6 upgrade, my battery life is crap. It may even be worse than it was with WM5. Sure, I get push e-mail from my corporate exchange server as it arrives and I check one POP account each hour for e-mail, but I'm not really a heavy IM or Messaging user (maybe a couple a day). If I receive 20 or so e-mail, one text message, 2 or 3 e-mails an hour on the POP account and talk on the phone for 45 minutes overall, my battery is less than 40% in under 8 hours.

Guess how much fun this is when you need to get an early flight and work until late? Heck, I almost need a battery pack on my waist.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlevin View Post
    Excellent battery life, you say? Someone needs to explain to me how. Even after the WM6 upgrade, my battery life is crap. It may even be worse than it was with WM5. Sure, I get push e-mail from my corporate exchange server as it arrives and I check one POP account each hour for e-mail, but I'm not really a heavy IM or Messaging user (maybe a couple a day). If I receive 20 or so e-mail, one text message, 2 or 3 e-mails an hour on the POP account and talk on the phone for 45 minutes overall, my battery is less than 40% in under 8 hours.

Guess how much fun this is when you need to get an early flight and work until late? Heck, I almost need a battery pack on my waist.
    Turn your auto check for the POP account off. It doesn't matter how much time you put in there as a check time, it kills the battery. Turn it off and just check it manually when you feel like it. You will see better battery life. I did this, but still am not happy with the battery. How do these people use Tom Tom on this thing? by the time you get to your destination, it has to be about dead.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I agree with Jazzi, you probably have a bad unit and should ask for a warrantee replacement. My original 750 had a few to many dropped calls (with WM5) so I got a replacement. Since then, I have no issues with the phone. I was not unhappy with WM5 other than no HSDPA and WM6 has been a great improvement.

I have always had very good voice quality and reception quality from the phone. I get excellent battery life and I do use TomTom without draining the battery. My battery life is helped some by the Seideo replacement battery (33% more power than the OEM version).

One last thought for the OP. You mentioned the lack of griping about the phone. That is not really true. A small but vocal minority were griping a lot about the phone before WM6 came out. I think the fact you are not seeing those gripes recently should only reinforce teh view you probably have a bad unit.
    I'm another happy Treo 750 user. I've used two other WM/PPC phone devices prior to this one and have found the Treo 750 the best by far.

However I did experience phone problems out of the box with WM5, e.g. missed calls, calls not connecting when I press the answer button, delays in the call connecting when pressing the answer button, but all of them were solved with the WM6 upgrade. Battery has never been a problem and I use my device quite heavily.

I would suggest you upgrade to WM6 and if that doesn't fix it, you must have a faulty unit or your carrier's ROM really sucks. In which case try using the Generic ROM.
    Mine is just fine. I think I would check the USER interface.. emphasis on USER, but then again I am sure you would not even notice a problem.
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    That definitely sounds like a bad unit to me. My Treo 750 works quite well and has none of the errors described here like random reboots, missing voicemails, and calls that don't ring. I would take that up as a warranty replace for certain!
    I agree as well. Sounds like a bad unit. Happened to me a couple of times when the 650 was the one to have. XBM it through AT&T, and if you get another bad one, insist on a FULL KIT replacement. Has worked for me plenty of times. Good luck!
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

15. Me2
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    The biggest battery life improvement you can make is to turn off 3G. It sucks battery big style, and not just on the Treo. If you're syncing email in the background you don't need it anyway.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    The biggest battery life improvement you can make is to turn off 3G. It sucks battery big style, and not just on the Treo. If you're syncing email in the background you don't need it anyway.

I agree with this one big time. It has made a huge difference for me. Also with dropped call rate as well. I guess I am in a somewhat sketchy 3G zone and so whenever my phone struggles with the signal I get a dropped call. Switching to full time GSM eliminates that entirely. There are still certian areas, but I can make it to and from work now and will not drop a call where I was dropping 1-3 times each way on 3G.
    please tell me how to turn off g3 for better battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by esamett View Post
    please tell me how to turn off g3 for better battery life
    Settings -> Phone -> Services tab -> Band Selection

Set Network Type to GSM. Tap OK to save.
    lifes2short, Thank you for that! I've been constantly clicking the "G" and "U" to disconnect manually to save my battery, which is eternally in short supply.
    How much more battery life does the 1600mah battery add, with 3G on?