Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Who gets it first?

WCK
    Sprint. VZW never gets a phone first anymore.
    OH-IO!!!
    Current Record: 1-2 in BCS Championships Current Rank: #5
    Next Game: 8/30 - Youngstown State

Formerly "Tre-i-e-i-o"
    Former Treo owner (iPhone 3G baby!)
    Earlier this year and last Verizon seem to get everything first. Sprint may be on the first bandwagon lately and may be the one to get the 800w first but to say one over the other isn't a good answer. When it comes to who gets what first they both seem to change like the tide.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wckesq View Post
    Who gets it first?

WCK
    Let's see...eenie meenie miny moe....caught Verizon by its toe......its Verizon!!!
    Only thing Verizon has been getting a lot of lately is dumbphones.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Only thing Verizon has been getting a lot of lately is dumbphones.
    True, but one can only dream!!!
    i dont think verizon wants the phones first anymore. look at the luck they have had with say the 700w and what not. this is why they waited so long on the 755p and 6800. they dont want the beta versions anymore.

that's fine. i'm with sprint and dont mine beta testing. i dont like having last years model when a carrier finally releases them.

my guess is sprint gets it first
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i dont think verizon wants the phones first anymore. look at the luck they have had with say the 700w and what not. this is why they waited so long on the 755p and 6800. they dont want the beta versions anymore.

that's fine. i'm with sprint and dont mine beta testing. i dont like having last years model when a carrier finally releases them.
    my guess is sprint gets it first
    Highlighted above is the reason why carriers want to be the first. People want the latest and greatest and will flock to whom ever has it. I don't believe Verizon wants to be trailing Sprint in releases. There are too many suckers out there and on this forum to bet being a beta tester is not a worry for the carrier. The only gamble would be if the device does have alot of issues and the amount of money that will have to be eaten on people returning devices for new ones.
    at&t iPhone3G
    My verizon contract is up in 9 days. The only way they can keep my business is by announcing the imminent arrival of the 800w. I'm not holding my breath, and I'm amazingly disappointed that 2 years after purchasing the 700w, there's not an obvious upgrade from palm to be excited about. My best palm option would be the 750 on at&t, but that's really just a memory upgrade. I guess it's an OS upgrade now, too, but it still feels like just a memory upgrade. That's frustrating.

If Verizon pulls off a miracle in the next week or two, I'll be ecstatic. But I'm already looking for my next carrier, and I'm really not impressed by sprint around here. Such dilemmas...
    The problem is there is no M6 Pro QWERTYBAR upgrade released by anyone yet.

We stand waiting for....

Palm Treo 800w
    HP IPAQ 900
    IMATE 8502

Regards
    graylion
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kopper View Post
    My verizon contract is up in 9 days. The only way they can keep my business is by announcing the imminent arrival of the 800w...........Such dilemmas...
    There's no WAY under the sun that VZW will announce an upcoming phone except just immediately prior to its release. Rumors and other sources on the Internet are your only way to know. Why not listen to Consumer Reports...ratings from users show tht VZW is unbeatable in signal and customer service. Who're you gonna call?? Anyhow, aside from its shape and design, I doubt that the 800w will be any better than the XV6800 which is available now. Except of course, if "unlocked" GPS is available on the 800w. I think I'm going to sit it out for the next few months for VZW to come out with a Win-Mob smartphone with GPS, at least VZ Navigator. Have to see how it goes. Geez, these phones have some problem or other. I tried, on 2 separate units of Samsung i760, to run yahoo Go 2.0 and the program crashed on both the phones. Did run on the xv6800. Both are Win-Mob phones. Can't figure that out. I'm not buying a Smartphone until it can do Google maps with GPS assist and can run Yahoo Go.
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    There's no WAY under the sun that VZW will announce an upcoming phone except just immediately prior to its release. Rumors and other sources on the Internet are your only way to know. Why not listen to Consumer Reports...ratings from users show tht VZW is unbeatable in signal and customer service. Who're you gonna call?? Anyhow, aside from its shape and design, I doubt that the 800w will be any better than the XV6800 which is available now. Except of course, if "unlocked" GPS is available on the 800w. I think I'm going to sit it out for the next few months for VZW to come out with a Win-Mob smartphone with GPS, at least VZ Navigator. Have to see how it goes. Geez, these phones have some problem or other. I tried, on 2 separate units of Samsung i760, to run yahoo Go 2.0 and the program crashed on both the phones. Did run on the xv6800. Both are Win-Mob phones. Can't figure that out. I'm not buying a Smartphone until it can do Google maps with GPS assist and can run Yahoo Go.
    Roger
    Consumer reports and unbeatable signal and CS have nothing to do with who is getting the 800w first.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Roger

The xv6800/Mogul has serious memory issues (64MB RAM is simply not enough for WM6). Palm has learned their lesson with the 700w memory disaster so I think its highly likely that at least as far as memory goes, the 800w will be superior to the 6800. Being an experienced PPC user, I understand and know how to manage the memory on the 6800 so that it doesn't crash on me but I'm still definitely not able to use my device the way I want to. It is because of this memory issue on the 6800 that I cannot wait to trade in my 6800 for a 800w whenever it is released.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I have my Mogul. Nothing wrong with it. No memory problem here.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    Consumer reports and unbeatable signal and CS have nothing to do with who is getting the 800w first.
    And I did NOT relate the two, if you read my post carefully. You said you were going to quit VZW if they didn't come out and say **now** as to whether they are going to release an 800w. And I was just suggesting that 1. Don't quit VZW. 2. VZW isn't going to tell you.
    Roger
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I have my Mogul. Nothing wrong with it. No memory problem here.
    Good for you. That doesn't change the fact that the 6800 still has a severe memory problem. This issue is so well-documented, its not even debatable as to whether or not the 6800 has memory issues (its like someone trying to tell you the sky isn't blue). I'm not saying that everyone who has a 6800 is going to run out of RAM, but for the real power users out there, 64MB RAM for WM6 Pro just won't cut it. Take a look at the pdaphonehome or ppcgeeks 6800 forums and it will be quite easy to see the number of threads discussing low memory issues with the 6800. Even Sprint has an official FAQ up with one of the questions as to why they didn't include more memory in the Mogul. If there wasn't a low memory issue, I doubt they would have included that in the FAQ.
    Can't comment on the Mogul, but the Touch has no memory problems...got plenty to spare. Will the 800w be so lucky?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Can't comment on the Mogul, but the Touch has no memory problems...got plenty to spare. Will the 800w be so lucky?
    Exactly. Sprint/HTC learned their lesson with the Mogul so they included 128MB RAM on the Touch (double that of the Mogul) and thus why the Touch doesn't have any low memory issues. Palm has learned their lesson with the 700w low memory disaster so I think its a pretty safe bet to say the 800w will not suffer from low memory issues.
    Last edited by Marty1781; 01/02/2008 at 01:57 AM.
    PDAPhoneHome Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    By Sprint's own words, yes it will.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter