Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    OK, I am going to throw my 2c out here, for what it is worth.

I have been a Treo user for about 4 years now, starting with a 600, then a 650, then a 680. Great stuff. But, the OS was slow and could never handle 3G, so it was time to move on.

Hated the Tilt and Tytn (had both, Tytn about a year or so ago). Nice phones, but the Treo ease of use becomes VERY addictive. And that sliding keybaord sucked on the Tytn/Tilt So, I returned the Tilt and got a Treo 750.

Got the phone prepped and installed the WM6 upgrade from Palm. Wow..worked fast, great graphics considering the res on the 750, etc. But, then in a few days, I discovered I could not access my online banking! It has to do with proxy settings and such that MS/AT&T installed. And there was no way around it, according to Palm. I was pissed, but said, ok, I can always make a phone call to see how broke I am (smile!)

I went to set up the auto-pickup - well, it's not in the 750! Palm had no explaination as to why. I really liked that feature on my 600 series phones. So, I was pissed again.

I found phoneAlarm, and tried it - would not work on my phone AT ALL - ZILCH! Nothing - nada. Removed it, installed sPB's phone suite - well, it worked sort of, the autoanswer works great - except for a "feature" that MS included in WM6...

It seems that they feel that even if you are wearing a BT headset and it is active, you must want to use the handset if you answer the phone using the handset button! If you wanted to use the BT headset, then you would press the button on the headset - WHAT FLIPPIN' ***** AT MS MADE THAT STUPID DECISION?

I was fed up, tired of being less than satisfied with my phone - hell the 680was slow, but at least it worked! In the end, I returned the 750 that had been flashed with WM6 and got an older, WM5 version - and wow, everything works right! I can access my online banking, the phone software I added works; and with the hack, I have HSDPA speed, although I really would like the HSDPA symbol up there...I can live with that!

I guess the moral of the story is if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Be VERY VERY careful of upgrading to WM6...it is not pretty!

Tom
    of course you wont get much argument from me as back on dec 8th, I started a thread called:

"Tried WM6, gone back to WM5..."

which you can view here.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=157593

I am surprised at your issues about banking web sites. WM6 has the proxy manager, so you can fix that from a program on the programs list. WM5 requires a registry hack to not use the AT&T proxy ???
  3. WHH
    I have the treo 750 and it works great with WM5. I use hotmail and with WM5 it beeps and shows on my today screen that I have mail. The activesync works great using Outlook with Bluetooth. Using a Bluetooth and the 750 as a modem works great. My main questions are does hotmail work as good on WM6 as WM5. If not could you explain how it does work on WM6? This forum has been great and I appreciate the help.

Will
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I have no problems answering calls using the button on my BT headset with WM6. Generally everything works better for me with WM6 - haven't had a crash once, whereas with WM5 it would crash every week or so.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The BT worked really well...EXCEPT for the button issue. Have someone call your phone with the headset active, and press the answer button on the PHONE...you will see that it answers, but the audio is directed to the PHONE, not the headset. A real pain, because the programs out there that give us auto-answer electronically push the button on the phone - they worked, but with the audio redirected to the phone instead of the headset, it kind of defeats the purpose.

If the software authors could fool the phone into thinking the pickup order came from the headset instead of the handset, that would probebly work...but until then...

Regarding the proxy issue, I could not make the banking issues go away even with the hacks suggested in the forum; but, when I went back to WM5, everything worked fine. Plam acknowledged that they have an issue with this (Bank of America, Wells Fargo and others), but do not have a fix yet.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Tom
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    u r right, pressing the ans button on phone directs the audio to the phone but pressing the bt headset button directs the audio to bt headset...
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ...I lve WM6. I miss a couple of the upgrade features, such as the faster refresh and responsiveness, but, for all the hassles I had with it, I am glad to be back to WM5.

And to the person asking about Hotmail on it...I have no clue, I use regular email addresses, not those public systems...too restrictive for my taste, not to mention privacy concerns. Sorry I could not help ya out on that one!
    Tom McElvy
    Va Beach VA USA

Treo 650 --> Treo 680 --> Treo 750 WM6 --> Treo 750 WM5 -> WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    I have no problems answering calls using the button on my BT headset with WM6. Generally everything works better for me with WM6 - haven't had a crash once, whereas with WM5 it would crash every week or so.
    What BT headset are you using?

I have the BT answer issue also with my Plantronics 650... I know that other people have this issue, also... I am starting to wonder if it is headset brand dependent.

PM
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I have the Jabra 5020, but I spoke with Palm about this after trying several headsets -it is a design of WM6. If the software "sees" the button press on the PHONE, it routes the call to the phone; if the signal comes from the headset, it routes the audio to the headset. Pretty stupid if you ask me, I often will look at my phone to check the caller ID, and if I want the call, I can just press the button with my thumb - well, I USED to anyway. This sort of reasoning is why I am beginning to really hate Microsoft - no choice, just do what they say. Sounds Orwellian to me....
    Tom McElvy
    Va Beach VA USA

Treo 650 --> Treo 680 --> Treo 750 WM6 --> Treo 750 WM5 -> WM6 -> Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Meister View Post
    What BT headset are you using?
    Aliph Jawbone. But I didn't try using the phone's button to answer the call, which I gather is what the complaint is about. There ought to be an easy way to switch the behavior and I can understand the gripes.
    Just wondering how anyone, that has done the downgrade from WM6 back to WM5, has been able to install the "audio alert update"? I'm assuming everyone has used the SD ROM loading trick, and that no-one has a desktop loader. Since the SD method leaves the ROM version number at 2.25, the audio alert cab won't load.
    I guess I am the odd one out here! WM6 has been heaps better than WM5for me!

My Treo runs on the Telstra (Australia) network and suffered from poor call connection with WM5 - e.g. after pressing the answer button, 4 seconds until call was connected, frequent drop-outs, etc.

Under WM6 this was all fixed, and the device now runs much faster, very stable, etc.

I guess the WM5/WM6 question all comes down to the way carriers change their ROMs. Telstra's WM5 ROM was poor, but they've taken a lot of time to release the WM6 ROM (it came out Dec 18th) and it is very solid.
    I also use the Jawbone with WM6.

If I answer by pressing the button on the phone, it routes to my headset with no issues. Unless I tell it otherwise, it ALWAYS answers on my BT headset.

No clue why the Jawbone does not seem to be susceptible to this "feature", but I'm glad!

Maybe it's the ROM? (Running unbranded ROM on Cingular device)
    Last edited by fastlerner; 01/07/2008 at 03:57 PM.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    I am wondering if someone might come up with a hack to restore the old BT behavior for those of us who preferred the old way of answering with the headset.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Meister View Post
    I am wondering if someone might come up with a hack to restore the old BT behavior for those of us who preferred the old way of answering with the headset.

PM
    for the less intuitive, that is a hint!