Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Running WM6, the first, unbranded version. Have had no probs with it. Now though I am getting email errors (mem crit. low) and the Treo is sluggish.

Under Memory, looking at the "Storage" Section it shows:
    Total 57MB
    In use: 54MB
    Free 3.26

??????????? How?

Under "Program Memory"
    Total 48MB
    In use 27
    Free 21MB

I have nothing Stored on the device. I have a Storage card and I have pics on it. That is it. I have deleted ALL emails from inbox, sent box, and deleted box. Emails are empty.

Only other app I have on there is google maps, and Opera browser.

I have browsed to find any temp files or other files that were wasted space. Can't find anything.

Anyone run into this before, any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Did you try the "Find large files using storage memory" link at the bottom of the Main memory tab? How many programs are running?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    Did you try the "Find large files using storage memory" link at the bottom of the Main memory tab? How many programs are running?
    That is the first thing I did. It pulls up a handful of very small files, then lists all my pics that are on the storage card. Next to the picture card files is the icon that shows those files are on the storage card. Useless.
    Probably email.

Try completely backing up your email and then delete all accounts. See if the space comes back, and doesn't get eaten up again. If so, you have an email problem.

If that doesn't work, download and install the free trial of Resco Explorer. You can find large folders and things with this excellent utility.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I have looked via the treo's own file explorer. Has anyone found any non-necessary files/folders that can be deleted to add to memory storage?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    You can also try pmClean, a valuable and free utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwallersv View Post
    Probably email.

Try completely backing up your email and then delete all accounts. See if the space comes back, and doesn't get eaten up again. If so, you have an email problem.

If that doesn't work, download and install the free trial of Resco Explorer. You can find large folders and things with this excellent utility.
    In addition, Resco will allow you to show all Hidden files, just in case your email isn't the culprit. If you've received plenty of email with attachments, check in the My Documents folder to tally up what's killing your storage memory.
    Here are some tips as best I remember:

- In WM6 Email set storage of attachments to your sd card.
    - If you do not have a sd card get one.
    - Use phone tweak program or memory program like sktools or memory maid.
    01. Set your internet explorer history and cachie to the sd card
    02. Set ring tones to sd card
    - Go into picture and options set the default to the sd card.
    - watch the sms and mms they actually build up quick under windows/messenging. I delete these files on a regular basis.
    [Edit]
    - Move Google Maps to the SD Card. Even when you choose to install to the sd it installs to the main memory.

There are some more advanced thing like coping zero size files and overwriting files you do not really need. But this is a good start.

There is also a free Tree program you can download that lists all directories on your device and card and shows you the mb, very handy (treesize.arm).

I also install Resco and the Resco today plug in. I use the smilies and only show battery, memory and storage. I keep a close eye on these.

Hope that helps

Regards
    Last edited by graylion; 12/24/2007 at 02:57 AM.
    graylion
    Google maps

Move it to the storage card. Especially if you are using it with a GPS device. If you are, it constantly refreshes the local map from the web, since as you move, google maps is retrieving the new map edges. It doesn't do a very good job of releasing memory, and given that WM doesn't really "close" applications, google maps can leave a lot of info clogging up memory.

I had this same issue when using google maps and driving across the state. I moved google maps to the storage card and haven't had the problem recur.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Awesome info! Thanks all.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoconvert View Post
    Google maps

Move it to the storage card. Especially if you are using it with a GPS device. If you are, it constantly refreshes the local map from the web, since as you move, google maps is retrieving the new map edges. It doesn't do a very good job of releasing memory, and given that WM doesn't really "close" applications, google maps can leave a lot of info clogging up memory.

I had this same issue when using google maps and driving across the state. I moved google maps to the storage card and haven't had the problem recur.
    That is correct, great tip, I forgot!

Regards
    graylion
    I agree with everything above, but also note that Opera is a pig on memory. It is a great piece of software, but it uses up a lot of memory, so make sure you have it installed on the SD card (assuming you have one). Remember that Opera will use a cache that will take up space. If you install it on the SD card, the cache gets put there, also.

Additionally, look into getting something like Magic Button (freeware) or SPB Pocket Tools that will give you a real close button. By default, the Treo really does not close out programs, as Treoconvert points out above.

Another place to look for big files in main memory is in the Application Data folder. This is where a lot of info like caches gets put.

PM