1.    #1  
    I had a message from AT&T on my phone yesterday saying WM6 is now available for AT&T. I'm tempted to upgrade, but my company hasn't 'sanctioned' the upgrade yet (and it'll probably take them a year or two to do so) and certainly hasn't done any preparation on their end to my knowledge (not sure if any is needed). Would upgrading to WM6 break my 750's WM5 connectivity with my company's Exchange servers? (I currently receive e-mails, appointments, etc. via my 750's WM5 configuration with no issues.)

I read that it would NOT be possible/easy to go back to WM5 after applying the update, so I'm very afraid to do this if I will lose connectivity for business purposes. On the other hand, I'm so frustrated at WM5's quirks that I'd really like to reap the benefits of the upgrade if it won't mean breaking connectivity for work e-mail/appointments. Should I go ahead, or is this as risky as it feels? (I have wrote down as many settings as I can find for our work network/servers in ActiveSync. Wonder if there are certificates or other settings I'd need?)
    my company uses a "GOOD" email (push) server, and I am the only person in my firm that has upgraded to WM6. I have no problems. Our IT department didn't even tell me not to do it when I mentioned that I was considering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinrjohnson View Post
    I had a message from AT&T on my phone yesterday saying WM6 is now available for AT&T. I'm tempted to upgrade, but my company hasn't 'sanctioned' the upgrade yet (and it'll probably take them a year or two to do so) and certainly hasn't done any preparation on their end to my knowledge (not sure if any is needed). Would upgrading to WM6 break my 750's WM5 connectivity with my company's Exchange servers? (I currently receive e-mails, appointments, etc. via my 750's WM5 configuration with no issues.)

I read that it would NOT be possible/easy to go back to WM5 after applying the update, so I'm very afraid to do this if I will lose connectivity for business purposes. On the other hand, I'm so frustrated at WM5's quirks that I'd really like to reap the benefits of the upgrade if it won't mean breaking connectivity for work e-mail/appointments. Should I go ahead, or is this as risky as it feels? (I have wrote down as many settings as I can find for our work network/servers in ActiveSync. Wonder if there are certificates or other settings I'd need?)
    I run an IT department and multiple Exchange servers. I find WM6 quicker and more aggressive at detecting and restoring lost connectivity in ActiveSync. I require all new phones to run it in my company. Good luck if you decide to upgrade!
    If wm5 worked with your exchange server, so will WM6. It will just have to be set up again. I wouldn't worry about that
    mtiberio, what version of goodlink are you running? And are you using a Treo 750?

Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattycerts View Post
    If wm5 worked with your exchange server, so will WM6. It will just have to be set up again. I wouldn't worry about that
    Thanks - that's what I was wondering. What are all the settings I will need to write down? Are there any special 'certificates' or anything else that needs to be installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by navinrjohnson View Post
    Thanks - that's what I was wondering. What are all the settings I will need to write down? Are there any special 'certificates' or anything else that needs to be installed?
    Most IT departments require SSL for ActiveSync, thus you'd need the 1 or 2 certificates in order to configure ActiveSync again. You'll want to look at your ActiveSync, hit Menu, then Server Configuration, and look to see if Use SSL is checked. Your IT department would possibly have your .cer files copied to your My Documents or your Storage Card, if they were wise, so you'll want to find them and copy them to Storage Card before you upgrade. After you upgrade, you have to tap on the certificates first to install them, then reconfigure ActiveSync.

If you aren't running with SSL, then you need only write down your ActiveSync Server Configuration Settings before you upgrade and reconfigure Activesync after the ROM upgrade.
    Last edited by SnoBoarder; 12/22/2007 at 06:10 PM.
  8.    #8  
    SnoBoarder - Thanks.

SSL *is* checked, and I have at least ten root certificates installed, but I can't seem to find any .cer files on the device. Is there a way to get them off the device? If not, it seems as thought I won't be able to do this upgrade without getting our IT dept. involved, which basically means I'll be without WM6 for at least 4-6 months.
    Last edited by navinrjohnson; 12/22/2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Did more research
    You can get the Server Certificate by logging in to your company's Outlook Web Access, Click on the Lock Icon to the right of the URL in Internet Explorer 7, View Certificates, Details, Copy to File, accept all Defaults and name it server.cer or somthing and save it to your Desktop. Then you need to double click on it with your PC, click on the Tab called Certification Path and look at the entry at the top to determine where it came from. If it came from Verisign or similar, you only need this 1 certificate file and you can copy it to your Storage Card.

If your IT department generated the certificate themselves, then you may be able to click on the Issuer and chooose View Certificate, and repeat the process of copying the Issuer Certificate to file. This will give you both the Issuer Certificate and Server Certificate that you would need.

I would consider getting approval from your IT department if at all possible because you may need their help if you can't regain Push Email after the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by scubaduba View Post
    mtiberio, what version of goodlink are you running? And are you using a Treo 750?

Thanks
    Treo 750 running official 2.25 (although I had no problems with various 2.23 ROMS). The GetGood cab is titled: "GetGoodLinkPPC2005.cab". It is the same one that I used when I had WM5.

about under preferences shows:
    "Good Mobile Messaging v4.9.3.21_EN"
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoBoarder View Post
    ...click on the Tab called Certification Path and look at the entry at the top to determine where it came from. If it came from Verisign or similar, you only need this 1 certificate file and you can copy it to your Storage Card.

If your IT department generated the certificate themselves, then you may be able to click on the Issuer and chooose View Certificate, and repeat the process of copying the Issuer Certificate to file. This will give you both the Issuer Certificate and Server Certificate that you would need.
    Thanks Snoboarder. Great instruction! After exporting to a DER .cer file, when I click View Certificate, here's what I see from the top:

UTN - USERFirst-Hardware
    |_ Network Solutions Certificate Authority
    |_*.mycompany.com

Does this seem to indicate my company IT generated the certificate? If so, where do I click on the issuer to view the certificate and copy to a file?
    That is most definately a purchased certificate and I'm fairly confident you already have a trusted root certificate for Network Solutions built in. I can't advise you on a go or no go because I wouldn't want you to be without service but from a distant view, it appears you have what you need.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoBoarder View Post
    That is most definately a purchased certificate and I'm fairly confident you already have a trusted root certificate for Network Solutions built in. I can't advise you on a go or no go because I wouldn't want you to be without service but from a distant view, it appears you have what you need.
    Thanks again Snoboarder. My only lingering concern is that when I double-click on the .cer file I created from my PC, it reports that it is valid until Feb. 2008. Yet when I look at the root certificates on my WM5 device, I don't see anything that expires in Feb 2008 (the certs there expire in 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2028.) Does this make sense? I guess I would have expected to see one on my WM5 device called "Network Solutions" with an expiration date in Feb. '08, but I see nothing called "Network Solutions", nor anything set to expire in Feb 2008.