Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    C'mon Surur...
    • Why does my 700wx have 42mb free RAM
    This is extremely easy to answer - they just added 32 MB RAM to to the paltry 32 MB of the 700w.

No mystery there.

After outsourcing their WM talent you think they will go to the same effort again?

I had this conversation after the 700w release, and no-one believed me then either. Palm does unbelievably stupid things all the time.

For some reason you have not learned to expect the worse from Palm yet? Why is that?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    This is extremely easy to answer - they just added 32 MB RAM to to the paltry 32 MB of the 700w.

No mystery there.

After outsourcing their WM talent you think they will go to the same effort again?

I had this conversation after the 700w release, and no-one believed me then either. Palm does unbelievably stupid things all the time.
    Where has it been said that they "outsourced their WM talent"--link please?
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    For some reason you have not learned to expect the worse from Palm yet? Why is that?

Surur
    Two reasons
    • I'm very happy with the 700wx--more so than the 6700, 6800 and Moto Q
    • I'm very happy (even unexpectedly so) with the Centro, which turned out to be quite the success, despite all the predictions from here at TC, including yourself

So it's hard for me to expect the "worse" from Palm when they have given me two devices (three if you count the 650) that I've been pleased with and HTC giving me none. As a company, they made huge blunders, but as an end-user I'm pleased. As you say, no mystery there. Palm is like MS--they do a lot wrong, but when they get it right, they really nail it. Five friends have switched to the Centro, while only 2 are using WM devices.

Had you actually owned a Palm device, you may be in a better position to judge.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Had you actually owned a Palm device, you may be in a better position to judge.
    My first PDA was a Palm. I outgrew those 2 MB pretty rapidly, and finding the flash ROM was actually not, but REAL ROM, and therefore non-upgradeable, was not the first time Palm disappointed me.

Surur
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I sincerely hope it has a far better processor than the Mogul. The mogul was so slow...
    Better processor doen't always translate to faster speed for WM. It largely depends on the availalbe memory and the applications you are running. WM is certainly powerful if it's equipped with more RAM and faster processor, but application developers need to make the programs more efficient to take advantages of what the newer WM has to offer.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    As we talk about more RAM we also need to consider battery life as the two are directly tied together.

Has anyone heard antthing re the size of the battery or a rated talk time?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    "at least 40MB free RAM" is a step backwards from the wx at worst and a parallel at best. IMO, there is NO excuse to pack a device with the 800's level of hype with 64MB base RAM. That's cheap and harkens back to the days of the 700w.

I find the wx's 49MB free RAM to be too little a few times a day. Now if they put WM6 on top of the same base free RAM total, it would be disappointing to say the least. I'm hoping for 128 RAM w/ 70-80+ free so that you can truly multitask, even with large apps. But I have a feeling I will be disappointed...
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreaky View Post
    I sincerely hope it has a far better processor than the Mogul. The mogul was so slow...
    I had the Mogul and agree, it was a slow device. Even now, with the Touch, I sometimes have to soft reset because it tends to run sluggish. I dont have it bogged down with a bunch of 3rd party apps either.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    If this thing doesnt come with mini USB, then its another cord to bring along!

I dont have any memory problems with my Mogul. Dont be so fancy and keep everything open!
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I dont have any memory problems with my Mogul. Dont be so fancy and keep everything open!
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I have my Mogul. Nothing wrong with it. No memory problem here.
    As Marty1781 mentioned, it's great it works for you. But the question about the Mogul's memory being too little is not up for debate as Sprint admitted in their forums that it was a poor choice and that it is not enough, hence why the Touch has more memory.

This is also why any suggestions by our forum members that the 800w will have too little memory (or as little as the Mogul) is complete folly as Sprint is now aware of what the minimum is for WM6 in their devices (128mb) and will not have anything less for future ones.

So there are two things we can learn from this quote from Sprint and that are not really up for debate, imo:
    • Mogul has too little memory/HTC & Sprint screwed up
    • Sprint will not allow the same mistake in the future, ergo the 800w will have at least 128mb of RAM and possibly 256mb

4) Why was the Mogul not provided with more memory?

The amount of standard memory on the Mogul was consistent with standard memory allocations for devices at the time it was developed. However, the development timeline was extended when the OS was changed from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6 and during that time memory standards increased. We understand the demand for additional memory and have started to increase the amount of RAM in newer devices. The Touch by HTC was recently launched and includes 128MB RAM and 256MB ROM.
    (source)
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/31/2007 at 05:22 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Memory is so cheap now that unless there are battery life issues there is no excuse not to fit at least 128MB RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Memory is so cheap now that unless there are battery life issues there is no excuse not to fit at least 128MB RAM.
    I think that probably no one buys SD cards with less than 512MB anymore. I remember buying three Motorola V3i's some time ago, before reaching the US officially, and they each included a 256MB microSD card.

I think that smartphones should come packed with 256MB, or more, of ROM and RAM.
    I do not know for a fact, but I have heard rumormill, that 64m of memory is why Sprint would not certify the 800w. Palm is supposedly adding more to top out at 128m. That was why it was pushed to 1Q-08, from 4Q-07.
    Matty
    Quote Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post
    I think that smartphones should come packed with 256MB, or more, of ROM and RAM.
    Sorry guys. I don't understand why people wants more internal storage (ROM). Regardless how big is the ROM, people always buy a memory card to fill up the slot. Of course, more RAM will improve the performance of the device.
    Contacts, Calender, notes, emails
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Sorry guys. I don't understand why people wants more internal storage (ROM). Regardless how big is the ROM, people always buy a memory card to fill up the slot. Of course, more RAM will improve the performance of the device.
    That makes no sense at all. Programs run better (i.e. quicker and less buggy) when run directly from internal memory. Hell, some programs can't even run off of SD cards (although that is less and less the case now). I also find that the lower I have of internal memory left the more sluggish my WM5 device becomes. I haven't benchmarked these results or anything but I can definitely see it happening and that is my best indicator (which is why I routinely clear PIE cache and remove unused proggies).

So both matter for performance, not just RAM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12