Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    So I've spent a lot of time researching this whole live search with gps thing. I didn't even know about live search on the 700w/wx until tonight when finally getting back on this forum and have downloaded to my phone and love it except for the fact that the gps doesn't work. Now from what I understand from all of you guys posting on here is that I need to buy a gps reciever from a place like buygpsnow.com. The question I is still have after doing some research is do you guys feel like using the reciever with live search functions the same as say a tom tom. I am not in the market to buy a gps unit right now and would love to have it on my phone. I'm not even concerned about buying an additional part if it's that simple. Is that all you have to do after you have live search is buy a gps receiver and live search uses it instantly or is there more stuff to buy and hook up. Also I have the unlimited data plan through sprint so I imagine that using the gps won't cost anything extra?
    Last edited by aerajan; 12/20/2007 at 09:45 PM.
    ok so I guess I can take the blame for hijacking this thread a little bit, which has led to aerajan's question, so the least I can do is answer his question.

Using a Bluetooth GPS receiver along with a free app like Live Search isn't <exactly> the same as using something like Tom Tom or Garmin, etc, but it's pretty darn close I must say (esp since Live Search shows you your distance to the next turn, which is really important, and also has a nice little directional arrow showing you and which way you're headed). The one MAIN difference that those products like Tom Tom, etc give you is audible turn by turn. That alone may kill this thing for you - it doesn't, for me.

At any rate - here are the instructions for setting up GPS along with both Google Maps and Live Search:

(use your device browser to get these apps over the air)

Windows Live Search (700wx only):

http://wls.live.com

This application, called Windows Live Search for Mobile, is a very well-designed application that leverages the power of the Windows Live Local service. It offers four components: categorical-based searching, aerial and road mapping, driving direction searching, and traffic information.

Here's an overview of the application, from Pocket PC Thoughts:

http://pocketpcthoughts.com/articles...n=expand,52745

Google Maps, for both Windows Mobile and Palm OS:

http://www.google.com/gmm

Google Maps for Mobile is very similar to Windows Live Search, and runs on the Palm OS as well as Windows Mobile:

Go to these websites ON YOUR DEVICE BROWSER, and download each application over the air. Again, these are device applications that reside ON THE DEVICE. Much better than just browsing to Mapquest, etc.

Both of these apps give you mapping info, traffic info, business search, directions, satellite views, etc. They're both well-designed to maximize the one-handed aspect of the Treo (you won't need the stylus at all!).

How to get GPS working on the 700wx with these free apps:

These instructions will walk though the steps you need to get your Windows Mobile Treo talking to a GPS unit directly. Why would you want to do this? Well, it means you will be able to get maps and location-based information without having to load up (or pay for!) a full GPS-style application like TomTom or Copilot. TomTom is still best for driving use, but it's pretty cool to use GPS with, say, Google Maps or Live Search.

So, what do you need to do?

Get a bluetooth GPS receiver 'puck'. The TreoCentral Store (http://store.treocentral.com) sells several standalone GPS receivers, though the GPS receives that come with TomTom or Copilot also work. Basically, anything that transmits NMEA data over bluetooth should work.

(the one I love is the Holux GPSlim unit from buygpsnow.com - so small, and the battery life is AWEsome.)

Pair up your GPS receiver with your Treo.

Turn on the GPS receiver and bluetooth on your Treo
    Go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth
    Tap Devices, New Partnership. When your GPS unit shows up, choose that. The passcode (if asked) is nearly always '0000'.
    Be sure to check the box next to 'Serial Port' on the next screen, then you may tap Finish

You'll need to set up a 'Hardware COM port'. To do this, go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth. Then tap the 'COM Ports' tab and tap 'New Outgoing Port'. Select your GPS receiver on the next screen, then you can usually just stick with whatever COM port WM suggests (COM 8, in my case).

(...At this point, you've gone far enough to get GPS working properly with some WM apps like Virtual Earth Mobile or Wiondows Live Search for mobile beta. In either of these applications, you can go into preferences and just set the COM port to the above hardware port.)

Google Maps, however, needs Windows Mobile to tell it where your GPS is. To set that up, there's one last set. Go into Settings, System, GPS. On the 'Programs' tab, choose a random COM Port (I chose COM 5). Then tap the 'Hardware' tab, in this tab you'll need to select the Hardware COM port from Step 3 (COM 8, in my case). You should be able to leave the Baud rate at the default 4800. Finally, in the 'Access' tab make sure that 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)' is checked.

Finally, at this point, you then check the 'Track Location (GPS)' within Google Maps' Menu and it will work - Google Maps automatically gets the correct COM port from Windows Mobile. If you make it all the way to Step 4, you may want to use that COM port in Virtual Earth and Windows Live Search as well. These steps are a bit of a technical hassle, but they're well worth it. (These instructions were cribbed from the excellent Windows Mobile Team Blog ).
    well here's the deal. while on the freeway heading to the airport I gave this another shot and whar can I say... it works quite well. I'm now in vegas and its still working. I'll test again in hawaii and let you all know. I guess there is just bad coverage outside my apartment and around school. that stinks since I'm in those places the most but its probably when I need it the least. hope everyone is finally getting this to work.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Thanks so much for your response JohnnyMac. You completely answered everything that I was asking. I really appreciate you also giving a very thorough detailed directions so that when I purchase a gps receiver I will know exactly what to do. It sounds easy enough. Hopefully this will help other noobs like me. Thanks again.
    JohnnyMac.....I think you need to take a day off from posting to rest up, that was quite the entry LOL!!!!! (definetly worth setting aside for people to refer to as they go 'GPS') Great description!!!!

and......

mattkeo....I'm glad it's working for you, but do you have to rub it into our faces all the really cool places you get to go to?!?!?! Kidding....enjoy your travels and stay safe through this Holiday season!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Jmattkeo....I'm glad it's working for you, but do you have to rub it into our faces all the really cool places you get to go to?!?!?! Kidding....enjoy your travels and stay safe through this Holiday season!!!!!
    just traveling home for the holidays. I can't help it if home is in hawaii and I have layover in vegas! it sure beats snow!

btw: I just tried navizon and back to the "no location found" I guess signal isn't that great in hawaii either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkeo View Post
    just traveling home for the holidays. I can't help it if home is in hawaii and I have layover in vegas! it sure beats snow!

btw: I just tried navizon and back to the "no location found" I guess signal isn't that great in hawaii either.
    I'll let you go on that one then.....enjoy the Holidays, and stay safe!!! I am stuck in Syracuse, NY (AKA.....snowland USA)!!!!!
    I tried navizon + google maps again at another location in LA and had an accuracy of .6 miles from where I actually was.
    Obviously I agree JohnnyMac about getting a bluetooth gps module if accuracy is the primary concern. But for the purpose of quickly finding out whats in the area without knowing your exact location is handy... and you don't have to rely on keeping yet another device in your pocket or keychain, and keeping it charged.
    I have a standalone gps for my car... but for the times when I am not in my car, being able to closely approximate my location in mapping software with only my phone is quite neat.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Do you guys know if the treo even has the capability to give voice directions? I understand the wls doesn't currently offer it but I was curious as to whether there are programs that may eventually be able to do this or is it a hardware issue?
    aerajan - you have to get a paid app, to get spoken turn by turn directions. Go to www.telenav.com for an example. The thing I like about Telenav is that there are no maps to buy and have to keep updated. Their app is a service that you pay for over time (which some people don't like). The other option is to pay for a one-time purchase app like Tom Tom or any of the other ones that get talked about in these forums.

Personally, if I had to use a pay app, it would be Telenav, just because I want to keep my SD card available for the 2000 songs I keep on it for music while I'm driving (yes - listening to music whilst driving - don't judge me!).

The point is, to answer your question - getting voice directions is not a hardware issue; it's an application issue.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123