Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok, I just wanted to confirm if anyone has actually gotten navizon to track position on a 700w/wx ?

Here is what I have done:
    1. Settings -> System -> GPS (GPD9 , COM4)
    2. Navizon options: Virt. GPS, baud 4800, no auto start, output port com4
    3. Start Navizon
    4. Get Green phone and yellow wifi (sd wifi card not in)
    5. No positioning info

Note: I get the memory error mention above, and to fix this you have to do the same method you use when putting in your mini sd wifi. You have to first put the phone into flight mode (hold red power), and soft reset. Then when it comes back, you can start navizon and then turn the flight mode off (hold red power again).

With all of this, I still get no position. Any ideas or comments?
    2. Navizon options: Virt. GPS, baud 4800, no auto start, output port com4
    Ammended:
    2. Navizon options: Virt. GPS, baud 4800, no auto start, output port com4, load output driver into memory (checked)
    I have Navizon working, but the location is off by a mile. I tried the latest release and beta and both "work" the same.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Are there any settings different than what I have listed? Do you check the box to load the driver into memory? Same com ports and GPD port?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdisrael View Post
    Are there any settings different than what I have listed? Do you check the box to load the driver into memory? Same com ports and GPD port?
    Those settings look fine except you don't need to check the box to load driver into memory. Leave it unchecked. I can use both com 0 or com 4 on my 700wx sprint.
    Well I tried it again at home and now it started working. Though the position is 5.5 mi off! :-/ I wonder if it will improve if I drive around with it active? Thats a pretty worthless discrepancy.
    well after much effort i finally got it running. not working, just running. I even got it to load in live search. it would be cool if it actually showed where i was. It still shows me almost 50 miles north of where I am. Also the map on navizon shows a different location than the one on live search. odd. Tomorrow i'm gonna try driving around with it. I tried this morning and it located me once, but then stopped and said it could not locate me. Didn't work until i got back to my house. I'm not sure what the reason is. I even set my location on the web. oh well.
    I have a Verizon WX and have tried to get this working by blending instructions from the linked thread and what others have said in this thread. I cannot get this to work in google maps but it's working great with Live Search. If I view the map in Navizon itself it's way off but when I tell Live to show me where I'm at it's right on. Weird.
    I get the same thing. I have played around with the settings, and I have the vav map WAY off.....probably about 5-8 miles. Google maps....nothing. Live though has my location within a couple miles...not too bad. I will have to drive around and see what happens!!!
    ok so I've read all this, and have even tried it myself, and I can't help but say - why not just get a little GPS unit, from www.buygpsnow.com, and save yourself all this pain and hassle?

Why would I want to have to a) start Navizon, and then b) fire up either GMM or Live Search, only to STILL have it not show me right where I am?

My little Holux GPSlim unit works like a champ (or heck - get the one that's a keychain - even easier!) and it always tells me EXACTLY where I am. None of this 'off by 5 miles', or 'couple of miles' junkola. I need to know right where I am, and I just don't see the value of using this Navizon 'hack' - that's what I see this, as a hack.

(or maybe it's just the challenge of trying to get it all to work, which I understand, but still - jeez).

Make things simple! Just get a puck. Then use it with Live Search - much better when using a GPS device, than Google Maps.
    Okay I played some more and now all three programs show me at least 25 miles from where I'm actually located. This is frustrating, it's just so close but so far away
    For me it is more the challenge. I don't want/need a GPS for my phone, I have a stand-alone for my car, and I use my memory card ALL the time, so I don't want to carry anything extra, or worry about swapping them out all the time, I think that would be more tedious (sp) than opening a couple apps up.

The challenge is fun though!!!!!
    see - 25 miles. That's what I'm saying.

Get a GPS BT little puck thing and it will show EXACTLY where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    For me it is more the challenge. I don't want/need a GPS for my phone, I have a stand-alone for my car, and I use my memory card ALL the time, so I don't want to carry anything extra, or worry about swapping them out all the time, I think that would be more tedious (sp) than opening a couple apps up.

The challenge is fun though!!!!!

Yep, I get the challenge aspect. But if it won't show your accurate location, what good is all this anyway?

My tiny little Holux unit is with me all the time, for the most part, and all I have to do is turn it on, put it on the dashboard, fire up Live Search, and voila - I'm done. Exact location, distance to my next turn, etc - so sweet.

Couldn't be easier. (but that's just me - everyone has their own gig).
    The appeal of this solution is the all-in-one solution. I have the Freedom KeyRingGPS but I don't want to have to carry it around and remember to keep it charged.

Also, I want to use that new app from Vito where someone can send you an SMS with the right password and have the Treo send back your current location. If it's all integrated, I know that the sender will get a response, regardless of whether my GPS is on/charged/connected/with me.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post
    Yep, I get the challenge aspect. But if it won't show your accurate location, what good is all this anyway?

My tiny little Holux unit is with me all the time, for the most part, and all I have to do is turn it on, put it on the dashboard, fire up Live Search, and voila - I'm done. Exact location, distance to my next turn, etc - so sweet.

For true GPS, I have my Tom Tom in the car, all I have to do is turn it on...done....like you said, couldn't be easier.

The thing about this is....we have a device that does NOT have GPS, was not intended for use in location-finding without an added piece of hardware (Holux), and here we are...combining apps, making subtle changes in the settings, and doing something (hopefully) that this device was not made to do!!!

Now....THAT is a challenge and a rush every step closer.

I would agree with you 100% if I wanted true GPS, but just to accomplish something new.....that is what I like here!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    The appeal of this solution is the all-in-one solution. I have the Freedom KeyRingGPS but I don't want to have to carry it around and remember to keep it charged.

Also, I want to use that new app from Vito where someone can send you an SMS with the right password and have the Treo send back your current location. If it's all integrated, I know that the sender will get a response, regardless of whether my GPS is on/charged/connected/with me.
    Which app from Vito is that? Sounds interesting!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by syrguy1969 View Post
    Which app from Vito is that? Sounds interesting!!!!
    VITO Find ME

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Thanks for posting that Malatesta, it does sound interesting, but definetly not for use with this fix, I can just imagine your friends relying on a setting from the playing around we are doing in here, and winding up across town LOL. I would definetly look into this if I had GPS though!!
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMac View Post

Yeah..what fun is that???

I don't even use this navizon anymore (it worked with my 750), and I am the OP here. Used wayyyy to much RAM and resources, slowed me down to a crawl, and needed resets all the time. It was almost accurate (a block off here and there) but not worth the hassle...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast