1.    #1  
    I'm on that $99 a month unlimited plan (AT&T Blue) and have been for years. Recently, I noticed that my 750 for the last 3 days has only been able to connect to the Edge network in my area (Miami). I've used it for months with the 3G and H networks. I call to find out if there has been an outage and they tell me no. They do give me some BS about my sim card not being 3G compatible. This is, of course, a way to switch me to the new 3G card and then take me off of the $99 a month plan.

Does anyone know if this is a tactic from AT&T to prevent Blue users from using their best network and then being forced to upgrade?
    Palm III -> Palm m105 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 650 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 680 -> Cingular Treo 750 (now unlocked!)
    Why would they have to force you to pay for a SIM replacement? Isn't a satisfied customer worth more than a dissatisfied one?

Big companies can changes policies, at times, at the expense of the consumers.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 12/15/2007 at 10:34 AM.
  3.    #3  
    They want to force people on my plan into a SIM replacement because that would take us off that plan. I use like 4000 to 6000 minutes a month. They could be charging so much more. So it is a sneaky way of getting us to change without getting the bad PRPRPR $of$ $just$ $cancelling$ $that$ $plan$ $alltogether$ $and$ $risk$ $losing$ $a$ $bunch$ $of$ $customers$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$. $This$ $way$, $they$ $change$ $them$ $little$ $by$ $little$ $so$ $that$ $no$ $one$ $really$ $notices$ $or$ $complains$ $in$ $mass$, $just$ $maybe$ $one$ $or$ $two$ $at$ $a$ $time$.
    Palm III -> Palm m105 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 600 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 650 -> Unlocked GSM Treo 680 -> Cingular Treo 750 (now unlocked!)
    Are you still on contract with AT&T? When you got the 750, did they not require you to sign up with a renewal of your contract?

If you are still under contract, then you can request to get the new SIM card without changing the terms of your contract.
  5.    #5  
    Nope. I paid full price for the phone. My contract expired probably 4 years ago. They won't allow renewing of the contract under any circumstances. I once asked if I could renew for 10 or more years. lol They said no. lol
    Yes this is true. you need a 3g sim to access the 3g network. AT&T here in boston switches card from me and my users all time without any issue. Sim cards can fail or be accidentailly lost...so see if you can just get a new card. Hell, send me a prepaid envelope and ill send you one....
    ---------------------------------------------------
    AT&T user with
    Treo 650
    Treo 680
    Treo 750 WM6
    BB Pearl
    BB 8310
    BB 8820
    Good Mobile Messaging Admin
    ver. 4.9 and 5.0 with 1535 users
    BES Admin
    ver. 4.1.4 with 1457 users
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I don't think (but am not sure) that you can use an AT&T/Cingular SIM on an "ATTWS" plan. I could be mistaken. Just having a SIM is not enough, they have to register that SIM with your account.
  8.    #8  
    Not sure I understand. I have one of the old 32 bit SIM Cards that they SAY is not compatible, but I used it for 4 or 5 months with no problem. Now I think they are just trying to force me to change to a 64bit (3G) SIM and if I do that they SAY that I have to change my plan. Which type of card would you be able to send me? I think I have an extra one. My fear is that even if I have a 3G card, they won't want to transfer my account to that new 3G card.
  9.    #9  
    You are correct holmes. I have been using an old SIM chip on the 3G Network actually longer than 4 or 5 months. IN February when I got my Treo 750, I used the HSDPA hack until I got the WM6 unofficial update in August and that was working fine as well. So they LIE about it not being compatible.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamluvinlife View Post
    Yes this is true. you need a 3g sim to access the 3g network. AT&T here in boston switches card from me and my users all time without any issue. Sim cards can fail or be accidentailly lost...so see if you can just get a new card. Hell, send me a prepaid envelope and ill send you one....
    Puhleaze... stop spreading misinformation. Old blue SIMs work fine on the 3G network. Go to howardforums.com and ask the question there if you have to. Sounds like AT&T may be having network issues in Miami; but 3G on an unlocked 750 with a blue sim worked fine in Dallas over the weekend,
  11.    #11  
    I certainly hope that you are correct and that it is just a network issue in the Miami area.
    I know this might not be feasable.... but OP, can you borrow a friend, or coworker's sim (who has a new ATT or older Cingular "3g" sim card) and pop it into your phone? See if you get 3G back...

I'm with others on this thread in that I've never seen any evidence that a "non 3g" sim card prohibiting access to 3G speeds....
    "non-3G" cards work fine on 3G networks. I'm not with ATT, but I had my SIM card 3 years before my provider put 3G online. Didn't work in the beginning cause the signal strength for 3G wasn't there, but once HSDPA went online and I got a phone that supported it, all is great. Funny enough, my GPRS APN is also my gateway for my 3G/HSDPA access (for some reason their new APN doesn't work for me).

My operator was kind enough though to set up a service where I just had to send a sms (using their format) to tell them to activate/register 3G on my card (they first offered me a free SIM, but then realised the SMS method was cheaper so never sent it).

So, yes a "non-3G" SIM will work on the network...ATT are lying if they say it won't (can't imagine why they don't just use the sms registration method to make it cheaper for themselves)...and I'm in "backwards" Indonesia, so if they can make it work here, they sure as hell can make it work over there.
  14.    #14  
    Well, I just spoke with a customer service rep and they confessed that yes, AT&T is trying to eliminate Charter Plan users and the reason they haven't done it before was because some people were still under contract. They are going to be eliminating a large amount in February of 2008 and the rest in the summer of 2008. So yes, they are actively preventing my phone from accessing the 3G network. I contacted a friend of mine that lives 2 miles away from me, has the exact same phone, but is on a regular plan and he says that he has had no issues with the 3G network, so it's definately not a network issue.

Might be time for me to look into MetroPCS? lol
    Switched from a Cingular 3125 with the Smartphone data plan and to a Treo 750. The ROM in the 750 is upgraded with an official release of WM6. Moved over my sim and it works just fine on 3G where available in the lovely state of WA. It worked fine on the 3G network in Portland to.
  16.    #16  
    Well, this is the latest.... After speaking to numerous reps, tech people, and the device repair location, what I have been told is that by February 2008, most Blue users will be phased out and by the summer of 2008, all Blue users should be phased out. I was also told that they are "upgrading" towers and the like and disconnecting obsolete systems or at the very least not continuing to support them. This is supposedly why I cannot log in to 3G anymore. I was able to (on my own, no thanks to AT&T) reconnect to the internet via EDGE. So my 750 has been crippled down to the EDGE network for voice and for data. I'll probably hold on to it like this for a bit more and see what happens.

I did complain and they are willing to give me a $50 credit to sign a 2 year contract on one of their other "orange" plans.

So complain and complain and complain and let's see what we can get out of it. Unfortunately, no other service out there has anything better with the reliablity and data speed. But for now, as I said, I am going to remain on the EDGE network and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent View Post
    Well, this is the latest.... After speaking to numerous reps, tech people, and the device repair location, what I have been told is that by February 2008, most Blue users will be phased out and by the summer of 2008, all Blue users should be phased out. I was also told that they are "upgrading" towers and the like and disconnecting obsolete systems or at the very least not continuing to support them. This is supposedly why I cannot log in to 3G anymore. I was able to (on my own, no thanks to AT&T) reconnect to the internet via EDGE. So my 750 has been crippled down to the EDGE network for voice and for data. I'll probably hold on to it like this for a bit more and see what happens.

I did complain and they are willing to give me a $50 credit to sign a 2 year contract on one of their other "orange" plans.

So complain and complain and complain and let's see what we can get out of it. Unfortunately, no other service out there has anything better with the reliablity and data speed. But for now, as I said, I am going to remain on the EDGE network and see what happens.
    Wrong again. TDMA is being phased out. Blue plans for GSM ain't going anywhere.