1.    #1  
    I wasn't able to get this working with my dell xp laptop (usb or bt) with wm5. The connection would die after a minute.

now I have wm6. I would appreciate a tutorial or link on how to set this up successfully.

thanks in advance.
    I'm not sure about XP, maybe someone else could chime in with the modification to this technique, but I got the WM6 Bluetooth Internet Sharing to work with Vista and connect through ATT. Here's how:
    • I Set up the pairing on the Treo 750 with the unbranded version of WM6
    • Deselected ActiveSync in the Partnership Settings window of the BT pairings window
    • Called up Internet Sharing and set the PC Connection to Bluetooth PAN and the Network Connection to ATT
    • On the Vista laptop, I went into Bluetooth Devices in Control Panel and Added the Treo as a phone.
    • IMPORTANT - during the setup, i configured an eight character passkey. Without it, Vista will not find the phone for the connection, later.
    • All of the above settings should remain in place. The next section should be all that is required for future connections...
    • Clicked on the Connect button on the Treo's Internet Sharing
    • Right clicked on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray on the laptop and selected Join a Personal Area Network
    • and then clicked on Connect.

That was it. Sounds harder than it really is.
    Assuming that you have WM6 loaded, the other option, of course, is with USB. Not only is it easier to set up initially, it also has the added benefit of powering your device while using the battery sucking data connectivity for longer sessions.

Connect your treo via USB. On the Treo, open "Internet Sharing" and choose the USB connection and network, then click "Connect".

Your PC should recognize a new USB network connection automatically.

That's it!

*note: I use ATT and have 3 options under network. ICS, ATT and Proxy. The only one that works for me is proxy so you may have a bit of trial and error to determine which connection to use. Just watch to make sure that it shows "connected" after you click connect.
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    OPTIMOGREEN
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlerner View Post
    *note: I use ATT and have 3 options under network. ICS, ATT and Proxy. The only one that works for me is proxy so you may have a bit of trial and error to determine which connection to use. Just watch to make sure that it shows "connected" after you click connect.
    And the only one that works for me is "AT&T". Go figure. But otherwise I agree with it all.
  6.    #6  
    thanks. now I know what to try. I will report any issues.

will treo charge from usb w/o a double plug - power and data?
    Quote Originally Posted by esamett View Post
    will treo charge from usb w/o a double plug - power and data?
    Yes. (Finally!)
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    And the only one that works for me is "AT&T". Go figure. But otherwise I agree with it all.
    Same with me on AT&T. Does anyone know what the difference is between the three: ICS, AT&T, and Proxy?
    One works and the other 2 don't.

Seriously though, no clue. All I know is that it works and works well.

BTW: I highly recommend using the USB for anything more than a quick email connect. HSDPA sucks battery. At least with the USB connection, your battery level can hold it's ground while it's heating up that antena. (turns the back of my treo into a mild hand warmer)
    Treo 750 | AT&T | WM6| TREO750-2.27-RWE | FW 1.54.01.00

My Treo freeware apps - http://slicktools.itrello.com
    My favorite software picks - http://slicktools.itrello.com/750-picks.html
    ICS works for me when I am in an area where 3g is available. In Edge areas, AT&T is the one that seems to work.

Saved my **** last weekend when a freak storm took down phone service, so my home DSL line was out from Thursday until Monday. I tethered the Treo to my USB port, and all was well!
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoconvert View Post
    ICS works for me when I am in an area where 3g is available. In Edge areas, AT&T is the one that seems to work.

Saved my **** last weekend when a freak storm took down phone service, so my home DSL line was out from Thursday until Monday. I tethered the Treo to my USB port, and all was well!
    Similar situation. I forgot to pay the bill though, and using internet sharing through USB was so easy to set up, I'll be using this again if the problem arises again.