Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can anyone please tell me what is the best GPS for Palm 700wx - thanks!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just purchased the TOM TOM navigator through Palm's website nad it is awesome. I would not have any other kind.
    i'm a noob with my palm... i wanted to know how i can put a gps in there because i always get lost when i'm driving. do i have to pay a fee to install in into my phone? or is there a program that i can download it for free.
    Does anyone search anymore?
    END OF LINE
    Does anyone search anymore?
    Precisely what I was thinking!
    The Treo doesn't have a built in GPS receiver. You need to buy a bluetooth gps receiver. Any one with SirfIII chips would be great. I have an IBlue. Check out semsons or buygpsnow.

You can use GoogleMaps and LiveSearch with your new bluetooth gps receiver, but for turn by turn navigating without data charges and with quick timely responses you are best bet to use a navigating software like TomTom or Inav. I've used both, and I pick TomTom 6 over Inav 4.

Search the threads for best gps receiver or tomtom or inav.

Hope that helps u both.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lonur1 View Post
    I just purchased the TOM TOM navigator through Palm's website nad it is awesome. I would not have any other kind.
    For what im understanding,you are using your palm as a screen for gps. Can you receive a phone call while you are on gps. If so, when you answer it will you loss the navigation? thanks!
    That's what I love about Tomtom more than Inav. Tomtom does a good job of minimizing and muting itself during a phone call and restoring itself after phone call. It will initially minimize and mute, then during call it will re-maximize and still remain muted...so you can navigate but not have TomTom nagging you with voice. After the end of call the voice will come back on.

On my 700w, I had some bluetooth drop out issues while using bluetooth headset, bluetooth gps, while navigating and talking on phone, but with my 700wx it seems to work perfectly.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I'm glad that I did a search rather than creating a new post.

Someone please explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old. From what I have read here, the Treo 700w does not have a GPS receiver. It apparently does have some form of GPS software in the device but that is moreso a legal compliance as all phones are required to have GPS in them now. But to get some sort of driving directions GPS software in my Treo, I need to get some sort of external GPS in addition to software.

I looked at Tomtom Navigator. If I understand it correctly it is a SD card that has the Navigator software on it and also some sort of external GPS receiver?

This solution costs $300. That's fair enough but for $300 I can buy a brand new GPS navigation device with all of the bells and whistles that has a bigger screen than my Treo has, includes bluetooth so my Treo will be hands-free when in the car and doesn't suck up all of my limited resources of my Treo as it is a stand-alone unit.

So a few questions:

Are my assumptions above correct?

Is the advantage of getting the Tomtom Navigation software only for the purposes of having a single device?

Is there another more cost-effective solution out there?

Thanks in advance.
    Yes you need external receiver and while you can use google maps and/or live search...they require a data connection, which not all of you have or may not always have a nice speedy evdo connection. Moreover neither have turn by turn speaking directions or automatic route re-calculation when you leave the original route.

You can get software here for 150.
    http://store.treocentral.com/content...0-69--1551.htm

You can start with Inav if you want cheaper alternative....
    http://www.semsons.com/igv4noamforp.html

and receiver for 59 here.
    http://www.semsons.com/im5blgpsre32.html
    Here's what I have and am VERY pleased with the config :
    1. Spectec SDG-812 SDIO bluetoot (with 512Mb microSD) : $90 (incl. shipping)
    2. MicroSD of 2Gb store pickup : $25
    3. iGuidance 4 with text-to-speech (says streets names) : $99

The SDG-812 Bluetooth connects without a problem and leaves the full SD slot bandwidth to access the maps on the microSD. It works flawlessly.

Just a side note, AVOID the non-bluetooth version SDG-810. The Treo doesn't have enough bandwidth to support and the GPS and the maps on the microSD.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberrico View Post
    This solution costs $300. That's fair enough but for $300 I can buy a brand new GPS navigation device with all of the bells and whistles that has a bigger screen than my Treo has, includes bluetooth so my Treo will be hands-free when in the car and doesn't suck up all of my limited resources of my Treo as it is a stand-alone unit.
    For $200 (after $50 rebate -- good 'till Dec 31) you can have the PHAROS Drive GPS 250 from newegg.com. Uses NAVTEQ maps. I started off with a pharos when I purchased streets and trips many years ago... pharos been in the game a while...

Review of the product:

http://www.directionsmag.com/article..._id=2649&trv=1

It makes little sense to buy all that stuff for a small-screen treo.... good gps devices have dropped to reasonable prices now....

And if you wanted to go cheaper the pharos 150 is $99...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16858179025
    Last edited by theog; 12/22/2007 at 09:39 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    All,

Just got the Tom Tom 720 GPS unit for Christmas. It syncs up quickly via blue tooth and can make calls and etc throught the phone. In fact the 720 is the best bluetooth handsfree device I have found in both hearability and voice input. However, I cannot get the Tom Tom to download the full set of contacts which limits functionality to make calls through Tom Tom. Also, I cannot get it to sync up with the data connection through my phone to access the traffic and SMS functions. Anyone have any ideas?
    Semper Fidelis
    Fred
    Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberrico View Post
    Is the advantage of getting the Tomtom Navigation software only for the purposes of having a single device?
    From everything I have researched on the subject, yes, the only advantage is having a single device. Which, if you own an iPod or any other multitude of devices for your car, adds up and takes up space.

Personally, I'd rather have everything in one device than search all over my car trying to figure out which device's screen to press next, text-to-speech be damned.
    Personally, I'd rather have everything in one device than search all over my car trying to figure out which device's screen to press next, text-to-speech be damned.
    I agree with the 1 device, although I'm wondering about the case of GPS. What about when a call comes in? I'm not one to use the earbud - does the phone accept the call without issue when getting directions? And what about if you need to use the phone and GPS at the same time? Just wondering before I decide which way to go. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber75sax View Post
    From everything I have researched on the subject, yes, the only advantage is having a single device. Which, if you own an iPod or any other multitude of devices for your car, adds up and takes up space.

A new device in your windshield take ups space? Are you on a motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by redifrogger
    I agree with the 1 device, although I'm wondering about the case of GPS. What about when a call comes in? I'm not one to use the earbud - does the phone accept the call without issue when getting directions? And what about if you need to use the phone and GPS at the same time? Just wondering before I decide which way to go. Thanks.
    If you are lucky you won't have to reset or miss your next turn... worse yet, trying to fumble around with trying to get it out the holder since you will have a power cord hooked up to it.

I picked up the pharos 150 and it is a great device. It ended up being $109 (shipped)... how much did we say we could hook a palm device for?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redifrogger View Post
    Personally I love the convenience of using my Treo 700wx with TomTom as a GPS device. When a call comes in, it kicks out to the today screen so you can take the call, you answer, then it goes back to TomTom with the GPS sounds muted. I use a BT headset with the phone so I just answer the call and I can talk and use the GPS simultaneously.
    Personally I love the convenience of using my Treo 700wx with TomTom as a GPS device. When a call comes in, it kicks out to the today screen so you can take the call, you answer, then it goes back to TomTom with the GPS sounds muted. I use a BT headset with the phone so I just answer the call and I can talk and use the GPS simultaneously.
    Thanks - I see how that can work too. I was wondering how you could do both - good foresight on the design.
    Dumped my T700wx for a Curve 8310 just for the GPS integration. Well, that and the Treo was a battery guzzling brick for me (sorry - it wouldn't get through an entire day even and still had Winblowz system issues). And the GPS on the 8310 is great. I do wish that you could use the phone and GPS at the same time, but no joy on that one. Still, as a road warrior, it means just one skinny little crackberry and nothing else to loose, charge, leave in the rental, etc. And makes life a hell of a lot easier on the road
    I use a GPSlim236 BT GPS receiver with my 700wx which I bought new on EBay for about $40. I use it with Google Maps. The only real problem I've had with it was on a trip to Canada last year when I didn't have a data connection. No data connection, no Google Maps. I tried using Pocket Streets which comes with Microsoft Streets and Trips, but that's basically worthless, especially considering that you have to preload the maps.

Google Maps does enough to get me around, but you have to have a data connection. I suggest getting a BT GPS receiver, trying it out with Google Maps, and then upgrading to software like Tom Tom. I plan to get it Next trip I take where there might not be a data connection.

I'm usually using Windows Media Player for music while driving, with Google Maps running simultaneously. No problems with that. When making or taking calls I use a BT headset, which pauses the Media Player, resuming where it left off after the call. To get Google Maps back, I have to go through the start button, but it then quickly goes back to the GPS map without having to restart. I have a 4 GB SDHC card full of music, so I wouldn't want a GPS program or hardware that requires its own SD card.

I use Live Search for traffic updates which also works simultaneously with Windows Media Player, but sometimes it seems to have issues requiring a reboot. i was actually searching for Live Search issues or complaints and solutions when I came across this thread. I haven't tried to figure out if Live Search will work with the GPS.

I use a vent mount cell phone mount from Radio Shack in one vehicle and a suction cup windshield mount in another. Either way I never have to take the Treo out of the holder except when it locks up and I have to reboot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast