1.    #1  
    No matter how big the battery on your phone, you'll always want to get a little more life out of it. Lately many phones - especially Windows Mobile phones - have been shaving their batteries down to achieve better form factors. So this guide, Part IV in the series (the rest are here), will tell you the tips and tricks you need to know to max out the battery life on your Windows Mobile smartphone.

The following may sound like a obvious statement, but it is important to have this line of thought when optimizing your phone to save battery power: In order to increase your battery life you need to decrease the power used. There are many things you can do to decrease the power used. Some of the steps may be changing the default settings, including possibly tweaking the registry of your phone, while others may included adapting some of your habits while using your phone.

The first step in increasing your battery life is to identify the most common sources of battery drain and take steps to minimize their impact on the life of your battery per charge. When I am talking about battery drain or conservation issues, there are a lot of little things you can do that make a HUGE difference. My goal is to provide the most comprehensive list of battery saving tips you have seen in one place before. Now lets start looking at these power hungry culprits that will suck the life right out of your battery and the steps we all need to take to limit the drain on our battery as much as possible. I have divided this up into 4 sections including Connections, Usage Habits, Tools, and Advanced.

Read more at http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...ry_life_o.html
    One thing not mentioned which makes a huge difference is whether bluetooth is discoverable or not. If bluetooth is on AND discoverable it will drain battery as fast as WIFI, as it constantly broadcasts its presence, whereas if its just on, in passive mode, it uses very little battery life.

Another big thing not mentioned is with 3G GSM devices. If you drop down to EDGE speeds most of the time you battery life would increase tremendously, and then you could activate 3G only when you want to use your slingbox. There are a new HTC connection manager floating around which lets you easily select whether you want to use 3G or EDGE only.

Something else i wanted to add was how many active processes you have. If you have many programs running in the background and your processor usage is high, your battery will be less. An example of apps which uses a lot of cycles even when idle would be gif animations on a web page you are not viewing, and javascript on the same page running constantly, and the camera app, which is constantly measuring light levels from the camera.

Lastly, for those who are into extreme power saving, apparently flashing LED's actually does use up quite a bit of standby time, so if you use an app to disable them your standby time would increase by a few hours.

Surur
    Great write up Hobbes!

Can I throw in this one confirmed for GSM users, though I think it may work with CDMA too..?

GB-SOFT GPRS (freeware)

It's a small program that goes under Settings that basically times-out the data connection after a "X" period of non-use. The same feature is available in PhoneAlarm (full, not lite) too, though I heard it can be wonky with some users.

http://www.gb-soft.cz/XDAII/images/wm5pe_GPRS_5.png

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Great write up Hobbes!

Can I throw in this one confirmed for GSM users, though I think it may work with CDMA too..?

GB-SOFT GPRS (freeware)

It's a small program that goes under Settings that basically times-out the data connection after a "X" period of non-use. The same feature is available in PhoneAlarm (full, not lite) too, though I heard it can be wonky with some users.

http://www.gb-soft.cz/XDAII/images/wm5pe_GPRS_5.png
    +1 one for that software. I have mine time out after 2 minutes after RSS updates and pocket weather. Might want to go to Oxxios (freeware) to close active apps. By battery saver too!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    That is what I love about this community.....All Great comments and loads of great additional info.