Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First off YMMV. If you like WM6 and think it's great, all the power to you.

what I have done recently:

start with WM5
    update to official 2.25 ROM via desktop updater
    re-update to 2.25 ROM with no AT&T bloatware
    update to 2.23 Unbranded ROM
    "update" to CNG WM5 rom

for me... seriously the only advantage I saw out of WM6 was the on screen speakerphone button and ability to add control of the extended rom (I'm still looking for a WM5 version of this). That's it. Not enough to make up for:

official HSDPA breaking Google Maps My Location feature
    slowness of menus

I had to use the SD update method to load WM5, and so my 750 still thinks its at 2.25. This prevented the audio update patch from applying, but I never noticed any issues with my original wm5 flash without it, so I'll live with it.. If anyone has a desktop updater for WM5 I'd love to have it.

So I applied the HSDPA hack, and have my 700+ speeds back and Google My Location Works. I applied the TCPMP and flash video bundle hack so I can do youtube. None of the other "enhancements" to WM6 mean anything to me. I understand some of them may be be dear to some folks. The reason I'm posting this, is to tell folks, that if you are happy with your WM5 distribution, keep it. I wish I had never "upgraded".
    Last edited by mtiberio; 12/09/2007 at 06:37 AM.
  2. umc
    My main reason for updating was that my phone wouldn't recognize my SD card, unless I ejected it every 5 minutes and put it back in. I don't have the problem now with WM6 and am happy. Other than that, I had no issues with WM5.
    interesting.
    As you said, more power to YOU

For me,
    I updated to the official WM6 ROM and I am still able to use the youtube flash/TCPMP bundle.
    My location feature is iffy - it works for me sometimes and other times it says no location available

I choose to keep WM6 coz of the search capability in the email. i can just start typing and it will filter the emails to what I type. Does WM5 allow you to do that? (I forget)

I also wanted VoiceCommand over BT.

Slowness of menus was handled by Memmaid for me.

What are other people experiencing with the official update? like it? not?
  4.    #4  
    yes, the you tube flash bundle hack worked under wm6, I read somewhere that perhaps it was not necessary, so the perceived advantage of wm6 is nullified, since it works well under wm5. thats all..

you may find that the "my location" feature working and not working under wm6 is due to whether or not you are in a HSDPS/3G area. if you are in a GSM are, it will work under wm6, if you are in a area that supports high speed, the only way to get it to work is to fix your phone to GSM.

Quote Originally Posted by tchan012 View Post
    I updated to the official WM6 ROM and I am still able to use the youtube flash/TCPMP bundle.
    My location feature is iffy - it works for me sometimes and other times it says no location available

I choose to keep WM6 coz of the search capability in the email. i can just start typing and it will filter the emails to what I type. Does WM5 allow you to do that? (I forget)

I also wanted VoiceCommand over BT.

Slowness of menus was handled by Memmaid for me.

What are other people experiencing with the official update? like it? not?
    I am desparate to get back to WM5. Where did you find it?
    I just did the upgrade...I see the menus respond much quicker so far, that's it. LOL...I have upgraded 5 mins ago, so first impression is already a good one. I also like the "E" for Edge, and on a more superficial note, it's "prettier".

What do you guys hate about it so much? I'm very curious.
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

Internet Sharing tethering app --> Awesome

7. yud
    For me:

1. Phone used to ring 5-10 sec after actual call comes through. With WM6 it rings immediately
    2. Under WM5 when you answered an incoming call it took approx 5 seconds before you hear anything or before the other side heard you. WM6 resolved it
    3. Memory card used to "disappear" every couple of days. Had to eject the card or soft reset to get it back. WM6 resolved it
    4. WM6 (vanillized 3 Australia ROM) appears to be faster than WM5, although I did not measure speed

If you experience any of the above: WM6 is recommended.

NO WAY I'm going back to WM5!

Y.
    Treo 750 WM6 ROM (was 3 Australia, now vanilla) + 2GB miniSD
    Tungsten T3

no longer (thank goodness):
    Dopod 838 Pro
    I like the looks of 6. That's about it. hsdpa slightly slower, most of my haacks with 5 are gone, and the big reason, really the only reason, is I cant use onebridge for notes pim access on 6.
  9.    #9  
    mytreo forum has the wm5 rom downloadable from their site.
  10.    #10  
    oops. mytreo has wm6. xda-developers has links to wm5 rom @ rapidshare
    The ability to view HTML email in WM6 is another huge step forward, IMO.
    I like it. I've just spent an hour playing around and customizing it. Haven't made a phone call, browsed the Internet, or texted yet, but I didn't have any problems with any of the above with WM5.2.2 + HSDPA hack, so it should be just fine. I like the Edge icon. LOL...I wonder if there is an H icon, besides the U.

This is like having a new toy. lol...ALL I want now is the higher resolution of at least 320x320. Then I would consider myself having the ultimate device. Yea, baby! I'm such a geek. lol
    Thanks for the link...
    Quote Originally Posted by yud View Post
    For me:

1. Phone used to ring 5-10 sec after actual call comes through. With WM6 it rings immediately
    2. Under WM5 when you answered an incoming call it took approx 5 seconds before you hear anything or before the other side heard you. WM6 resolved it
    3. Memory card used to "disappear" every couple of days. Had to eject the card or soft reset to get it back. WM6 resolved it
    4. WM6 (vanillized 3 Australia ROM) appears to be faster than WM5, although I did not measure speed

If you experience any of the above: WM6 is recommended.

NO WAY I'm going back to WM5!

Y.
    Hey mate!

I also like WM6 for some of these very reasons. May I ask what the "vanilized" Australia version entails that you like so much about it?

Thanks...
    Treo Pro | Blackberry Bold OS 4.6.0.167 | Slingbox PRO-HD | Plantronics 665 Bluetooth

15. yud
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchDude View Post
    Hey mate!

May I ask what the "vanilized" Australia version entails that you like so much about it?
    it's not particularly the vanilized version that I like. I don't even like WM6. But I hate it less than what I hated WM5...
    The main reason I vanilized the 3 ROM is to get all the bands selection. In the original 3 WM6 ROM there were only 2 or 3 bands to choose from:
    Auto
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS 2100
    GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)

Vanilizing it gives:
    Auto
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS 2100
    GSM(1900+850)+UMTS(1900+850)
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(2100+850)
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(850)

in addition, it gets rid of some of the 3 customized links (not important), and the ROM is smaller in size (nice to have). (I discovered it when I realized my backups are smaller).

Y.
    Tungsten T3

Dopod 838 Pro
    I loaded the official last night after running the "un-official" for the last several months and had to download the latest Google maps distro (Beta) and after doing the online configuration and setting up a new modem connection to use with Google Maps the My Location feature worked immediately. When I opened the app it was centered over my home location. I have not tried it outside as of yet but I will report back as to the functionality as soon as I can.
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(2100+850)
    GSM(900+1800)+UMTS(850)

Y.
    Hey Y, so you gain to choose between the two options I quoted above. What do you gain by that personally?

Also, what is it that you hate about Windows Mobile? Just the principle that Microsoft is in the late stages of taking over the mobile operating system world, or is there another reason?

Thanks...

18. yud
    you gain to choose between the two options I quoted above. What do you gain by that personally?
    I don't gain much, except for having the choice to manually switch to GSM when going overseas.
    (... and it was the thought of NOT having the full selection that was bothering me...)

what is it that you hate about Windows Mobile? Just the principle that Microsoft is in the late stages of taking over the mobile operating system world, or is there another reason?
    Thanks...
    I came to WM after 4-5 years in the Palm world, with devices running Palm OS. Although I played with WinCE and WM devices in my work, I never had to actually use one. When I switched from Tusngsten T3 to Dopod 838 Pro earlier this year it was a real shock to the system, which made me hate WM with a passion. I couldn't handle the Dopod and after suffering for 4 months I swapped it with the Treo 750. That improved things quite a bit. WM6 on the 750 was another step forward, but I still prefer Palm OS. By far!
    (...and that's why I will never even consider going back to WM5...)

Y.
    Tungsten T3

Dopod 838 Pro
    I don't gain much, except for having the choice to manually switch to GSM when going overseas.
    (... and it was the thought of NOT having the full selection that was bothering me...)
    Gotya. The principle of the thing.

I came to WM after 4-5 years in the Palm world, with devices running Palm OS. Although I played with WinCE and WM devices in my work, I never had to actually use one. When I switched from Tusngsten T3 to Dopod 838 Pro earlier this year it was a real shock to the system, which made me hate WM with a passion. I couldn't handle the Dopod and after suffering for 4 months I swapped it with the Treo 750. That improved things quite a bit. WM6 on the 750 was another step forward, but I still prefer Palm OS. By far!
    (...and that's why I will never even consider going back to WM5...)

Y.
    Hey Y,

Interesting. I used my first Treo (the 650) on the then-Cingular network and ran PalmOS as well. I liked it. However, the OS was a tad unstable. Opera Mini would crash the the device as soon as you clicked on the icon to launch it. Versamail was horrible, and so was the Blazer browser. The Chatter app. was awesome, though!

I still have the 650, and just used it as a flashlight to find something under a couch. lol...I was VERY weary about switching to Windows Mobile 5, and I would have immediately gotten the Treo 680, if it had only had 3G!! I had seen and played around with the 2003 mobile version and I hated it then.

Basically, I was FORCED into a WM Treo, the 750, and when it finally came out, I surprised myself at how much I liked it. And now WM6. A nice step up in both looks and "under the hood" improvements. One thing that bugs me is that I wish it was 320x320. The low resolution drives me nuts sometimes. But the scalability of Windows Mobile vs. ACCESS (the former Palm OS) is night and day IMO. It works so well with Vista's WDMC, integrates so well into Server 2003, etc., etc.

When do you, (and/or anyone else?) think we'll see a Treo with Windows Mobile and the higher res. screens??? I don't want another phone. I found it in the 650 initially...Liked 750 even better. The Centro is kinda ugly, though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast